Santana Tandem Wheel Concern

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Smith, May 19, 2003.

  1. Bill Smith

    Bill Smith Guest

    I purchase a new Santana Tandem road bike less than two years ago and have hac a lot of problems
    with it. My wife and I are in our early 60's and combine weight of less than 300 lbs. I have had the
    bike back to the dealer several times replacing the stoker crank bearing, rebuilding the head set
    five times,(last time they put in a Cris King head set), and failed the rear wheel rim twice. A stip
    on the rim that hold the tire bead beals out and it is not caused from hitting chuck holes. I have
    the 48 spoke wheel with Continental's 700X28 Gatorsikin tires that I keep at 120 psi. I had the
    first wheel go out after a year and a half and the exact failure occurred a month later on the
    replacement rim from Santana. Wheelsmith builds the wheel with a FIR rim. I am afraid if this
    happened on the front wheel that the strip could get caught in the brake pad and lock up the front
    wheel causing an accident. I am just wondering if anyone esle have had a similar problem?

    Tags:

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Bill Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I purchase a new Santana Tandem road bike less than two years ago and have hac a lot of problems
    > with it. My wife and I are in our early 60's and combine weight of less than 300 lbs. I have had
    > the bike back to the dealer several times replacing the stoker crank bearing, rebuilding the head
    > set five times,(last time they put in a Cris King head set), and failed the rear wheel rim twice.
    > A stip on the rim that hold the tire bead beals out and it is not caused from hitting chuck holes.
    > I have the 48 spoke wheel with Continental's 700X28 Gatorsikin tires that I keep at 120 psi. I had
    > the first wheel go out after a year and a half and the exact failure occurred a month later on the
    > replacement rim from Santana. Wheelsmith builds the wheel with a FIR rim. I am afraid if this
    > happened on the front wheel that the strip could get caught in the brake pad and lock up the front
    > wheel causing an accident. I am just wondering if anyone esle have had a similar problem?

    You may want to consider a different wheel builder and a different rim. Mavic T520s are available in
    40 hole. At one time they were also available in 48 hole. See URL:
    http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/asph-prod_fiche?produitsid=51&lg=uk We are using the Velocity
    Dyads in 48H on our tandem. Our team weight is 100+ lbs greater than yours. They are working
    perfectly. We have 6,000+ miles on them. We are using the Panaracer tandem tires @ 110 PSI. Check

    A great tandem wheel builder is Peter White. See URL:
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Tandemparts.asp

    You might also talk with Steve at Santana. I have found him responsive and very experienced.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  3. Bill Smith

    Bill Smith Guest

    I never transport my bike on the outside of the vehicle and very seldom ride in the rain. I am very
    concerned with the rim failure because that is a safety item. The head sets are more of a nuisance.
    I sent a email to Wheelsmith and they never replied. I do not know how to get in touch with the rim
    supplier FIR. If anyone knows how to get in touch with them and where they are located I would
    appreciate it.

    Bill Smith

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 01:05:24 GMT, [email protected] (Bill Smith) wrote:

    >I purchase a new Santana Tandem road bike less than two years ago and have hac a lot of problems
    >with it. My wife and I are in our early 60's and combine weight of less than 300 lbs. I have had
    >the bike back to the dealer several times replacing the stoker crank bearing, rebuilding the head
    >set five times,(last time they put in a Cris King head set), and failed the rear wheel rim twice. A
    >stip on the rim that hold the tire bead beals out and it is not caused from hitting chuck holes. I
    >have the 48 spoke wheel with Continental's 700X28 Gatorsikin tires that I keep at 120 psi. I had
    >the first wheel go out after a year and a half and the exact failure occurred a month later on the
    >replacement rim from Santana. Wheelsmith builds the wheel with a FIR rim. I am afraid if this
    >happened on the front wheel that the strip could get caught in the brake pad and lock up the front
    >wheel causing an accident. I am just wondering if anyone esle have had a similar problem?

  4. Bill Putnam

    Bill Putnam Guest

    "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<4Npya.19664$%[email protected]>...
    > "Bill Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I purchase a new Santana Tandem road bike less than two years ago and have hac a lot of problems
    > > with it. ...I have had the bike back to the dealer several times replacing the stoker crank
    > > bearing, rebuilding the head set five times,(last time they put in a Cris King head set), and
    > > failed the rear wheel rim twice. A stip on the rim that hold the tire bead beals out and it is
    > > not caused from hitting chuck holes. I have the 48 spoke wheel with Continental's 700X28
    > > Gatorsikin tires that I keep at 120 psi. I had the first wheel go out after a year and a half
    > > and the exact failure occurred a month later on the replacement rim from Santana. Wheelsmith
    > > builds the wheel with a FIR rim. I am afraid if this happened on the front wheel that the strip
    > > could get caught in the brake pad and lock up the front wheel causing an accident. I am just
    > > wondering if anyone esle have had a similar problem?
    > ... A great tandem wheel builder is Peter White. See URL:
    > http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Tandemparts.asp
    >
    > You might also talk with Steve at Santana. I have found him responsive and very experienced.
    >
    > David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

    I would be concerned about the competence of a bike shop that has replaced a headset five times
    unless you do some substantial mileage, or have your bike on the outside of a car in the rain at
    highway speeds frequently. The rim failures are puzzling as well and if it is the aluminum rim
    itself separating this sounds like a manufacturing defect unless you had done enough wet weather
    braking or had brake shoes filled with aluminum shavings that you ground away the rim sidewall-have
    you noticed if your brake shoes have bits of aluminum embeded in them? Note that Kool Stop salmon
    colored brake shoes are helpful to minimize rim wear from braking. See
    http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/brakeshoes.htm for some discussion and illustrations on that.

    Ditto re: Peter White and calling Santana.

    Puzzled,

    Bill Putnam

  5. On Mon, 19 May 2003 21:05:24 -0400, Bill Smith wrote:

    > I purchase a new Santana Tandem road bike less than two years ago and have hac a lot of problems
    > with it. My wife and I are in our early 60's and combine weight of less than 300 lbs. I have had
    > the bike back to the dealer several times replacing the stoker crank bearing, rebuilding the head
    > set five times,

    You need to call Santana. That kind of service life is ridiculous. Either there's something
    structurally wrong or the parts are not being installed correctly.

    (last time they put in a Cris King head set), and
    > failed the rear wheel rim twice. A stip on the rim that hold the tire bead beals out and it is not
    > caused from hitting chuck holes. I have the 48 spoke wheel with Continental's 700X28 Gatorsikin
    > tires that I keep at 120 psi. I had the first wheel go out after a year and a half and the exact
    > failure occurred a month later on the replacement rim from Santana. Wheelsmith builds the wheel
    > with a FIR rim. I am afraid if this happened on the front wheel that the strip could get caught in
    > the brake pad and lock up the front wheel causing an accident. I am just wondering if anyone esle
    > have had a similar problem?

    I've never heard of anybody having a service history like yours before.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > On Tue, 20 May 2003 01:05:24 GMT, [email protected] (Bill Smith) wrote:
    >
    > >I purchase a new Santana Tandem road bike less than two years ago and have hac a lot of problems
    > >with it. My wife and I are in our early 60's and combine weight of less than 300 lbs. I have had
    > >the bike back to the dealer several times replacing the stoker crank bearing, rebuilding the head
    > >set five times,(last time they put in a Cris King head set), and failed the rear wheel rim twice.
    > >A stip on the rim that hold the tire bead beals out and it is not caused from hitting chuck
    > >holes. I have the 48 spoke wheel with Continental's 700X28 Gatorsikin tires that I keep at 120
    > >psi. I had the first wheel go out after a year and a half and the exact failure occurred a month
    > >later on the replacement rim from Santana. Wheelsmith builds the wheel with a FIR rim. I am
    > >afraid if this happened on the front wheel that the strip could get caught in the brake pad and
    > >lock up the front wheel causing an accident. I am just wondering if anyone esle have had a
    > >similar problem?

    "Bill Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I never transport my bike on the outside of the vehicle and very seldom ride in the rain. I am
    > very concerned with the rim failure because that is a safety item. The head sets are more of a
    > nuisance. I sent a email to Wheelsmith and they never replied. I do not know how to get in touch
    > with the rim supplier FIR. If anyone knows how to get in touch with them and where they are
    > located I would appreciate it.

    Santana had a known issue with a bad batch of FIR rims two or three years ago. Your dealer probabaly
    should have replaced it gratis _ before_ it cracked. I rebuilt four bikes with T519 rims that month
    after the first crack.

    Wheelsmith is a spoke manufacturer and a wheel building operation. They do not manufacture rims.

    I agree the headset issue smells of incompetent installation more than anthing else. Hell, even a
    $9.95 headset should go several years of normal riidng if milled square, lubricated and properly
    adjusted. (I often wonder about $100-plus headsets as the very cheapest ones commonly outlast the
    rest of the bike. . .)

    I am a Santana dealer of long standing. If any of those problems were typical I would be seeing
    tandems being returned through the front window. My customers are not at all understanding of
    new-vehicle problems in that price range. They expect reliability and they get it.

    You need to have a calm, thorough review with the owner of the shop including a written list of
    things which need to be addressed and the date you'll be back to pick up your corrected bike.
    Nothing above is Santana specific except maybe the FIR rim. It is all workmanship or lack thereof.