San Francisco Grand Prix - BMC race

minerl

Aug 24, 2003
KGO channel 7 local to San Francisco covered the Women's and Men's race on Sunday.

I watched in the morning and KGO broke up the Women's race with lot's of other programming with barely any race coverage at all.

Did anyone watch the Men's race? Was it uninterupted coverage and did they say they might rebroadcast at another time? If so, did they say when? Thanks.

It's supposed to be on OLN next week.

I'm sure it's not the full race, but it should be good.

I wonder if you can contact KGO and request a copy?

Originally posted by FreeHueco
It's supposed to be on OLN next week.

I'm sure it's not the full race, but it should be good.

I wonder if you can contact KGO and request a copy?

Thanks. I tired KGO, but their recording said, sports is among the catagories of programming they wouldn't release tapes of...

It's on OLN thursday Sep 18, not sure if it's part of Sportszone or the race of the week. Check OLNTV.com

Originally posted by minerl
KGO channel 7 local to San Francisco covered the Women's and Men's race on Sunday.

I watched early in the morning and KGO broke up the Women's race with lot's of other programming with barely any race coverage at all.

Did anyone watch the Men's race? Was it uninterupted coverage and did they say they might rebroadcast at another time? If so, did they say when? Thanks.

I noticed also that the Women's race coverage was VERY disjointed with very little actual race coverage and a pre-race show that actually repeated for some reason.

The Men's coverage was virtually complete with only breaks for commercials. I DO have to say that the race announcing left MUCH to be desired and in particular Wyatt's (sp?) commentary was littered with goofs and gafs... Besides continually messing up on Lance's name "Lance 'Strong" (granted it seemed like a stutter which he corrected each time) he made interesting comments like "This race is the biggest in America, maybe even in the whole country...", and "and there is the big peloton" as opposed to what? the small one? :) Now I could be full of it, but I always thought there was a Peloton, and then other smaller groups or breakaways... He was also pronouncing it "Pelothon" like the Jerry Lewis "Pelothon" :) Of course he probably did a job 10 times better than I could ever do, but if this is a growing international event, they need to get a bit more polished in all areas instead of treating it like a neat weekend event :)

They need to export Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwen to do the live race commentary in SF...

I do love watching the race though, nothing like being there!

One other thing, the coverage shots did NOT do justice to how steep Taylor street really is! Its so steep that cars have to park perpendicular to the sidewalk and even then, When I used to drive a taller SUV it always felt like the thing was going to roll over sideways down the street... :) People have a tendency of falling out of their cars on the downward side as well :)

have a good one!

Feanor