San Francisco w/bike

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Ed Robbins, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. Ed Robbins

    Ed Robbins Guest

    Hello All,

    I'm looking for some information. I'm attending Javaone at the end of
    this month and will be in SF for a total of a week. Since I can't live
    without riding that long I'm thinking about taking my bicycle with me.

    I'm staying next to the Moscone center and won't have a car while I'm
    there, so I'm looking for ways to get out of the city to ride. I've
    been there twice before but never with an eye for riding, so any
    information would be much appreciated.

    I'd be looking for rides anywhere from 2 to 4 hours in length. TIA.

    Ed

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Ed Robbins <[email protected]> wrote in news:JuydnS51e7nrfFTdRVn-
    [email protected]:
    > I'm staying next to the Moscone center and won't have a car while I'm
    > there, so I'm looking for ways to get out of the city to ride.

    > I'd be looking for rides anywhere from 2 to 4 hours in length. TIA.

    Get a copy of the San Francisco Bike Map. I think you can get them from
    http://www.sfbike.org/ . On the back of the map are 3 different "scenic bike
    routes" with lengths 15, 25, and 30 miles. All 3 routes start at the
    Caltrain train station, which is about 1 mile south of Moscone center. All 3
    are pretty urban in nature. If you want a more rural route, head over the
    Golden Gate Bridge to the Marin Headlands or Mt Tam. You can get a bike
    route map of Marin from http://www.krebscycleproducts.com/

  3. Ed Robbins writes:

    > I'm looking for some information. I'm attending Javaone at the end
    > of this month and will be in SF for a total of a week. Since I
    > can't live without riding that long I'm thinking about taking my
    > bicycle with me.

    > I'm staying next to the Moscone center and won't have a car while
    > I'm there, so I'm looking for ways to get out of the city to ride.
    > I've been there twice before but never with an eye for riding, so
    > any information would be much appreciated.

    > I'd be looking for rides anywhere from 2 to 4 hours in length.

    I'm not sure whether you have a bicycle but a great and rewarding ride
    would be to ride along the bay front on Embarcadero past Fisherman's
    Wharf and around Ghirardelli Square to Marina Blvd. This will take
    you to the Golden Gate bridge to ride across to Sausalito from where a
    bicycle path on the old NWP RR dike goes to Mill Valley. Take East
    Blithedale avenue into the mountain and take the Old Mount Tamalpais &
    Muir Woods RR right-of-way to the top of Mt. Tamalpais. This is an
    unpaved vehicle road not open to motor vehicles except on a short
    stretch that is paved and has houses (solid black line in the grey
    area). Train platforms at Double Bow Knot are still in good shape for
    the RR junction to Muir Woods.

    This is the most scenic and refreshing ride of the area. The return
    from the top is easier made on the paved road along panoramic highway
    back to HWY 1 and Sausalito/SF. Fat tires advisable although I ride
    it on my 25mm road tires.

    http://tinyurl.com/22rl7

    The RR is the faint grey line starting at the red cursor and snaking
    its way up to Double Bow Knot and beyond.

    http://tinyurl.com/2p66k

    The cursor shows the RR park at the summit kiosk, Coke machine, and
    rest rooms. This map also shows Double Bow Knot and West Point with
    the RR a grey line crossing contours.

    http://www.ironhorse129.com/Railroad/mill_valley_branch.htm
    http://www.ironhorse129.com/Railroad/MV_to_DblBow.htm

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Ed,

    I'm going to JavaOne as well. Arriving on Sunday. Wanna try to hook up for
    a ride? Drop me an e-mail at
    (remove the SPAMSUX)

    [email protected]

    Dave

    "Ed Robbins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm looking for some information. I'm attending Javaone at the end of
    > this month and will be in SF for a total of a week. Since I can't live
    > without riding that long I'm thinking about taking my bicycle with me.
    >
    > I'm staying next to the Moscone center and won't have a car while I'm
    > there, so I'm looking for ways to get out of the city to ride. I've
    > been there twice before but never with an eye for riding, so any
    > information would be much appreciated.
    >
    > I'd be looking for rides anywhere from 2 to 4 hours in length. TIA.
    >
    > Ed

  5. Ray Swartz

    Ray Swartz Guest

    Another, less strenuous route, is to go over the GG bridge and follow
    Bridgeway down into Sausalito, through Sausalito to the bike path
    described above. At the end of the bike path (East Blithsdale), turn
    left. At the next street (Camino Alto) turn right and go up and over
    the hill. At the stop sign on the other side of the hill, turn right
    onto Tiburon Road. Follow Tiburon Road, over the freeway. Just past
    there, follow the road as it turns to the right, where it becomes
    Paradise Road. Stay on Paradise Road as it goes around Tiburon
    peninsula and into the town of Tiburon. This is a great place to stop
    for something to eat. If you want, you can take the ferry back to the
    SF embarcadero or continue riding out of Tiburon, along the bay, and
    back to East Blithsdale (over the Freeway again) and at the
    intersection of the bike path retract your route back to SF.

    The route provides views of three bridges, nice homes, forest trees
    and many bay views. It several short climbs and Paradise is a rolling
    route. The entire trip might be 50-55 miles. It is a great ride that
    shows you some of the wide variety of scenary of the Bay Area.

    This is my usual ride and I highly recommend it!

    Ray