Santa Fe and ABQ for Christmas

patrice

Guest
Hello All,

We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
ago), I'm hoping it is still there - I've been jonsin' for some Indian
Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
staying at will provide breakfast....

Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
the spouse and I ever had.

Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
just enjoyable).

Nothing like waiting until the very last second...

Thank you all in advance,

patrice

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:36:02 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
>As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
>We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
>at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
>ago), I'm hoping it is still there

I would avoid that place now. Years ago, it was good, but not anymore.
If I wanted some good NM food, I would head to Los Cuates, or Sadies.
This is a site you might want to take a look at for some current
reviews of Albuquerque places:

http://www.nmia.com/~thriller/

- I've been jonsin' for some Indian
>Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
>We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
>through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
>Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
>dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
>made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
>Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
>holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
>done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
>about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
>staying at will provide breakfast....
>
>Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
>made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
>we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
>Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
>the spouse and I ever had.
>
>Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
>anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
>then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
>just enjoyable).

Again, look at that site I just posted.

Christine

: >We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
: >As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
: >We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
: >at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
: >ago), I'm hoping it is still there

: I would avoid that place now. Years ago, it was good, but not anymore.
: If I wanted some good NM food, I would head to Los Cuates, or Sadies.

Los Cuates is very good and quite reasonably priced. Definitely recommended.
But I can't understand why ANYONE would want to go to Sadies! You'll have
to wait an hour or hour and a half just to eat bad, bland food. I'd skip
it - there are other much better places around. I'm baffled as to why
lots of folks think it's good New Mexican food.

[email protected] wrote:
> : >We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
> : >As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
> : >We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
> : >at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
> : >ago), I'm hoping it is still there
>
> : I would avoid that place now. Years ago, it was good, but not anymore.
> : If I wanted some good NM food, I would head to Los Cuates, or Sadies.
>
> Los Cuates is very good and quite reasonably priced. Definitely recommended.
> But I can't understand why ANYONE would want to go to Sadies! You'll have
> to wait an hour or hour and a half just to eat bad, bland food. I'd skip
> it - there are other much better places around. I'm baffled as to why
> lots of folks think it's good New Mexican food.

We went to Los Cuates the last time we were there. From what I remember
( I hope I'm remembering the right place) it was very close to Tex
Mex, as opposed to New Mexican - which is very different in taste.
Tex Mex is readily available here. New Mexican spices have a very
different smell and taste - very enjoyable, and very hard to come by in
these parts.
Is Los Cuates similar to Tex Mex, or am I remembering a different place?

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:36:02 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Hello All,
>>
>>We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
>>As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
>>We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
>>at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
>>ago), I'm hoping it is still there

> I would avoid that place now. Years ago, it was good, but not anymore.
> If I wanted some good NM food, I would head to Los Cuates, or Sadies.
> This is a site you might want to take a look at for some current
> reviews of Albuquerque places:
>
> http://www.nmia.com/~thriller/
>

> - I've been jonsin' for some Indian
>
>>Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
>>We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
>>through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
>>Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
>>dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
>>made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
>>Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
>>holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
>>done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
>>about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
>>staying at will provide breakfast....
>>
>>Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
>>made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
>>we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
>>Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
>>the spouse and I ever had.
>>
>>Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
>>anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
>>then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
>>just enjoyable).

> Again, look at that site I just posted.
>
> Christine

THanks for the site! I'm enjoying reading the reviews.

I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

patrice

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:51:51 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Is Los Cuates similar to Tex Mex, or am I remembering a different place?

I think you might be remembering a different place. Los Cuates is
classic New Mexican, as far as I know

If you want good New Mexican, you can go to Maria's in Santa Fe as
well.

Christine

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:54:34 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
>We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

It was good when his wife was with him: she has been his ex for a long
time. I think she was the main cook behind it when it was good.

How long ago were you there?

wrote:

>I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
>We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

I was googling about it just now, and it seems it may have changed
hands, and is no longer where it used to be.

I was just in Albuquerque over the summer, and I saw it on Yale, but
it did look different.

I would say, sure go ahead and try it out. But from the reports I
have heard, you can do better, if you want classic New Mexican.

One good one is Pereas, which is on Central..but they only serve
breakfast and lunch.

I know there are others, and a friend took me to one in September, but
the name escapes me now. It was really good.

Christine

M&Js Sanitary Tortilla Factory, on 2nd downtown, for lunch
Garcias Kitchen, any location, for huevos or for dinners

Old Town on Christmas Eve for the farolitos (luminarias)

I'm jealous and homesick! I don't get to go back til next summer.

On 19 Dec 2005 16:49:51 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

>M&Js Sanitary Tortilla Factory, on 2nd downtown, for lunch
>Garcias Kitchen, any location, for huevos or for dinners
>
>Old Town on Christmas Eve for the farolitos (luminarias)
>
>I'm jealous and homesick! I don't get to go back til next summer.

The Sanitary Tortilla Factory is no more. It closed a while back.

Christine

Patrice wrote:

> We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.

<snip>
> Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated.

I have the cookbook from El Farol, and if it's any indication, the
restaurant is fantastic.

Bob

Christine said:The Sanitary Tortilla Factory is no more. It closed a
while back.

Oh no! I will never forget that place. M&J's. Short for Mary &
Joseph's. If you'd go there between November and january, they would
offer you a free calander with a choice of pictures on it. You could
choose from religious icons of Mary, Joseph, or Jesus, or the Aztec
Love God theme with half-naked guys in feathered headdresses sweepinh
busty maidens off their feet.

They were hard core about the 'sanitary' part, too. The honey for the
sopas was only available in the little single serving platic packets. I
remember asking them about the cost-effectiveness and environmental
impact of that, and them reminding me of all the little kids licking
honey off the bottle in the non-Sanitary restaurants.

Awesome lunch specials. You could order the Monday special any day of
the week, it was just NAMED the Monday special. Same for the Tuesday,
Wednesday, and etc.

I know I went there last summer (2004). Never heard about them closing.
<sigh>

My other recommendation is to be sure to get to the Frontier for some
people-watching, sticky sweet rolls, and the vat of green chile salsa
to ladle over everything, the best being the Western Style Hash Browns
with an egg on top.

And of course, for pure unadulterated green chile, I used to go to the
lunch counter at Duran's pharmacy and get a bowl of green with cheese,
and one of their nice thick fluffy handmade tortillas.

I want to move back just for the FOOD!! I'm about halfway through my
sack of green chiles from this fall, but it's such a pain always having
to peel, seed, and chop, never just order.

Was up in Santa Fe in the Spring, had a yearning for Japanese/Sushi, and
went to Osaka on Cerrillos Rd. The Sushi was superb, and rivaled any
top Sushi bar I've been to in Chicago. A little bit expensive, but I
enjoyed it very much.
Mark

wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
>As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
>We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
>at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
>ago), I'm hoping it is still there - I've been jonsin' for some Indian
>Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
>We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
>through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
>Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
>dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
>made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
>Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
>holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
>done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
>about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
>staying at will provide breakfast....
>
>Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
>made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
>we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
>Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
>the spouse and I ever had.
>
>Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
>anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
>then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
>just enjoyable).
>
>Nothing like waiting until the very last second...
>
>Thank you all in advance,
>
>patrice

Enjoy yourself. I live in the southern part of the state and it is
cold down here too. LOL

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:54:34 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
>>We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

> It was good when his wife was with him: she has been his ex for a long
> time. I think she was the main cook behind it when it was good.
>
> How long ago were you there?
>
> Christine

I'm pretty sure it was seven years ago, give or take a year.
Someone from this list recommended it (Hubba Bubba? I'm a Bubba?
Something like that.). We really enjoyed the place. I had way too much
fry bread - some with the honeybutter and more with lettuce, cheese and
beans. I think they called it Indian pizza. Spouse had pork in adobado
sauce and was mighty happy. I remember there being posole with his meal
also. I'm not a meat eater at all, so my meal was great (I'm trying to
lie to myself that the beans weren't made in lard.) We've joked for
years that we should just hop a flight out and have lunch there - didn't
happen. Guess that's what it's disheartening to hear that it's not that
great anymore.
Something very similar would suffice I'm sure.

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:54:34 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>I believe it's Ron's El Camino Real - sorry. What happened to ROn's?
>>We really did enjoy the place and I'm wondering why it's to be avoided now.

> I was googling about it just now, and it seems it may have changed
> hands, and is no longer where it used to be.
>
> I was just in Albuquerque over the summer, and I saw it on Yale, but
> it did look different.
>
> I would say, sure go ahead and try it out. But from the reports I
> have heard, you can do better, if you want classic New Mexican.
>
> One good one is Pereas, which is on Central..but they only serve
> breakfast and lunch.
>
> I know there are others, and a friend took me to one in September, but
> the name escapes me now. It was really good.
>
> Christine

Think Christine, think! ;)

Jude wrote:

> Christine said:The Sanitary Tortilla Factory is no more. It closed a
> while back.
>
> Oh no! I will never forget that place. M&J's. Short for Mary &
> Joseph's. If you'd go there between November and january, they would
> offer you a free calander with a choice of pictures on it. You could
> choose from religious icons of Mary, Joseph, or Jesus, or the Aztec
> Love God theme with half-naked guys in feathered headdresses sweepinh
> busty maidens off their feet.
>
> They were hard core about the 'sanitary' part, too. The honey for the
> sopas was only available in the little single serving platic packets. I
> remember asking them about the cost-effectiveness and environmental
> impact of that, and them reminding me of all the little kids licking
> honey off the bottle in the non-Sanitary restaurants.
>
> Awesome lunch specials. You could order the Monday special any day of
> the week, it was just NAMED the Monday special. Same for the Tuesday,
> Wednesday, and etc.
>
> I know I went there last summer (2004). Never heard about them closing.
> <sigh>
>
> My other recommendation is to be sure to get to the Frontier for some
> people-watching, sticky sweet rolls, and the vat of green chile salsa
> to ladle over everything, the best being the Western Style Hash Browns
> with an egg on top.
>
> And of course, for pure unadulterated green chile, I used to go to the
> lunch counter at Duran's pharmacy and get a bowl of green with cheese,
> and one of their nice thick fluffy handmade tortillas.
>
> I want to move back just for the FOOD!! I'm about halfway through my
> sack of green chiles from this fall, but it's such a pain always having
> to peel, seed, and chop, never just order.

I'll put the Frontier and Duran's on my list of places to try. Thanks!

Mark D wrote:

> Was up in Santa Fe in the Spring, had a yearning for Japanese/Sushi, and
> went to Osaka on Cerrillos Rd. The Sushi was superb, and rivaled any
> top Sushi bar I've been to in Chicago. A little bit expensive, but I
> enjoyed it very much.
> Mark

Thanks for the recommendation!

GQ wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:36:02 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Hello All,
>>
>>We'll be n Santa Fe and ABQ for the Christmas Holidays.
>>As per usual, I've left making reservations until the very last second.
>>We fly into ABQ on the afternoon of the 22nd - dinner that night will be
>>at Ron's El Camino Royale on Yale (which you guys recommended years
>>ago), I'm hoping it is still there - I've been jonsin' for some Indian
>>Fry Bread for the last seven years (since the last time we were there).
>>We'll be in Santa Fe from the 23rd through the 26th, ABQ from the 26th
>>through the 29th (note taking may be necessary at this point).
>>Christmas eve will start with a soak at Ten Thousand Waves and then
>>dinner at La Casa Sena (the Cantina - it looked like a good time). I've
>>made no reservations for the 25th - my bad.
>>Generally, we're not reservation types of eaters, but around the
>>holidays, out of our element (Dallas area), it seems like this should be
>>done. Any suggestions? I'm down to the wire here and am a bit nervous
>>about the availability of places being open. The lovely BnB we'll be
>>staying at will provide breakfast....
>>
>>Last time we were there, seven years ago, was at Thanksgiving - I hadn't
>>made any type of plans for meals - we ended up eating sandwiches that
>>we'd picked up the day before at a grocery store, at Bandolier National
>>Park. I can honestly say that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that
>>the spouse and I ever had.
>>
>>Any suggestions for food and fun would be most appreciated. Our
>>anniversary is the 27th (for you non note takers, we'll be back in ABQ
>>then) and maybe we should do something special (not necessarily upscale,
>>just enjoyable).
>>
>>Nothing like waiting until the very last second...
>>
>>Thank you all in advance,
>>
>>patrice

> Enjoy yourself. I live in the southern part of the state and it is
> cold down here too. LOL

We're really looking forward to going back. Our last trip there was
most enjoyable. Since then, I've started knitting, and we're even
plannig a trip out to an alpaca farm.
Of course, all the wonderful New Mexican type foods top my list for why
I want to go back.

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:51:51 GMT, patrice <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Is Los Cuates similar to Tex Mex, or am I remembering a different place?

> I think you might be remembering a different place. Los Cuates is
> classic New Mexican, as far as I know
>
> If you want good New Mexican, you can go to Maria's in Santa Fe as
> well.
>
> Christine

I'm glad to hear that I'm remembering somewhere else. I'm positive that
we went to Los Cuates - I distinctly remember the large picture of the
namesakes (the twins) that hung in the front area of the place. Since
we didn't have a bad meal the whole time we were there it must have been
fine.
Having said that, we actually did have a bad meal, really bad, in ABQ.
It was the night of Thanksgiving when we got settled into the BnB in
ABQ. Seems like everything was closed and the sandwiches that we'd
eaten in Bandolier had worn off hours before. We went to a place called
the Cooperage - it was miserable. I've completely blocked out what the
meals were, and to top it off, the rest rooms were filthy.

I will put Maria's on my list, where is it located in Santa Fe?