Satellite Tracking Service

Randy Bosma

Jan 15, 2010
Hello All,

Thru some posts on cycling blogs and a Google search, I have become aware of the SPOT Satellite Tracker (2 models) and the annual subscription that provides services for your device (tracking, calling emergency services, etc.). http://www.findmespot.com/en/

My questions: Is this the only game in town? The prices seem reasonable, but are there others in the market providing similar services? Anybody have experience with this?

Thanx!

I use Amateur Radio for tracking. Specifically, APRS, or Automatic Position Reporting Service, which is a digital form of communication. It has been used to track races, tours, and just about everything else you could want to track. The advantage of Amateur Radio, for those that use it, is independence from commercial systems, especially those that rely on our now-unreliable power grid. This particular method of tracking has been around since the early 90's, and there is a load of info regarding it on the web. Too much, in fact, to go into further detail here, so I'd recommend doing a google search. It does require an Amateur Radio license, but that is well worth the effort and minor investment.

Of course, you could always just get one of those dashboard-mounted devices and use that on your bike. There's more than one way to do this.

Originally Posted by ax25nut .

I use Amateur Radio for tracking. Specifically, APRS, or Automatic Position Reporting Service, which is a digital form of communication. ...
Thanks, I'll google that and check it out.