Santa Cruz bikes - should I bother facing heatube and BB?

Jon Bond

Guest
Just got myself a blur, building it up now. I'm switching my Chris King headset over, and putting in
a new Shimano ES 70?71? BB. I know I *should* get them faced, but when the bike shop installed the
headset in my (much less expensive, mass produced, taiwaneese) gary fisher frame, they didn't face
it, and my LX splined bottom bracket works just fine as well, again, no facing.

So, is it worth doing? Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that I
shouldn't worry about it, or should I really get everything all nice and square?

Thanks!

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:
> Just got myself a blur, building it up now. I'm switching my Chris King headset over, and putting
> in a new Shimano ES 70?71? BB. I know I *should* get them faced, but when the bike shop installed
> the headset in my (much less expensive, mass produced, taiwaneese) gary fisher frame, they didn't
> face it, and my LX splined bottom bracket works just fine as well, again, no facing.
>
> So, is it worth doing? Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that I
> shouldn't worry about it, or should I really get everything all nice and square?

For modular cartridge bottom brackets, there's nothing to be gained by facing the frame.

I don't know much about Santa Cruz (except that my daughter will be going to school there in the
fall) so I don't know how well they're prepped, but...

Chris King headsets are wonderful indeed, but they should be installed only with the special Chris
King adapters on a shop-type headset press. Any shop that has the correct press tools will also
likely have the facing tools.

Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of to
a shop that has the correct tools for a Chris King headset.

Sheldon "Sometimes You Need The Special Tool" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
| Certainly the game is rigged. | Don't let that stop you; | if you don't bet, you can't win. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
+----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

> Jon Bond wrote:
> > Just got myself a blur, building it up now. I'm switching my Chris King headset over, and
> > putting in a new Shimano ES 70?71? BB. I know I
*should*
> > get them faced, but when the bike shop installed the headset in my (much less expensive, mass
> > produced, taiwaneese) gary fisher frame, they
didn't
> > face it, and my LX splined bottom bracket works just fine as well,
again, no
> > facing.
> >
> > So, is it worth doing? Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that
> > I shouldn't worry about it, or should I
really
> > get everything all nice and square?
>
> For modular cartridge bottom brackets, there's nothing to be gained by facing the frame.

I'm not sure I understand this. Wouldn't an un-square bottom bracket shell produce uneven loading of
the bearings, and premature wear/death?

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

On Mon, 26 May 2003 15:36:32 GMT, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

>Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of to
>a shop that has the correct tools for a Chris King headset.

Looks like a part of that sentence is missing.. what did you wanna say?

Jasper

> Jon Bond wrote:
> > Just got myself a blur, building it up now. I'm switching my Chris King headset over, and
> > putting in a new Shimano ES 70?71? BB. I know I
*should*
> > get them faced, but when the bike shop installed the headset in my (much less expensive, mass
> > produced, taiwaneese) gary fisher frame, they
didn't
> > face it, and my LX splined bottom bracket works just fine as well,
again, no
> > facing.
> >
> > So, is it worth doing? Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that
> > I shouldn't worry about it, or should I
really
> > get everything all nice and square?
>
> For modular cartridge bottom brackets, there's nothing to be gained by facing the frame.
>
> I don't know much about Santa Cruz (except that my daughter will be going to school there in the
> fall) so I don't know how well they're prepped, but...
>
> Chris King headsets are wonderful indeed, but they should be installed only with the special Chris
> King adapters on a shop-type headset press. Any shop that has the correct press tools will also
> likely have the facing tools.

Well, I think the shop I work at has them. I know they at least have the press and adapter (I just
started work their saturday, which is why I don't know exactly which tools I have). I'll have one of
the mechanics "show" me some rainy day this week (there are a bunch to chose from!).

> Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of
> to a shop that has the correct tools for a Chris King headset.

A chunk of a shop? Man, hope they don't have to install too many cheap headsets, they'll run out
of building!

> Sheldon "Sometimes You Need The Special Tool" Brown

Thanks, oh ye of little facial hair!

Jon Bond

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2003 15:36:32 GMT, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of
>>to a shop that has the correct tools for a Chris King headset.
>
> Looks like a part of that sentence is missing.. what did you wanna say?
>
> Jasper

Steel headsets are an easy do-it-yourself installation, can be done with a hammer and a chunk of
wood, but high end headsets generally require special tools. Take it to a shop that has the correct
tools for a Chris King headset.

Sheldon "Easily Distracted" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------+
| There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. | But there is no evidence of any sort
| against it. | Soon enough you will know, so why fret about it? | --Robert A. Heinlein |
+--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

In article <[email protected]>, "Robin Hubert"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > For modular cartridge bottom brackets, there's nothing to be gained by facing the frame.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. Wouldn't an un-square bottom bracket shell produce uneven loading
> of the bearings, and premature wear/death?

Even I can answer this: cartridge BBs are not preloaded by screwing them into the frame. Tightening
them is only to prevent the BB from backing out of the shell, and lateral adjustment is available
only to set up the chainline.

jonathon-<< I know I *should* get them faced

The nyou know the answer-all headtubes and BB shells should be prepped...but only if you want a log
lasting HS and BB..even cart ones.

<< Are Santa Cruz... or, should I say, Kinesis' tolerences good enough that I shouldn't worry about
it, or should I really get everything all nice and square?

Not bad until they get heattreated...and you should always have them prepped...