Santa Cruz bikes - should I bother facing heatube and BB?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jon Bond, May 26, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Just got myself a blur, building it up now. I'm switching my Chris King headset over, and putting in
    a new Shimano ES 70?71? BB. I know I *should* get them faced, but when the bike shop installed the
    headset in my (much less expensive, mass produced, taiwaneese) gary fisher frame, they didn't face
    it, and my LX splined bottom bracket works just fine as well, again, no facing.

    So, is it worth doing? Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that I
    shouldn't worry about it, or should I really get everything all nice and square?

    Thanks!

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond wrote:
    > Just got myself a blur, building it up now. I'm switching my Chris King headset over, and putting
    > in a new Shimano ES 70?71? BB. I know I *should* get them faced, but when the bike shop installed
    > the headset in my (much less expensive, mass produced, taiwaneese) gary fisher frame, they didn't
    > face it, and my LX splined bottom bracket works just fine as well, again, no facing.
    >
    > So, is it worth doing? Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that I
    > shouldn't worry about it, or should I really get everything all nice and square?

    For modular cartridge bottom brackets, there's nothing to be gained by facing the frame.

    I don't know much about Santa Cruz (except that my daughter will be going to school there in the
    fall) so I don't know how well they're prepped, but...

    Chris King headsets are wonderful indeed, but they should be installed only with the special Chris
    King adapters on a shop-type headset press. Any shop that has the correct press tools will also
    likely have the facing tools.

    Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of to
    a shop that has the correct tools for a Chris King headset.

    Sheldon "Sometimes You Need The Special Tool" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
    | Certainly the game is rigged. | Don't let that stop you; | if you don't bet, you can't win. |
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > Jon Bond wrote:
    > > Just got myself a blur, building it up now. I'm switching my Chris King headset over, and
    > > putting in a new Shimano ES 70?71? BB. I know I
    *should*
    > > get them faced, but when the bike shop installed the headset in my (much less expensive, mass
    > > produced, taiwaneese) gary fisher frame, they
    didn't
    > > face it, and my LX splined bottom bracket works just fine as well,
    again, no
    > > facing.
    > >
    > > So, is it worth doing? Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that
    > > I shouldn't worry about it, or should I
    really
    > > get everything all nice and square?
    >
    > For modular cartridge bottom brackets, there's nothing to be gained by facing the frame.

    I'm not sure I understand this. Wouldn't an un-square bottom bracket shell produce uneven loading of
    the bearings, and premature wear/death?

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  4. On Mon, 26 May 2003 15:36:32 GMT, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of to
    >a shop that has the correct tools for a Chris King headset.

    Looks like a part of that sentence is missing.. what did you wanna say?

    Jasper

  5. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Jon Bond wrote:
    > > Just got myself a blur, building it up now. I'm switching my Chris King headset over, and
    > > putting in a new Shimano ES 70?71? BB. I know I
    *should*
    > > get them faced, but when the bike shop installed the headset in my (much less expensive, mass
    > > produced, taiwaneese) gary fisher frame, they
    didn't
    > > face it, and my LX splined bottom bracket works just fine as well,
    again, no
    > > facing.
    > >
    > > So, is it worth doing? Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that
    > > I shouldn't worry about it, or should I
    really
    > > get everything all nice and square?
    >
    > For modular cartridge bottom brackets, there's nothing to be gained by facing the frame.
    >
    > I don't know much about Santa Cruz (except that my daughter will be going to school there in the
    > fall) so I don't know how well they're prepped, but...
    >
    > Chris King headsets are wonderful indeed, but they should be installed only with the special Chris
    > King adapters on a shop-type headset press. Any shop that has the correct press tools will also
    > likely have the facing tools.

    Well, I think the shop I work at has them. I know they at least have the press and adapter (I just
    started work their saturday, which is why I don't know exactly which tools I have). I'll have one of
    the mechanics "show" me some rainy day this week (there are a bunch to chose from!).

    > Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of
    > to a shop that has the correct tools for a Chris King headset.

    A chunk of a shop? Man, hope they don't have to install too many cheap headsets, they'll run out
    of building!

    > Sheldon "Sometimes You Need The Special Tool" Brown

    Thanks, oh ye of little facial hair!

    Jon Bond

  6. Jasper Janssen wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2003 15:36:32 GMT, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of
    >>to a shop that has the correct tools for a Chris King headset.
    >
    > Looks like a part of that sentence is missing.. what did you wanna say?
    >
    > Jasper

    Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of
    wood, but high end headsets generally require special tools. Take it to a shop that has the correct
    tools for a Chris King headset.

    Sheldon "Easily Distracted" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------+
    | There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. | But there is no evidence of any sort
    | against it. | Soon enough you will know, so why fret about it? | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  7. In article <[email protected]>, "Robin Hubert"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > For modular cartridge bottom brackets, there's nothing to be gained by facing the frame.
    >
    > I'm not sure I understand this. Wouldn't an un-square bottom bracket shell produce uneven loading
    > of the bearings, and premature wear/death?

    Even I can answer this: cartridge BBs are not preloaded by screwing them into the frame. Tightening
    them is only to prevent the BB from backing out of the shell, and lateral adjustment is available
    only to set up the chainline.

  8. jonathon-<< I know I *should* get them faced

    The nyou know the answer-all headtubes and BB shells should be prepped...but only if you want a log
    lasting HS and BB..even cart ones.

    << Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that I shouldn't worry about
    it, or should I really get everything all nice and square?

    Not bad until they get heattreated...and you should always have them prepped...