Sartorial muscle strain - anyone else?

adrian knight

Jul 3, 2007
Has anyone suffered with a strained sartorial muscle (located at front of pelvis above thigh)? It is caused by over-extending and I did mine when doing hamstring stretch and forced my other leg straight at the pelvis. I immediately knew I'd done something bad and couldn't walk properly for days (or sit in an upright chair). Eventually it seemed to get better but has always been a bit temperamental. It has just come back with avengeance. There doesn't seem to be much out there on how to treat this injury.

adrian knight said:
Has anyone suffered with a strained sartorial muscle (located at front of pelvis above thigh)? It is caused by over-extending and I did mine when doing hamstring stretch and forced my other leg straight at the pelvis. I immediately knew I'd done something bad and couldn't walk properly for days (or sit in an upright chair). Eventually it seemed to get better but has always been a bit temperamental. It has just come back with avengeance. There doesn't seem to be much out there on how to treat this injury.
Yeah its a *****. I used to get a fair bit that action playing football. It takes forever to get your confidence back too. Usually a full week of rest clears out the sharpness of pain and then you need to get in the pool. Its very very easy to push it too far to soon and go back to square one. Its not like a hammy when you can almost feel the moment it has recovered (and can lift intensity relatively quickly). This injury takes patience (something I had/have none of).

Over extension too soon and it will go again (at least for me it was like that). I used to start in the pool by standing in above waist deep water and doing simple bent leg raises. Eventually you can progress later in the week to straight leg raises (underwater). Then hit 50m lap pool with a kick board.

Oh and dont push and poke at it - like I always did lol....

existence said:
Yeah its a *****. I used to get a fair bit that action playing football. It takes forever to get your confidence back too. Usually a full week of rest clears out the sharpness of pain and then you need to get in the pool. Its very very easy to push it too far to soon and go back to square one. Its not like a hammy when you can almost feel the moment it has recovered (and can lift intensity relatively quickly). This injury takes patience (something I had/have none of).

Over extension too soon and it will go again (at least for me it was like that). I used to start in the pool by standing in above waist deep water and doing simple bent leg raises. Eventually you can progress later in the week to straight leg raises (underwater). Then hit 50m lap pool with a kick board.

Oh and dont push and poke at it - like I always did lol....
Thanks for the advice. I'll stop the pushing and poking immediately!!!

I was unfortunate enough to have the muscle rip a piece of bone off my pelvis where it usually attaches. I were only a lad at the time (15) and playing football with 25 year olds.One bad slide tackle later and thought I'd dislocated a hip v.bad pain. Played the rest of the game in goal ! I could stand on the leg but not move it forward at all. I could fell the muscle moving about when I tried this also laying down on your back and trying to lift the leg. The docs had me on crutches for 6 weeks and told me no weight on it for that time. A further 3 months of walking only, then ramp up running etc. It was very tight for a long time 12 to 24 months.No bother now even tho I'm getting on (34) I'm quite flexible tho...........
Wait till it settles down then often as you can and at least once a day GENTLY and SLOWLY stretch it.

Good luck.
Weed.

weedvspeed said:
I was unfortunate enough to have the muscle rip a piece of bone off my pelvis where it usually attaches. I were only a lad at the time (15) and playing football with 25 year olds.One bad slide tackle later and thought I'd dislocated a hip v.bad pain. Played the rest of the game in goal ! I could stand on the leg but not move it forward at all. I could fell the muscle moving about when I tried this also laying down on your back and trying to lift the leg. The docs had me on crutches for 6 weeks and told me no weight on it for that time. A further 3 months of walking only, then ramp up running etc. It was very tight for a long time 12 to 24 months.No bother now even tho I'm getting on (34) I'm quite flexible tho...........
Wait till it settles down then often as you can and at least once a day GENTLY and SLOWLY stretch it.

Good luck.
Weed.
Jeez! My injury pales in comparison. Good to hear even this extent of injury can be fixed. Thanks for the advice. Ade