Santa Fe and ABQ for Christmas

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by patrice, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. patrice

    patrice Guest

    Hello All,

    We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
    As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
    We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
    at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
    ago), I'm hoping it is still there - I've been jonsin' for some Indian
    Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
    We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
    through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
    Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
    dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
    made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
    Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
    holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
    done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
    about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
    staying at will provide breakfast....

    Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
    made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
    we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
    Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
    the spouse and I ever had.

    Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
    anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
    then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
    just enjoyable).

    Nothing like waiting until the very last second...

    Thank you all in advance,

    patrice

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:36:02 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
    >As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
    >We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
    >at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
    >ago), I'm hoping it is still there

    I would avoid that place now. Years ago, it was good, but not anymore.
    If I wanted some good NM food, I would head to Los Cuates, or Sadies.
    This is a site you might want to take a look at for some current
    reviews of Albuquerque places:

    http://www.nmia.com/~thriller/

    - I've been jonsin' for some Indian
    >Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
    >We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
    >through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
    >Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
    >dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
    >made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
    >Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
    >holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
    >done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
    >about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
    >staying at will provide breakfast....
    >
    >Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
    >made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
    >we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
    >Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
    >the spouse and I ever had.
    >
    >Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
    >anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
    >then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
    >just enjoyable).

    Again, look at that site I just posted.

    Christine

  3. : >We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
    : >As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
    : >We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
    : >at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
    : >ago), I'm hoping it is still there

    : I would avoid that place now. Years ago, it was good, but not anymore.
    : If I wanted some good NM food, I would head to Los Cuates, or Sadies.

    Los Cuates is very good and quite reasonably priced. Definitely recommended.
    But I can't understand why ANYONE would want to go to Sadies! You'll have
    to wait an hour or hour and a half just to eat bad, bland food. I'd skip
    it - there are other much better places around. I'm baffled as to why
    lots of folks think it's good New Mexican food.

  4. patrice

    patrice Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > : >We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
    > : >As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
    > : >We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
    > : >at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
    > : >ago), I'm hoping it is still there
    >
    > : I would avoid that place now. Years ago, it was good, but not anymore.
    > : If I wanted some good NM food, I would head to Los Cuates, or Sadies.
    >
    > Los Cuates is very good and quite reasonably priced. Definitely recommended.
    > But I can't understand why ANYONE would want to go to Sadies! You'll have
    > to wait an hour or hour and a half just to eat bad, bland food. I'd skip
    > it - there are other much better places around. I'm baffled as to why
    > lots of folks think it's good New Mexican food.

    We went to Los Cuates the last time we were there. From what I remember
    ( I hope I'm remembering the right place) it was very close to Tex
    Mex, as opposed to New Mexican - which is very different in taste.
    Tex Mex is readily available here. New Mexican spices have a very
    different smell and taste - very enjoyable, and very hard to come by in
    these parts.
    Is Los Cuates similar to Tex Mex, or am I remembering a different place?

  5. patrice

    patrice Guest

    Christine Dabney wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:36:02 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hello All,
    >>
    >>We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
    >>As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
    >>We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
    >>at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
    >>ago), I'm hoping it is still there

    > I would avoid that place now. Years ago, it was good, but not anymore.
    > If I wanted some good NM food, I would head to Los Cuates, or Sadies.
    > This is a site you might want to take a look at for some current
    > reviews of Albuquerque places:
    >
    > http://www.nmia.com/~thriller/
    >

    > - I've been jonsin' for some Indian
    >
    >>Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
    >>We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
    >>through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
    >>Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
    >>dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
    >>made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
    >>Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
    >>holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
    >>done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
    >>about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
    >>staying at will provide breakfast....
    >>
    >>Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
    >>made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
    >>we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
    >>Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
    >>the spouse and I ever had.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
    >>anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
    >>then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
    >>just enjoyable).

    > Again, look at that site I just posted.
    >
    > Christine

    THanks for the site! I'm enjoying reading the reviews.

    I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
    We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

    patrice

  6. On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:51:51 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Is Los Cuates similar to Tex Mex, or am I remembering a different place?

    I think you might be remembering a different place. Los Cuates is
    classic New Mexican, as far as I know

    If you want good New Mexican, you can go to Maria's in Santa Fe as
    well.

    Christine

  7. On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:54:34 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
    >We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

    It was good when his wife was with him: she has been his ex for a long
    time. I think she was the main cook behind it when it was good.

    How long ago were you there?

    Christine

  8. On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:54:34 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
    >We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

    I was googling about it just now, and it seems it may have changed
    hands, and is no longer where it used to be.

    I was just in Albuquerque over the summer, and I saw it on Yale, but
    it did look different.

    I would say, sure go ahead and try it out. But from the reports I
    have heard, you can do better, if you want classic New Mexican.

    One good one is Pereas, which is on Central..but they only serve
    breakfast and lunch.

    I know there are others, and a friend took me to one in September, but
    the name escapes me now. It was really good.

    Christine

  9. Jude

    Jude Guest

    M&Js Sanitary Tortilla Factory, on 2nd downtown, for lunch
    Garcias Kitchen, any location, for huevos or for dinners

    Old Town on Christmas Eve for the farolitos (luminarias)

    I'm jealous and homesick! I don't get to go back til next summer.

  10. On 19 Dec 2005 16:49:51 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >M&Js Sanitary Tortilla Factory, on 2nd downtown, for lunch
    >Garcias Kitchen, any location, for huevos or for dinners
    >
    >Old Town on Christmas Eve for the farolitos (luminarias)
    >
    >I'm jealous and homesick! I don't get to go back til next summer.

    The Sanitary Tortilla Factory is no more. It closed a while back.

    Christine

  11. Patrice wrote:

    > We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.

    <snip>
    > Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated.

    I have the cookbook from El Farol, and if it's any indication, the
    restaurant is fantastic.

    Bob

  12. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Christine said:The Sanitary Tortilla Factory is no more. It closed a
    while back.

    Oh no! I will never forget that place. M&J's. Short for Mary &
    Joseph's. If you'd go there between November and january, they would
    offer you a free calander with a choice of pictures on it. You could
    choose from religious icons of Mary, Joseph, or Jesus, or the Aztec
    Love God theme with half-naked guys in feathered headdresses sweepinh
    busty maidens off their feet.

    They were hard core about the 'sanitary' part, too. The honey for the
    sopas was only available in the little single serving platic packets. I
    remember asking them about the cost-effectiveness and environmental
    impact of that, and them reminding me of all the little kids licking
    honey off the bottle in the non-Sanitary restaurants.

    Awesome lunch specials. You could order the Monday special any day of
    the week, it was just NAMED the Monday special. Same for the Tuesday,
    Wednesday, and etc.

    I know I went there last summer (2004). Never heard about them closing.
    <sigh>

    My other recommendation is to be sure to get to the Frontier for some
    people-watching, sticky sweet rolls, and the vat of green chile salsa
    to ladle over everything, the best being the Western Style Hash Browns
    with an egg on top.

    And of course, for pure unadulterated green chile, I used to go to the
    lunch counter at Duran's pharmacy and get a bowl of green with cheese,
    and one of their nice thick fluffy handmade tortillas.

    I want to move back just for the FOOD!! I'm about halfway through my
    sack of green chiles from this fall, but it's such a pain always having
    to peel, seed, and chop, never just order.

  13. Mark D

    Mark D Guest

    Was up in Santa Fe in the Spring, had a yearning for Japanese/Sushi, and
    went to Osaka on Cerrillos Rd. The Sushi was superb, and rivaled any
    top Sushi bar I've been to in Chicago. A little bit expensive, but I
    enjoyed it very much.
    Mark

  14. GQ

    GQ Guest

    wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
    >As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
    >We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
    >at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
    >ago), I'm hoping it is still there - I've been jonsin' for some Indian
    >Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
    >We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
    >through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
    >Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
    >dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
    >made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
    >Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
    >holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
    >done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
    >about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
    >staying at will provide breakfast....
    >
    >Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
    >made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
    >we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
    >Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
    >the spouse and I ever had.
    >
    >Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
    >anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
    >then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
    >just enjoyable).
    >
    >Nothing like waiting until the very last second...
    >
    >Thank you all in advance,
    >
    >patrice

    Enjoy yourself. I live in the southern part of the state and it is
    cold down here too. LOL

  15. patrice

    patrice Guest

    Christine Dabney wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:54:34 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
    >>We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

    > It was good when his wife was with him: she has been his ex for a long
    > time. I think she was the main cook behind it when it was good.
    >
    > How long ago were you there?
    >
    > Christine

    I'm pretty sure it was seven years ago, give or take a year.
    Someone from this list recommended it (Hubba Bubba? I'm a Bubba?
    Something like that.). We really enjoyed the place. I had way too much
    fry bread - some with the honeybutter and more with lettuce, cheese and
    beans. I think they called it Indian pizza. Spouse had pork in adobado
    sauce and was mighty happy. I remember there being posole with his meal
    also. I'm not a meat eater at all, so my meal was great (I'm trying to
    lie to myself that the beans weren't made in lard.) We've joked for
    years that we should just hop a flight out and have lunch there - didn't
    happen. Guess that's what it's disheartening to hear that it's not that
    great anymore.
    Something very similar would suffice I'm sure.

  16. patrice

    patrice Guest

    Christine Dabney wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:54:34 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
    >>We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

    > I was googling about it just now, and it seems it may have changed
    > hands, and is no longer where it used to be.
    >
    > I was just in Albuquerque over the summer, and I saw it on Yale, but
    > it did look different.
    >
    > I would say, sure go ahead and try it out. But from the reports I
    > have heard, you can do better, if you want classic New Mexican.
    >
    > One good one is Pereas, which is on Central..but they only serve
    > breakfast and lunch.
    >
    > I know there are others, and a friend took me to one in September, but
    > the name escapes me now. It was really good.
    >
    > Christine

    Think Christine, think! ;)

  17. patrice

    patrice Guest

    Jude wrote:

    > Christine said:The Sanitary Tortilla Factory is no more. It closed a
    > while back.
    >
    > Oh no! I will never forget that place. M&J's. Short for Mary &
    > Joseph's. If you'd go there between November and january, they would
    > offer you a free calander with a choice of pictures on it. You could
    > choose from religious icons of Mary, Joseph, or Jesus, or the Aztec
    > Love God theme with half-naked guys in feathered headdresses sweepinh
    > busty maidens off their feet.
    >
    > They were hard core about the 'sanitary' part, too. The honey for the
    > sopas was only available in the little single serving platic packets. I
    > remember asking them about the cost-effectiveness and environmental
    > impact of that, and them reminding me of all the little kids licking
    > honey off the bottle in the non-Sanitary restaurants.
    >
    > Awesome lunch specials. You could order the Monday special any day of
    > the week, it was just NAMED the Monday special. Same for the Tuesday,
    > Wednesday, and etc.
    >
    > I know I went there last summer (2004). Never heard about them closing.
    > <sigh>
    >
    > My other recommendation is to be sure to get to the Frontier for some
    > people-watching, sticky sweet rolls, and the vat of green chile salsa
    > to ladle over everything, the best being the Western Style Hash Browns
    > with an egg on top.
    >
    > And of course, for pure unadulterated green chile, I used to go to the
    > lunch counter at Duran's pharmacy and get a bowl of green with cheese,
    > and one of their nice thick fluffy handmade tortillas.
    >
    > I want to move back just for the FOOD!! I'm about halfway through my
    > sack of green chiles from this fall, but it's such a pain always having
    > to peel, seed, and chop, never just order.

    I'll put the Frontier and Duran's on my list of places to try. Thanks!

  18. patrice

    patrice Guest

    Mark D wrote:

    > Was up in Santa Fe in the Spring, had a yearning for Japanese/Sushi, and
    > went to Osaka on Cerrillos Rd. The Sushi was superb, and rivaled any
    > top Sushi bar I've been to in Chicago. A little bit expensive, but I
    > enjoyed it very much.
    > Mark

    Thanks for the recommendation!

  19. patrice

    patrice Guest

    GQ wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:36:02 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hello All,
    >>
    >>We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
    >>As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
    >>We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
    >>at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
    >>ago), I'm hoping it is still there - I've been jonsin' for some Indian
    >>Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
    >>We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
    >>through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
    >>Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
    >>dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
    >>made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
    >>Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
    >>holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
    >>done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
    >>about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
    >>staying at will provide breakfast....
    >>
    >>Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
    >>made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
    >>we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
    >>Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
    >>the spouse and I ever had.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
    >>anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
    >>then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
    >>just enjoyable).
    >>
    >>Nothing like waiting until the very last second...
    >>
    >>Thank you all in advance,
    >>
    >>patrice

    > Enjoy yourself. I live in the southern part of the state and it is
    > cold down here too. LOL

    We're really looking forward to going back. Our last trip there was
    most enjoyable. Since then, I've started knitting, and we're even
    plannig a trip out to an alpaca farm.
    Of course, all the wonderful New Mexican type foods top my list for why
    I want to go back.

  20. patrice

    patrice Guest

    Christine Dabney wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:51:51 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Is Los Cuates similar to Tex Mex, or am I remembering a different place?

    > I think you might be remembering a different place. Los Cuates is
    > classic New Mexican, as far as I know
    >
    > If you want good New Mexican, you can go to Maria's in Santa Fe as
    > well.
    >
    > Christine

    I'm glad to hear that I'm remembering somewhere else. I'm positive that
    we went to Los Cuates - I distinctly remember the large picture of the
    namesakes (the twins) that hung in the front area of the place. Since
    we didn't have a bad meal the whole time we were there it must have been
    fine.
    Having said that, we actually did have a bad meal, really bad, in ABQ.
    It was the night of Thanksgiving when we got settled into the BnB in
    ABQ. Seems like everything was closed and the sandwiches that we'd
    eaten in Bandolier had worn off hours before. We went to a place called
    the Cooperage - it was miserable. I've completely blocked out what the
    meals were, and to top it off, the rest rooms were filthy.

    I will put Maria's on my list, where is it located in Santa Fe?