Santa’s fixed me up already

JayWoo

New Member
Nov 8, 2004
I got this pocket rocket Saturday with the help of a Xmas bonus!

http://tinyurl.com/aybqd

Picked her up on the way back from Warburton from Marcus @ Walkers Wheels. I dropped in the for the 1st time is ages a couple of weeks back & saw her hanging up. I had a grope and she hasn't left my mind, *****!:p He still remembered me!? I grew up out that way and used to ride with his Sunday BR. Even though my legs had a big day I still had to take her out. Whacked the SPD’s on her and headed for the boulie for our 1st date.
Solid Mo Fo (errr derr it’s a track bike!). After a lap of the boulie, it was time to hit the real streets. My legs were getting more of a workout with the braking more so than the pedalling (err derr, it’s fixed & has no brake).
This morn I commuted on her… Oooo; @ 05:30 in the morning there isn’t that many cars, so I’m heading down Hoddle St (never go this way; 4 lanes in the inner city), look behind, no cars, BOOOF open the gas straight down the middle of the road! FUN!
Even though the lights are green, it's feels like I'm running red?! I think it's the braking distance thing that's messing with my head.
I stop in at the Supermarket on the way with a silly look on my face and people thinking I’ve been out all night I’m guessin’.
I’m supposed to finish @ 4pm this arvo, that’ll be fun in the traffic:eek:…. Maybe I need to work back late?:rolleyes:

sweet. looks twitchy tho. oh yeah, it's a track bike :rolleyes:

wot's with the solid chainring. 'Batman Becycles' ???

no brakes! you mad

JayWoo said:
[...]

oo a black one!!!! very noice

what wheels do you have on it? I have a blue one that has not had too many rides (well..compared to the roadie) and the bearings are seizing up!!! I thought I was having an off week or two D'OH!!!!!! :eek: "..just....can't.... turn ... the ...crank....o..ver......." :eek:

And.. riding it on the peak hour roads NO BRAKES?? you're a deathwishdawg :D

Very, very noice. Another addition to the BR Fixie/SS family.
Of course being a Jaywoo bike, it can be any colour as long as it's
black.

When's the next FR ride (with SS ring ins).
How about Tuesday 27th??

warrwych said:
what wheels do you have on it?
SUZUE high flange hubs (assuming base model, no makings except brand) with Alex DA22 rims 36 hole.
warrwych said:
I have a blue one that has not had too many rides (well..compared to the roadie)
What year is it?
****! I *AM* going to have to get some Phil Wood hubs:rolleyes:

JayWoo said:
SUZUE high flange hubs (assuming base model, no makings except brand) with Alex DA22 rims 36 hole.
What year is it?
****! I *AM* going to have to get some Phil Wood hubs:rolleyes:

Same wheels as mine Jaywoo. Mine was the "blue year" heheh 2004 model.

Fortunately my SO has a sweet trackbike with even sweeter wheels which I nicked last night for my spin around DISC tonight. mmmmmmmmm campag mmmmmmmmmm

"JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I got this pocket rocket Saturday with the help of a Xmas bonus!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/aybqd
>
> Picked her up on the way back from Warburton from Marcus @ Walkers
> Wheels. I dropped in the for the 1st time is ages a couple of weeks
> back & saw her hanging up. I had a grope and she hasn't left my mind,
> *****!:p He still remembered me!? I grew up out that way and used to
> ride with his Sunday BR. Even though my legs had a big day I still had
> to take her out. Whacked the SPD's on her and headed for the boulie for
> our 1st date.
> Solid Mo Fo (errr derr it's a track bike!). After a lap of the boulie,
> it was time to hit the real streets. My legs were getting more of a
> workout with the braking more so than the pedalling (err derr, it's
> fixed & has no brake).
> This morn I commuted on her. Oooo; @ 05:30 in the morning there isn't
> that many cars, so I'm heading down Hoddle St (never go this way; 4
> lanes in the inner city), look behind, no cars, BOOOF open the gas
> straight down the middle of the road! FUN!
> Even though the lights are green, it's feels like I'm running red?! I
> think it's the braking distance thing that's messing with my head.
> I stop in at the Supermarket on the way with a silly look on my face
> and people thinking I've been out all night I'm guessin'.
> I'm supposed to finish @ 4pm this arvo, that'll be fun in the
> traffic:eek:.. Maybe I need to work back late?:rolleyes:
>

> --
> JayWoo

Very nice indeed. Brakeless on the streets is a bit scary though...I'd be
too worried about stuff you can't control like cars pulling out of side
streets and peds deciding that right NOW would be a good time to wander
across the road.

Resound said:
Brakeless on the streets is a bit scary though...
Yeah, it's definitely something that I'm not taking lightly. It does make trips longer as I adjust my speed to match the surroundings. I’m not just bangin’ along at 30km\h+ the whole time as one does on a bike with brakes.

JayWoo said:
Yeah, it's definitely something that I'm not taking lightly. It does make trips longer as I adjust my speed to match the surroundings. I’m not just bangin’ along at 30km\h+ the whole time as one does on a bike with brakes.
Practise using your gloves on the front wheel as a brake, as once you're spinning fast, it becomes much harder to apply the force required to slow down the pedals... you'll need it one day.....

"JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>SUZUE high flange hubs (assuming base model, no makings except brand)
> with Alex DA22 rims 36 hole.
> ****! I *AM* going to have to get some Phil Wood hubs:rolleyes:

If you have a read over on bikeforums.net you'll see a lot of bad reports on
the base Suzues (SIL-SP/Suzue Jrs), and a lot of praise for the Suzue
Pro-Maxes (shiny disco hubs). Some people have managed decent lifetimes out
of the Jrs though, perhaps if you replace the bearings and grease right away
and don't skid much you can prolong the life of yours.

If you don't want to spend up on Phils, there's always Formula
(IRO/Velocity) which can be had in 28/32/36h, 120/126/130mm spacing,
black/silver, fix/free fix/fix, from US$59/pr (bensbikes on ebay). They also
have cartridge bearings so replacement is easy. I have two pair of these,
very happy with them.

A few months ago someone in Bris was selling those Avantis on ebay for
$5-600, looks like he sold the lot.

I'm not sure if the fork's drilled for a brake, but if it is, I recommend a
Tektro RX2.0 cyclocross lever (or any other clamp on bmx lever), so you can
install/remove an entire brake/cable/lever assembly in short order without
mucking with bar tape etc. Then you can really let loose on the city
streets.

Shabby said:
Practise using your gloves on the front wheel as a brake, as once you're spinning fast, it becomes much harder to apply the force required to slow down the pedals... you'll need it one day.....
Cool! Thx for the tip... Boiler maker gloves I'm thinkin';)

OK, cool. I'll take a squiz @ the IRC's if these go pair shaped.

Andrew said:
I'm not sure if the fork's drilled for a brake, but if it is, I recommend a
Tektro RX2.0 cyclocross lever...
Yeah there's a brake hole, so a brake is definitely an option. I'm still not sure I want one. I don't think I'm trying to be some NYC fixie wana-be. As I said before I'm taking it REAL easy and just enjoying the riding. I'm also enjoying the challenge that it's bringing to my riding in both planning the route beforehand & dealing with things along the way.
Though come a month of so down the track (heh, get it *track*! sorry:rolleyes:) I may get bored with the slower going & find it all too tedious. It's a wait & see game. That's not to say there isn't moments when you can't open the gas and bang it out. I had fun tonight going full tilt along Lakeside drive & some of Normanby rd. I also had fun picking my way through the CBD too.

> OK, cool. I'll take a squiz @ the IRC's if these go pair shaped.

IRO, not IRC.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html#iro
or:
http://www.irocycle.com/id67.html

No brand version, cheaper, same hub, awesome seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FORMULA-TRA...09522QQcategoryZ36144QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

>Yeah there's a brake hole, so a brake is definitely an option. I'm still
> not sure I want one. I don't think I'm trying to be some NYC fixie
> wana-be.

I don't care how well anyone can skip/skid, a front brake will pull you up
far faster. Even if their mantra is to find a gap and keep going instead of
slowing down, I'll take the aesthetic penalty and be able to stop quickly
rather than being forced to blow through a red light or hop a curb to dodge
a car only to take out a ped.

Plus that's geared at 48/16 isn't it? Not much leverage for you to slow down
with. You can always have the brake and not use it most of the time, but
it's there for emergencies.

What happened to the blue Paconi? Is it looking for a home now that it's
been upstaged?

I agree, and I said none of this in my previous post. This is the kinda **** that I'm not on about.

@ the moment. I've got a 17 & 18 cog in the mail. And a chain as the back wheel is already really close to the seat tube and may need replacing to take the bigger cogs.

Andrew said:
What happened to the blue Paconi? Is it looking for a home now that it's been upstaged?
Still got her. Commuted on her today, rain for Melbourne.
No she's quite happy at my place thx:D Again, she is a different riding experience. "Horses for courses". And I consider myself lucky to be able to have more options than 1:)

"JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I agree, and I said none of this in my previous post. This is the kinda
> **** that I'm not on about.

Cool, your sentence about fixie wannabe's threw me for a bit, couldn't tell
if you wanted to be/not be like the messers, or not like the
wannabees/hipsters (SS and no brakes in some cases!!).

I wouldn't be comfortable travelling above 15-20km/hr when there's peds and
cars about with no brakes, but I'm a wuss.

> @ the moment. I've got a 17 & 18 cog in the mail. And a chain as the
> back wheel is already really close to the seat tube and may need
> replacing to take the bigger cogs.

So you'll have 81, 76, 72" of fun then. I ran 71 for a while, then 74, then
back to 71. Didn't gain much top end and sacrificed a bit on the slopes.

Guess it's too late, but I can recommend the KMC Z610HX and Z510HX (only
diff is 3/32 and 1/8). They're cheap, nickel plated, and very strong. BMX
riders love them, as do people on 63xc.com. Far cheaper than shelling out
for NJS HKK's and such. Avoid the 'Kool Chain' models.

> No she's quite happy at my place thx:D Again, she is a different riding
> experience. "Horses for courses". And I consider myself lucky to be able
> to have more options than 1:)

Damn ;-)