sand paper or metal scraper?

Ablang

Guest
I just got my book that I ordered through Amazon titled, "Zinn and
the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" by Lennard Zinn, for ~ $16.50
(free shipping).

I started to read it from the beginning. I'm in the chapter on
tools, level 1. One of the items that he recommends, but doesn't
explain why is that for a patch kit, he prefers one w/ sand paper
instead of a metal scraper.

Does anyone know why he would say so? How about you? Have you
found a difference in the ease of patching a tire (and it not
exploding or losing the patch) with either material?

"Ablang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I started to read it from the beginning. I'm in the chapter on
> tools, level 1. One of the items that he recommends, but doesn't
> explain why is that for a patch kit, he prefers one w/ sand paper
> instead of a metal scraper.
>
> Does anyone know why he would say so? How about you? Have you
> found a difference in the ease of patching a tire (and it not
> exploding or losing the patch) with either material?

The reason that you clean off the patch area is to rid the tube of the wax
mold release. The metal scraper doesn't clean off the tube very well and it
is possible for the patch to leak around the scratches though obviously it
doesn't happen very often. The sandpaper does a vastly better job with less
rubber loss.

On Jun 26, 7:31 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Ablang" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > I started to read it from the beginning. I'm in the chapter on
> > tools, level 1. One of the items that he recommends, but doesn't
> > explain why is that for a patch kit, he prefers one w/ sand paper
> > instead of a metal scraper.

> > Does anyone know why he would say so? How about you? Have you
> > found a difference in the ease of patching a tire (and it not
> > exploding or losing the patch) with either material?

> The reason that you clean off the patch area is to rid the tube of the wax
> mold release. The metal scraper doesn't clean off the tube very well and it
> is possible for the patch to leak around the scratches though obviously it
> doesn't happen very often. The sandpaper does a vastly better job with less
> rubber loss.

As a bonus, the sandpaper can be used to level and deglaze brake pads.

Ablang said:
I just got my book that I ordered through Amazon titled, "Zinn and
the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" by Lennard Zinn, for ~ $16.50
(free shipping).

I started to read it from the beginning. I'm in the chapter on
tools, level 1. One of the items that he recommends, but doesn't
explain why is that for a patch kit, he prefers one w/ sand paper
instead of a metal scraper.

Does anyone know why he would say so? How about you? Have you
found a difference in the ease of patching a tire (and it not
exploding or losing the patch) with either material?
Metal bits can make rattling sounds and the possibility of cutting edges from metal items in your kit is nice to avoid if possible.

Ron Ablang wrote:

> I just got my book that I ordered through Amazon titled, "Zinn and
> the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" by Lennard Zinn, for ~ $16.50
> (free shipping).

> I started to read it from the beginning. I'm in the chapter on
> tools, level 1. One of the items that he recommends, but doesn't
> explain why is that for a patch kit, he prefers one w/ sand paper
> instead of a metal scraper.

> Does anyone know why he would say so? How about you? Have you
> found a difference in the ease of patching a tire (and it not
> exploding or losing the patch) with either material?

The reason has been explained here often. The cheese graters with
some patch kits (Monkey Grip) are just that and do not prepare a good
adhesion surface. This is an item that demands an FAQ item because it
is so readily misunderstood. As I have mentioned in this forum, even
the REMA patch representative at InterBike had no idea about this or
why freshly mounted patches delaminate easily.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/patching.html

Jobst Brandt

Ablang wrote:
> I just got my book that I ordered through Amazon titled, "Zinn and
> the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" by Lennard Zinn, for ~ $16.50
> (free shipping).
>
> I started to read it from the beginning. I'm in the chapter on
> tools, level 1. One of the items that he recommends, but doesn't
> explain why is that for a patch kit, he prefers one w/ sand paper
> instead of a metal scraper.
>
> Does anyone know why he would say so? How about you? Have you
> found a difference in the ease of patching a tire (and it not
> exploding or losing the patch) with either material?

our FAQ:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.1.html

--
Andrew Muzi