Santa's Coming

The Ranger

Guest
We attempt an annual pilgrimage to a local mall during this
festive time of year for one reason. It's not the myriad of
stores. It's not the huge crowds that are packed like grunion
milling from one storefront to the next. It's not the mall's
multi-tiered dual parking garages (although that /is/ a positive).
No. It's much more simple than that.

Santa.

And not just one of the many Santa's helping jolly Ol' St. Nick in
his appointed duties. This is **THE** Santa Claus straight from
that wondrous movie, "Miracle on 34th Street."

We've been taking Daughter-units Alpha and Beta to see him since
their first Christmas at 3 month old. He's a bear of a man -- huge
-- but as gentle as a craftsman of porcelain dolls. He exudes
charisma and charm. His confidence in mastering even the most
difficult child is magical. My daughter-units took to him without
so much as a blink of an eye. There have been hiccups, to be sure,
-- those last minute jitters children exhibit as they realize that
Santa knows their most hidden secrets -- along the way but none so
insurmountable¹ that we've had to miss a single year's snap shot.

This year, without fail, Santa magically appeared for the waiting
Throngs-O'-Kids. Daughter-unit Beta, long since over her fear of
the Man-in-Red, pranced and pirouetted in line. Daughter-unit
Alpha demurely stood by SWMBO's side, holding her hand. Spawn
pranced and danced, jittered and jumped to her unknown beat,
singing back at the chorus of special echoes.

As we approached, the gate opened.

The three girl-units entered Santa's chamber, instantly putting
forth their best manners reserved only for special occasions.

Santa voice softly rose from some deep cavern, "Welcome! What have
we here?"

"This is my sister. This is my other sister. And I'm me," D-uA
helpfully supplied.

"And so they are, [Alpha]."

The gasp from all three forced me to turn away. (My little brain
surgeon had forgotten that her name was embroidered on the front
of her jacket.)

"Have you all been good? Of course you have... Here. Sit down.
Let's have Santa's helpers take a picture to remember the fun
we're having."

Spawn sat up straight, smiled impishly, and then set her head
against his chest. It's was a shame that D-uB chose that very
moment to look ceiling-ward as the camera flashed but that's Real
Life® when you've got that one Kodak moment...

Detailed lists were provided through hushed whispers, smiles and
claps. Spawn, still at that curious age of exploring through
touch, gently stroked Santa's beard. As if some mental command had
been given, all three dropped from Santa's lap and turned to give
him a hug. As they left, he reminded each about their promise to
be good and handed them all a special mask. As they received their
masks, each thanked him. We were about to leave when Daughter-unit
Alpha walked back and looked at him. "See you next year."

ObFood: Schezuan chicken and steamed rice.

The Ranger
¹ One year, SWMBO² got to sit with Santa -- and that proved to
Daughter-unit Beta that, even though he was big and red and
bearded, he was safe. D-uA's always thought of him as her own live
Teddy Bear.
² http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~schott/rumpole/references/she.html

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:27:42 -0800, The Ranger
<[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>We attempt an annual pilgrimage to a local mall during this
>festive time of year for one reason. It's not the myriad of
>stores. It's not the huge crowds that are packed like grunion
>milling from one storefront to the next. It's not the mall's
>multi-tiered dual parking garages (although that /is/ a positive).
>No. It's much more simple than that.
>
>Santa.

<snip good story>

I got my Santa's Lap photo of my (nearly) 2 yr. old grandson a couple
of days ago. He looks absolutely terrified.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

I thought Santa was CUMMING !!!!

<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>Life® when you've got that one Kodak moment...
>
>Detailed lists were provided through hushed whispers, smiles and
>claps. Spawn, still at that curious age of exploring through
>touch, gently stroked Santa's beard. As if some mental command had
>been given, all three dropped from Santa's lap and turned to give
>him a hug. As they left, he reminded each about their promise to
>be good and handed them all a special mask. As they received their
>masks, each thanked him. We were about to leave when Daughter-unit
>Alpha walked back and looked at him. "See you next year."
>
>ObFood: Schezuan chicken and steamed rice.
>
>The Ranger
>¹ One year, SWMBO² got to sit with Santa -- and that proved to
>Daughter-unit Beta that, even though he was big and red and
>bearded, he was safe. D-uA's always thought of him as her own live

"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We attempt an annual pilgrimage to a local mall during this
> festive time of year for one reason. It's not the myriad of
> stores. It's not the huge crowds that are packed like grunion
> milling from one storefront to the next. It's not the mall's
> multi-tiered dual parking garages (although that /is/ a positive).
> No. It's much more simple than that.
>
> Santa.

Wonderful:)) Thank you:))

"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We attempt an annual pilgrimage to a local mall during this
> festive time of year for one reason. It's not the myriad of
> stores. It's not the huge crowds that are packed like grunion
> milling from one storefront to the next. It's not the mall's
> multi-tiered dual parking garages (although that /is/ a positive).
> No. It's much more simple than that.
>
> Santa.

Great story. I was at the mall with my two-year-old, but not specifically
to see Santa. But as we gazed at the strangely animal-themed winter
decorations (giraffes? zebras? monkeys?), Santa happened to walk past, on
his lunch break.

"Santa Claus!," piped David, pointing.

"Yes," I said, "He's going to eat lunch," I explained.

"Santa Clause eat donuts!," he fervently corrected me, straining to follow
the big guy in the red suit. And the rest of our time at the mall, all he
wanted to do was go and find Santa, who was eating donuts (? not sure where
that came from....I guess he does look like he eats lots of donuts).

Anyway, we finally did venture over to the line to sit on Santa's lap.
David didn't want to sit on his lap, and I didn't make him. We all shook
hands instead.

Chris

> "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> We attempt an annual pilgrimage to a local mall during this
>> festive time of year for one reason. It's not the myriad of
>> stores. It's not the huge crowds that are packed like grunion
>> milling from one storefront to the next. It's not the mall's
>> multi-tiered dual parking garages (although that /is/ a positive).
>> No. It's much more simple than that.
>>
>> Santa.

> Great story. I was at the mall with my two-year-old, but not
> specifically to see Santa. But as we gazed at the strangely
> animal-themed winter decorations (giraffes? zebras? monkeys?), Santa
> happened to walk past, on his lunch break.
>
> "Santa Claus!," piped David, pointing.
>
> "Yes," I said, "He's going to eat lunch," I explained.
>
> "Santa Clause eat donuts!," he fervently corrected me, straining to
> follow the big guy in the red suit. And the rest of our time at the
> mall, all he wanted to do was go and find Santa, who was eating donuts
> (? not sure where that came from....I guess he does look like he eats
> lots of donuts).
>
> Anyway, we finally did venture over to the line to sit on Santa's lap.
> David didn't want to sit on his lap, and I didn't make him. We all
> shook hands instead.

LOL lovely Chris, thanks:)

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:12:42 GMT, "Ophelia" <[email protected]>
replied:
>"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > We attempt an annual pilgrimage to a local mall during this
> > festive time of year for one reason. It's not the myriad of
> > stores. It's not the huge crowds that are packed like grunion
> > milling from one storefront to the next. It's not the mall's
> > multi-tiered dual parking garages (although that /is/ a positive).
> > No. It's much more simple than that.
> >
> > Santa.
> >

> Wonderful:)) Thank you:))

Glad you enjoyed. I've enjoyed the 11-years' worth of pilgrimages
we've made to this particular stopover for Santa. No matter how
busy this man is, and he _is_ busy, he spends as much time with
each child (and parent), as necessary. And, unlike other stopovers
Santa might use, the time between standing in line and getting
your moment with the Man never seems to be that long...

The Ranger

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:40:00 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]>
replied:
> "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > We attempt an annual pilgrimage to a local mall during this
> > festive time of year for one reason. It's not the myriad of
> > stores. It's not the huge crowds that are packed like grunion
> > milling from one storefront to the next. It's not the mall's
> > multi-tiered dual parking garages (although that /is/ a positive).
> > No. It's much more simple than that.
> >
> > Santa.

> Great story. I was at the mall with my two-year-old, but not specifically
> to see Santa. But as we gazed at the strangely animal-themed winter
> decorations (giraffes? zebras? monkeys?), Santa happened to walk past, on
> his lunch break.
>
> "Santa Claus!," piped David, pointing.
>
> "Yes," I said, "He's going to eat lunch," I explained.
>
> "Santa Clause eat donuts!," he fervently corrected me, straining to follow
> the big guy in the red suit. And the rest of our time at the mall, all he
> wanted to do was go and find Santa, who was eating donuts (? not sure where
> that came from....I guess he does look like he eats lots of donuts).
>
> Anyway, we finally did venture over to the line to sit on Santa's lap.
> David didn't want to sit on his lap, and I didn't make him. We all shook
> hands instead.

That's a nice way to end the day, too. <G>

The Ranger

"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:12:42 GMT, "Ophelia" <[email protected]>
> replied:
>>"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>> > We attempt an annual pilgrimage to a local mall during this
>> > festive time of year for one reason. It's not the myriad of
>> > stores. It's not the huge crowds that are packed like grunion
>> > milling from one storefront to the next. It's not the mall's
>> > multi-tiered dual parking garages (although that /is/ a positive).
>> > No. It's much more simple than that.
>> >
>> > Santa.
>> >

>> Wonderful:)) Thank you:))
>>

> Glad you enjoyed. I've enjoyed the 11-years' worth of pilgrimages
> we've made to this particular stopover for Santa. No matter how
> busy this man is, and he _is_ busy, he spends as much time with
> each child (and parent), as necessary. And, unlike other stopovers
> Santa might use, the time between standing in line and getting
> your moment with the Man never seems to be that long...

I hope such a well loved man is able to continue for many years. I hope
you have told him of the affection your family has for him

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:42:18 GMT, "Ophelia" <[email protected]>
replied:
> "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > Wonderful:)) Thank you:))
> > >

> > Glad you enjoyed. I've enjoyed the 11-years' worth of pilgrimages
> > we've made to this particular stopover for Santa. No matter how
> > busy this man is, and he _is_ busy, he spends as much time with
> > each child (and parent), as necessary. And, unlike other stopovers
> > Santa might use, the time between standing in line and getting
> > your moment with the Man never seems to be that long...
> >

> I hope such a well loved man is able to continue for many years.
> I hope you have told him of the affection your family has for him.

Every year. My pain will be when Spawn makes the connection and
we're no longer able to make this pilgrimage... I see this
happening in two years; if she's lucky. Too many kids at her
school are willing to play spoiler for those that still want to
believe.

The Ranger