San Juan Huts trip questions.

Mattwamu

Guest
Later this year I am doing the San Juan Hut trip (Telluride to Moab) I am just curious if
anyone else has done this trip. What did you bring that you didn't need and what did you wish
you had. thanks

mm

[email protected] (Mattwamu) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Later this year I am doing the San Juan Hut trip (Telluride to Moab) I am just curious if
> anyone else has done this trip. What did you bring that you didn't need and what did you wish
> you had. thanks
>
> mm

Stay on Divide Road on the Northern Uncompahgre and drop Urnaium Road into Unaweep Canyon and
Gateway, unless you like riding in cow ****.

JD

A group of six of us took this trip two years ago and had a wonderful time. The riding is mostly on
well-maintained fire roads, with some pavement connections (e.g., easy touring, not real mountain
biking). There are a few alternate single-track options, which I'd recommend you take, and also some
reasonably good single track supplemental suggestions. The huts are very basic, but have everything
you'll need for sleeping and food.

The list that SJH provides is complete, and we needed nothing additional. BUT, do not double up on
supplies/clothes, etc., as you'll have a better ride, the lighter you are loaded. A few people (not
in our group) have taken trailers, but I would not recommend this if you are interested in
single-track options. You can get by with a packpack (for example, a Deuter Superbike) and a small
rack trunk.

Be sure to take rain gear; there are downpours in the afternoons if your trip occurs in the monsoon
season. We found it best to leave the huts early in the morning and (probably)avoid the rainy
weather and most of the heat.

It's useful to have a small, light, LED headlamp.

Have you seen the website: http://lashwhip.com/shs.html ? A trip report from two guys named
Steve and Paul.

You will enjoy this trip!!! There are a few groups that do it every year, and we would do it
again except for the fact that we have not exhausted all of the other possible trips on our
"to-take" list.