Santa Fe and ABQ for Christmas

"Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mike Beede wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
>>

> As far as whole beans, I'd go to La Montinita Co-op. At least, that's
> were I got mine when I lived in Albq 2 years ago. At the branch in the
> Valley, on Rio Grande.
>>
>> Mike Beede

La Montanita stores their beans in a walk-in fridge where condensation ages
them almost instantly. If you can get there just after the delivery is made
you have a chance to get a decent bean. Not sure about the one on Rio
Grande but I know its true of the one on Central.

Bubbabob wrote:
> "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Mike Beede wrote:
> >> In article <[email protected]>,
> >> Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
> >>

> > As far as whole beans, I'd go to La Montinita Co-op. At least, that's
> > were I got mine when I lived in Albq 2 years ago. At the branch in the
> > Valley, on Rio Grande.
> >>
> >> Mike Beede

> La Montanita stores their beans in a walk-in fridge where condensation ages
> them almost instantly. If you can get there just after the delivery is made
> you have a chance to get a decent bean. Not sure about the one on Rio
> Grande but I know its true of the one on Central.

My parents have always stored theiur beans in the freezer til use. Is
this nota good idea? Tell me more about what condensation does to beans,

"Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bubbabob wrote:

> My parents have always stored theiur beans in the freezer til use. Is
> this nota good idea? Tell me more about what condensation does to
> beans,

The freezer is a different matter than refrigerator storage. If you store
roasted whole beans (don't even bother with ground coffee) in the freezer
you need to be sure that the airtight container that it's in is brought
to room temperature before opening it. Best to get 2 or 3 days worth out
at a time. Opening the container while the beans are cold will condense
moisture on them and moisture will stale a roasted bean within an hour or
so. Refrigerators are always moist and even if the beans are in airtight
containers, they aren't cold enough to have a noticeable preservative
effect. La Montañita Co-op was just tossing paper bags of beans into
their refrigerator. They've had this all explained to them but they
really don't care. It's a shame because at least two of their suppliers
do a pretty fair roasting job.