San Marco Aspide -- Ouch!

Eric Lambi

Guest
Hello rec.bicycles.tech,

I recently put a San Marco Aspide saddle on my bicycle (replacing an 8yo and well-worn Flight
saddle). I've ridden it now 4 times, and it is far and away the most uncomfortable saddle that I've
ever had. My other bike has an SLR saddle, and I can't believe how much more comfortable the SLR is
than this saddle. So my question: will it get more comfortable if I give it a few weeks? I'm tempted
to go buy a new Flight, but want to hear if anyone has stuck it out with success on the Aspide.

Thanks,

Eric [email protected]

Yes, I like my Aspide very much. I think that saddles are comfortable when they find your bones in
the right places. Not anything to do with padding. Also, the manufacturers seem to have their own
styles for the thigh cut-out. My Flite was never satisfactory in that respect, as the size across
the front part seemed wider than either the Fizik or another San Marco (Concor lite). Really
personal, saddle choice, I think.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR

"Eric Lambi" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
>
> I recently put a San Marco Aspide saddle on my bicycle (replacing an 8yo and well-worn Flight
> saddle). I've ridden it now 4 times, and it is far and away the most uncomfortable saddle that
> I've ever had. My other bike has an SLR saddle, and I can't believe how much more comfortable the
> SLR is than this saddle. So my question: will it get more comfortable if I give it a few weeks?
> I'm tempted to go buy a new Flight, but want to hear if anyone has stuck it out with success on
> the Aspide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric [email protected]

eric-<< I recently put a San Marco Aspide saddle on my bicycle (replacing an 8yo and well-worn
Flight saddle). I've ridden it now 4 times, and it is far and away the most uncomfortable saddle
that I've ever had. >><BR><BR>

We sometimes call the Aspide, the 'ass bleed'...

Does the place you bought it have a comfort guarantee? Swap with another if first was not comfy?

Most bike shops do this(like us).

"Eric Lambi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
>
> I recently put a San Marco Aspide saddle on my bicycle (replacing an 8yo and well-worn Flight
> saddle). I've ridden it now 4 times, and it is far and away the most uncomfortable saddle that
> I've ever had. My other bike has an SLR saddle, and I can't believe how much more comfortable the
> SLR is than this saddle. So my question: will it get more comfortable if I give it a few weeks?
> I'm tempted to go buy a new Flight, but want to hear if anyone has stuck it out with success on
> the Aspide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric [email protected]

IF you have everything in the right place, AND it isn't comfy, chances are it won't get too
much better.

There are a few guys that I know that like their Aspides, but there's not too many.

If you like the shape of the Flite, stick with it.

I wanna try that new Arione, but don't want to pay for one...

Mike

I have had one for over a year and not had a problem. All of my other bikes
have flights, but they are all mountain and cross bikes. There is certainly
a sweet spot with this saddle, I found it worked on my road bike where on my
other bikes the flight was better. I think it may be because I lean forward
more on my road bike vs. the other bikes...who knows...my posterior just
likes it better.

Eric Lambi wrote:
> Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
>
> I recently put a San Marco Aspide saddle on my bicycle (replacing an 8yo and well-worn Flight
> saddle). I've ridden it now 4 times, and it is far and away the most uncomfortable saddle that
> I've ever had. My other bike has an SLR saddle, and I can't believe how much more comfortable the
> SLR is than this saddle. So my question: will it get more comfortable if I give it a few weeks?
> I'm tempted to go buy a new Flight, but want to hear if anyone has stuck it out with success on
> the Aspide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric [email protected]
I bought an Apide saddle to replace the SLR I broke. I really liked the SLR as I felt it to be very
comfortable. The rails of the SLR have a nice springy shock absorbing design to them. Unfortunately
this springy shock absorbing action caused one of the rails to snap in two. Settling

I find the ride of it compared to the SLR harder and unforgiving. Being my ass can find rest on a
plank of wood mashed on to a bicycle seat post, I am happy with my purchase.

Kenny Lee

Interesting. I bought an Aspide Arrowhead for a Bianchi EV2 XL, but haven't actually ridden it yet
as I'm waiting on brakes. I've also acquired a new Flite gel flow, with the cutout, which evidently
is replacing the Transam, which I've ridden on for 4 years quite happily. another difference one
should notice is that the rails are differently situated- an Aspide on a Campy post may not sit far
enough forward for your usual measurement. To get the same alignment as a Flite, I'd have to use a
post where the set-back of the clamp is less.

Just get a San Marco Regal or Rolls and ride in comfort with 100 grams extra weight..........

m17.aol.com...

[email protected] (Eric Lambi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
>
> I recently put a San Marco Aspide saddle on my bicycle (replacing an 8yo and well-worn Flight
> saddle). I've ridden it now 4 times, and it is far and away the most uncomfortable saddle that
> I've ever had. My other bike has an SLR saddle, and I can't believe how much more comfortable the
> SLR is than this saddle. So my question: will it get more comfortable if I give it a few weeks?
> I'm tempted to go buy a new Flight, but want to hear if anyone has stuck it out with success on
> the Aspide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric [email protected]

Hi, saddles are one component that must be tried to determine which one will suit us best. One mans
lazyboy is anothers ass hatchet. The least comfortable saddle, I ever bought, went to a guy who
already owned two of them.

It would be nice if we could set up an exchange program, amongst the regulars here. I own two Selle
Italia basic Prolinks and I really like them. I wanted to try a Prolink Genuine Gel, so I bought a
used one and I just don't like it as much as the basic.

Now, I would like to try an SLR, preferably an XP. I would be willing to swap the Prolink Gel, with
someone who has a SLR [red, black or blue-ok]. Anyone interested? The condition is good, color is
black, I have a digital camera so I can send you pictures, if necessary.

My guess is that amongst all of us, there are a lot of spare and/or rejected saddles, just sitting
around, ready for exchange. Life is Good! Jeff

> more comfortable if I give it a few weeks? I'm tempted to go buy a new Flight, but want to hear if
> anyone has stuck it out with success on the Aspide.

You may want to try a different manufacturer. I found that all of the saddles on my road bike sucked
royally (tried about 4) until I bought a Specialized Body Geometry saddle with a significant cutout
in the rear for $7. I don't think I could ride with any other saddle, ever.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

my experience is 180 degrees from this. i started using aspides in 02 for cross and COULD NOT
BELIEVE how comfortable it was. in fact i love(d) it so much i custom ordered several cases in
custom red to sell to my clients. i have become evangelical about them!

here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/2l6fg see pic 26 and 27

thanks for reading!

e-RICHIE Richard Sachs Cycles No.9, North Main Street Chester, CT 06412 USA Tel. 860.526.2059
www.richardsachs.com http://photos.yahoo.com/bobbesrs http://richardsachs.blogspot.com/

Eric Lambi wrote:

> I recently put a San Marco Aspide saddle on my bicycle (replacing an 8yo and well-worn Flight
> saddle). I've ridden it now 4 times, and it is far and away the most uncomfortable saddle that
> I've ever had. My other bike has an SLR saddle, and I can't believe how much more comfortable the
> SLR is than this saddle. So my question: will it get more comfortable if I give it a few weeks?
> I'm tempted to go buy a new Flight, but want to hear if anyone has stuck it out with success on
> the Aspide.

Most riders take a good while to find the saddle they actually like. You're lucky in that you know
what fits. Get another SLR and toss the one that's not suited to your body/ride position.