San Francisco Ride/Bike Rental

Joel Roth

Guest
I will be in San Francisco at the end of June.
1. Where can I rent a reasonable bicycle in the city? I'll be staying at the Renassaince Parc 55
Hotel, which is near Market St. and 5th St.
2. Any suggestions for a 4-5 hour loop ride beginning in the city, near my hotel?

Thanks.

Joel

In article <[email protected]>, joel roth
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I will be in San Francisco at the end of June.
>1. Where can I rent a reasonable bicycle in the city? I'll be staying at the Renassaince Parc 55
> Hotel, which is near Market St. and 5th St.
>2. Any suggestions for a 4-5 hour loop ride beginning in the city, near my hotel?

There are a bunch of bike shops in the Fisherman's Wharf area that rent bikes to tourists. They
provide free maps for some of the more popular routes, especially heading out of the Golden Gate
Bridge, along the bay shore, and around the Marin Headlands and/or the Tiburon peninsula. You can
ride back across the bridge or take a ferry from various points in the north bay area.

If you want to stay in the city, the best biking is around the ocean and bay shore. The central
part of the city has lots of traffic during the day. Most of the major tourist areas are along the
coasts anyway.

If I had limited time in the city, I would walk rather than bike. Walk from downtown SF across the
Golden Gate bridge and take the ferry back. A lot less trouble than riding a bike for a few hours,
and you get to see a lot more without worrying about traffic.

Tom

"mary" <[email protected]> wrote in news:3ed27c75$0$78567$4d5ecec7 @reader.city-net.com:
> If I had limited time in the city, I would walk rather than bike. Walk from downtown SF across the
> Golden Gate bridge and take the ferry back. A lot less trouble than riding a bike for a few hours,
> and you get to see a lot more without worrying about traffic.

There are bike paths for almost the entire route from Fisherman's Wharf, across the bridge, to
Tiburon. And that would be a pretty long walk.

joel roth wrote:
> I will be in San Francisco at the end of June.
> 1. Where can I rent a reasonable bicycle in the city? I'll be staying at the Renassaince Parc 55
> Hotel, which is near Market St. and 5th St.
> 2. Any suggestions for a 4-5 hour loop ride beginning in the city, near my hotel?

Renting in Fishermen's wharf could be a little more expensive, as it is a tourist trap.

I'd suggest you try to rent from other bike stores if you can. How ever I don't live in SF, so I
can't give you any specifics about bike shops. Ask your hotel concierge(sp?)

One day rental would run you around $20-30. It is cheaper to rent by week, if you are staying
that long.

./Sujee
--
www.sujee.net email : [email protected]