Sapim CX Ray Spokes - Worth It?

velobob

Sep 15, 2004
I am thinking of buying a set of American Classic 350's and I can upgrade the spokes from DT Competition to Sapim CX-Ray for $150. Any opinions on if I should take the upgrade? I am 170lbs cat 4 and I do a lot of crits and hilly rides / road races.

thx

velobob said:
I am thinking of buying a set of American Classic 350's and I can upgrade the spokes from DT Competition to Sapim CX-Ray for $150. Any opinions on if I should take the upgrade? I am 170lbs cat 4 and I do a lot of crits and hilly rides / road races.

thx
These spokes are the ones that were ridden by race winner in the 2000/1/2/3/4 Tour de France ( and second place too ).
$2.50 each * 60 spokes makes it a pricey upgrade, but they are very strong and aero. That's the going price so it's your money and your decision. You won't want to pay to have them installed later.

daveornee said:
These spokes are the ones that were ridden by race winner in the 2000/1/2/3/4 Tour de France ( and second place too ).
$2.50 each * 60 spokes makes it a pricey upgrade, but they are very strong and aero. That's the going price so it's your money and your decision. You won't want to pay to have them installed later.
I've had the very same dilemma myself. Last year I was on a team sponsored by AC. I can honestly tell you that none of the riders upgraded to the Sapim spokes based on the fact that the hubs aren't of high enough quality. Unless AC hasn't improved the hubs I'd say save your money for something else. I think the Tour winner had the Sapims on Lightweight wheels costing > $3000 per set. Hope that helps,

JS