Sartorial issue regarding cycling

MorganaPendragon

Nov 26, 2017
I am not sure where this should go. So, I took a guess and posted it here. If this is not the place, sorry. I did search for a similar topic or message and found nothing.

I want to ride a 21 speed bicycle while wearing long skirts and dresses. How do I go about that without getting my clothing caught up in the chain or wheel?

With considerable difficulty.
There are ”skirt guards” that covers the top (front) half of the rear wheel and can be fitted to most bikes with fenders.
For the chain you need a chain case/chain guard. Preferably a fully enclosed one, but that won’t work on a derailer gear bike.
Even fitting one only covering the crankset and the top run is kinda awkward, as it’ll need a sizeable cut-out to clear the front derailer.
Since I’m having trouble envisioning someone riding either hard or far in long skirts My recommendation would be to get yourself an internal-gear bike instead. 5-7 gear IGHs aren’t that expensive and will work well for average utility riding.

I think I’ve seen pics from BITD of women tucking part of the hem into leg wrappings running from ankle to calf.

Last edited:
With considerable difficulty.
There are ”skirt guards” that covers the top (front) half of the rear wheel and can be fitted to most bikes with fenders.
For the chain you need a chain case/chain guard. Preferably a fully enclosed one, but that won’t work on a derailer gear bike.
Even fitting one only covering the crankset and the top run is kinda awkward, as it’ll need a sizeable cut-out to clear the front derailer.
Since I’m having trouble envisioning someone riding either hard or far in long skirts My recommendation would be to get yourself an internal-gear bike instead. 5-7 gear IGHs aren’t that expensive and will work well for average utility riding.

I think I’ve seen pics from BITD of women tucking part of the hem into leg wrappings running from ankle to calf.
Could you point me in the direction of internal-gear bicycles?

Internal geared hubs... So nice in traffic lights... Hideous to service... :D
I had one of those... A really really small half-flange fell out of an axis or something. No more drivetrain.. :D No parts.. :D

They changed the whole thing! Fortunately still within warranty but I still was left without a bike for about 2 months..

On the other hand I met some ppls who were riding some huge loaded tandems through whatever for like a month with no problems... But they were Rohloff hubs and zey are very very ezxpenzive...