Sanyo Dynapower maintenance

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tim McNamara, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    My Sanyo Dynapower has a bit of a squeak in it when engaged. Is there
    some way to lubricate the bearings? I can't figure it out, other than
    just running lube into the ends of the roller and hoping for the best.

    Tags:

  2. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My Sanyo Dynapower has a bit of a squeak in it when engaged. Is there
    > some way to lubricate the bearings? I can't figure it out, other than
    > just running lube into the ends of the roller and hoping for the best.

    http://www.ctcforum.org.uk/MesReplist.aspx?bcid=3&id=11713

    Read down to the posts at the bottom of this thread. WD40 and thick
    Sturmey Archer oil are two recommendations although the unit doesn't get
    very good reviews.

    Phil H

  3. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Phil Holman" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> My Sanyo Dynapower has a bit of a squeak in it when engaged. Is
    >> there some way to lubricate the bearings? I can't figure it out,
    >> other than just running lube into the ends of the roller and hoping
    >> for the best.

    > http://www.ctcforum.org.uk/MesReplist.aspx?bcid=3&id=11713
    >
    > Read down to the posts at the bottom of this thread. WD40 and thick
    > Sturmey Archer oil are two recommendations although the unit doesn't
    > get very good reviews.

    Well, mixed reviews at best. Mine has worked fine thus far, but I've
    noticed just a little bearing squeal on the last couple of rides and
    was hoping to get on top of that quickly (not as bad as the blower fan
    squeal in my Volvo 240, though. Yikes). Unfortunately the folks
    talking about this were nonspecific as to how the unit might be lubed
    up. Sounds like they adopted the "pour it in the end" method.

    Thanks!

  4. Tom Schmitz

    Tom Schmitz Guest

    Tim McNamara wrote:
    > "Phil Holman" <[email protected]> writes:
    >

    >>"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>

    >>>My Sanyo Dynapower has a bit of a squeak in it when engaged. Is
    >>>there some way to lubricate the bearings? I can't figure it out,

    -snip-

    > Well, mixed reviews at best. Mine has worked fine thus far, but I've
    > noticed just a little bearing squeal on the last couple of rides and
    > was hoping to get on top of that quickly (not as bad as the blower fan
    > squeal in my Volvo 240, though. Yikes). Unfortunately the folks
    > talking about this were nonspecific as to how the unit might be lubed
    > up. Sounds like they adopted the "pour it in the end" method.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I run two of these on two different bikes, but have a spare on the
    shelf. I've had a total of five with three still serviceable.

    These things need to be completely stripped down to properly lube. It's
    not too hard. One screw takes the frame apart. This screw is in the
    front of the frame near the release lever. Note that getting the release
    lever re-assembled can be a chore. There is a setscrew in the non-wire
    end of the frame that allows that side of the frame to come off.
    Careful, it is a tiny Phillips head.

    On the wire side you need to pry the rubber cap off, un-crimp a wire
    holder, and spin off a nut. The that side will slip off over the wire.
    No need to take it all the way. Watch the end-play adjustment nut that
    is under the frame.

    Once this is done you can dribble oil into either end of the drum - it
    runs on plain bushings.

    This is something I do on a semi annual basis and I have had good luck
    with them, save for one that totally trashed a wire-side bushing and one
    that shattered a magnet. I've been using them for about 15 years now.

    To disassemble further requires quite a bit of effort, which I could
    describe off-line if asked.

    Cheers,

    Tom

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Tim McNamara wrote:
    > Well, mixed reviews at best. Mine has worked fine thus far, but I've
    > noticed just a little bearing squeal on the last couple of rides and
    > was hoping to get on top of that quickly (not as bad as the blower fan
    > squeal in my Volvo 240, though. Yikes). Unfortunately the folks
    > talking about this were nonspecific as to how the unit might be lubed
    > up. Sounds like they adopted the "pour it in the end" method.

    The Sanyo Dynapower hub has bearings which are only
    minimally lubricated when new. You'll need to undo the
    outside nuts to remove a bearing seal and inject grease ( or
    flush out and re lubricate if contaminated).

    On the terminal side this is tedious as the lead wire exits
    in the axle slot and makes one full loop around the axle. I
    use a dab of silicone seal on reassembly at the wire exit.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. jtaylor

    jtaylor Guest

    "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My Sanyo Dynapower has a bit of a squeak in it when engaged. Is there
    > some way to lubricate the bearings? I can't figure it out, other than
    > just running lube into the ends of the roller and hoping for the best.

    While you are working on it, check that the actuating cam on the lever has
    not worn loose on the shaft.

    If it has, this can be repaired by silver-soldering it permanently to the
    shaft; you'll need a good small flame and a bit of surgury on a
    non-essential part of the body casting to do this, but it is a much better
    solution than the hex shaft-and-hole that they come with.