Santa Cruz Chameleon Fame Modifications

Chris

Guest
Hello,

Does anyone out there know how to modify a pre-2000 SC Chameleon to accept their rear disc
brake mount?

I'm looking for the tech bulletin they put out a while ago.

Thanks, Chris

Chris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone out there know how to modify a pre-2000 SC Chameleon to accept their rear disc
> brake mount?
>
> I'm looking for the tech bulletin they put out a while ago.
>
> Thanks, Chris

Dont they come with optional droputs onw with disc mounts?

[email protected] (Chris) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone out there know how to modify a pre-2000 SC Chameleon to accept their rear disc
> brake mount?
>
> I'm looking for the tech bulletin they put out a while ago.

I saw something about that in 2002, but I can't seem to find it right now. The only helpful thing I
can suggest is to give them a call. The phone number is listed at their site (check the faq). You
could email them, but they are terrible about returning emails.

If you are not sold on the S.C. bolt on disc set up, you might consider the Paul Component Eng.
"disc unit" set up. I have seen it in use on a first year Chameleon.

http://www.paulcomp.com/frmbk.html

Look under "single speed"

"David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone out there know how to modify a pre-2000 SC Chameleon to accept their rear disc brake
> > mount?
> >
> > I'm looking for the tech bulletin they put out a while ago.
> >
> > Thanks, Chris
>
> Dont they come with optional droputs onw with disc mounts?

1) No they don't come with "optional droputs onw with disc mounts." The dropout is SAIEW, the disc
mount on the current Chameleon is a "bolt on" disc brake adapter.

2) He was asking about a pre-2000 Chameleon, so what difference would it make if the current
Chameleon's did have "optional droputs onw with disc mounts?"

Huffing paint?

Reco Diver <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Chris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Does anyone out there know how to modify a pre-2000 SC Chameleon to accept their rear disc
> > > brake mount?
> > >
> > > I'm looking for the tech bulletin they put out a while ago.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Chris
> >
> > Dont they come with optional droputs onw with disc mounts?
>

> 1) No they don't come with "optional droputs onw with disc mounts." The dropout is SAIEW, the disc
> mount on the current Chameleon is a "bolt on" disc brake adapter.
>
> 2) He was asking about a pre-2000 Chameleon, so what difference would it make if the current
> Chameleon's did have "optional droputs onw with disc mounts?"
>
> Huffing paint?

yea, whatever..

Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone out there know how to modify a pre-2000 SC Chameleon to accept their rear disc
> brake mount?
>
> I'm looking for the tech bulletin they put out a while ago.
>
> Thanks, Chris
I installed this mount on my 99 chameleon, it is straightforward. The adapter comes with
instructions that walk you through it. In a nutshell, file off a little metal so that the adapter
will fit, drill a hole for the bolt, and you're done. All you need is a drill, drillbit (duh) and a
file. A dremel helps substantially but it isn't necessary and a drillpress wouldn't hurt.

you need to be careful to place it perfectly or else your rear wheel will end up mounting crooked. I
screwed it up but a tiny little shim fixed it.

It works as expected, the only thing I don't like is that it puts the caliper under the chainstay
which makes it more vulnerable.

Thanks for all the info.

I have to agree--I'm not a big fan of the under-the-stay mount (too easy to hit). Or the one that
Paul offers (too many parts).

I'm designing a mount that will put the caliper above the hub. I want to modify the frame so
that the exisitng SC mount will fit--just in case my mount doesn't work and I have to resort to
their mount.

I know the hole I need to drill is 10mm in diameter, but I'm not sure where to put it. Does anyone
know the center to center measurement
(i.e. from the center of the new hole to the center of the round at the end of the dropout slot)?
I'll be doing the mod on a milling machine, so I can get the accuracy dead on.

****, do the instructions that came with the SC mount tell you that distance, or does it just tell
you to use the mount as a guide?

Thanks again, Chris

> I have to agree--I'm not a big fan of the under-the-stay mount (too easy to hit). Or the one that
> Paul offers (too many parts).

I hit my rear der all the time and never managed to hit the caliper if it makes you feel any better.
It is exposed but really close to the wheel so it would take a really precise hit to damage it.

> I'm designing a mount that will put the caliper above the hub. I want to modify the frame so
> that the exisitng SC mount will fit--just in case my mount doesn't work and I have to resort to
> their mount.
>
> I know the hole I need to drill is 10mm in diameter, but I'm not sure where to put it. Does anyone
> know the center to center measurement
> (i.e. from the center of the new hole to the center of the round at the end of the dropout slot)?
> I'll be doing the mod on a milling machine, so I can get the accuracy dead on.

I'll scan mine with a good scale next to it, you should be able to use that to get a measurement.

> ****, do the instructions that came with the SC mount tell you that distance, or does it just tell
> you to use the mount as a guide?

I'll double check when I get home but IIRC it only gives the backyard method. I'll try to do that
scan for you tomorrow.