Saracen or Carrera

RC_Racer

Jun 22, 2005
Hi Guys,
I'm new to this site, but i was wondering if you could give me a few pointers as to what bike i should go for. I am currently looking at The £360 Carrera Kraken and the £300 Saracen Xcell. They are both Hardtails. I am being drawn towards the Carrera, as i have been told that Saracen have a rubbish build quality...is this true? I had an Saracen Ikon for 9 months and had no end of trouble with it, so I got me money back on it. Basically, i would be very greatful of any advice on whether to go for the more expensive Carrera or the cheaper Saracen.
Thanks alot!

RC_Racer said:
Hi Guys,
I'm new to this site, but i was wondering if you could give me a few pointers as to what bike i should go for. I am currently looking at The £360 Carrera Kraken and the £300 Saracen Xcell. They are both Hardtails. I am being drawn towards the Carrera, as i have been told that Saracen have a rubbish build quality...is this true? I had an Saracen Ikon for 9 months and had no end of trouble with it, so I got me money back on it. Basically, i would be very greatful of any advice on whether to go for the more expensive Carrera or the cheaper Saracen.
Thanks alot!
its all about price, the more expensive they are then the better the build quality, Carrera is a Halfords own brand, you cant buy them anywhere else...but i would go for Saracen, they used to build £3,000 mtbs in the 90s...but thier market seems to be these bulky street bikes nowadays with huge suspension...

i personally would only buy the 'kili' range from saracen if thats all the choice i had....but at £700.00 and up not everyone can afford them.

if i had £500 in my back pocket i would go anywhere near halfords...i would go mail order and see what that gets me....try Merlin cycles(uk)...terrific bikes by the way, i still have one and its quality is excellent..

RC_Racer said:
Hi Guys,
Thanks alot!

I would have a look in your local bike shop too. I believe MBR magazine have just done another of their dirty dozen tests on entry-level HT's (June Issue) . Worth a read, see if any of your mates have a copy lying around. Giant and Claud Butler did quite well in the tests, and I know the frames that CB use on the bike tested (Cape Wrath) also get used on the lower spec Stone River, so its a good base to start from. Ride a few mates bikes too to geta feel for whats out there...

i have two krakens an 02 and an 05 both are very good bikes. front/rear mechs deore, shifters deore. tektra mechanical discs, tioga finishing kit, truvative cranks etc. frames made by merida. i really dont think you'll get better for £350ish. then maybe i'm biased own two krakens, two fury's (03 and 05) my son has a fury and my ladyfriend has a crossfire 3000