Satisfaction from Cannondale

Paul Turner

Guest
A few weeks ago I mentioned that my Cannondale touring frame (about five
years old) had cracked at the weld where the top tube meets the seat tube.
Cannondale replaced the frame and also replaced the fork (because current
frame color is different). I was pleased by the way the company and my the
local bike shop treated me. I suppose it was no more than what was warranted
at the time of purchase, but you don't always get that from people. If
Cannondale had insisted that I prove that the crack was due to a defect in
workmanship or materials rather than accident or misuse I'm not sure how I
would have made my case. I was glad not to have any hassle. It was a good
excuse for a tune up and a couple of new parts, too. It's nice having a
"new" bike to ride to work this week, so I thought I'd give credit where
credit is due.

--
Paul Turner

Paul Turner wrote:
> A few weeks ago I mentioned that my Cannondale touring frame (about five
> years old) had cracked at the weld where the top tube meets the seat tube.
> Cannondale replaced the frame and also replaced the fork (because current
> frame color is different). I was pleased by the way the company and my the
> local bike shop treated me. I suppose it was no more than what was warranted
> at the time of purchase, but you don't always get that from people. If
> Cannondale had insisted that I prove that the crack was due to a defect in
> workmanship or materials rather than accident or misuse I'm not sure how I
> would have made my case. I was glad not to have any hassle. It was a good
> excuse for a tune up and a couple of new parts, too. It's nice having a
> "new" bike to ride to work this week, so I thought I'd give credit where
> credit is due.
>
> --
> Paul Turner

Cannondale is a pretty small company from what I know of them,
definitely not as large as some other companies. So they probably
realize that one customer that starts spreading un-kind remarks about
their service may hurt more than the cost of a new frame, thus they keep
you happy.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:20:47 -0500, Ken M <[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Turner wrote:
>> A few weeks ago I mentioned that my Cannondale touring frame (about five
>> years old) had cracked at the weld where the top tube meets the seat tube.
>> Cannondale replaced the frame and also replaced the fork (because current
>> frame color is different). I was pleased by the way the company and my the
>> local bike shop treated me. I suppose it was no more than what was warranted
>> at the time of purchase, but you don't always get that from people. If
>> Cannondale had insisted that I prove that the crack was due to a defect in
>> workmanship or materials rather than accident or misuse I'm not sure how I
>> would have made my case. I was glad not to have any hassle. It was a good
>> excuse for a tune up and a couple of new parts, too. It's nice having a
>> "new" bike to ride to work this week, so I thought I'd give credit where
>> credit is due.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Turner
>>

>Cannondale is a pretty small company from what I know of them,
>definitely not as large as some other companies. So they probably
>realize that one customer that starts spreading un-kind remarks about
>their service may hurt more than the cost of a new frame, thus they keep
>you happy.

I'm curious how they handled Chalo's frame with the buckled downtube.
Considering he was injured when it failed, this story leaves me
hopeful that they did the right thing in that instance too.

Chalo: Any update on the outcome of that debacle?
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:

> >Paul Turner wrote:
> >> A few weeks ago I mentioned that my Cannondale touring frame (about five
> >> years old) had cracked at the weld where the top tube meets the seat tube.
> >> Cannondale replaced the frame and also replaced the fork (because current
> >> frame color is different).

<snip>
> >> I thought I'd give credit where credit is due.

> I'm curious how they handled Chalo's frame with the buckled downtube.
> Considering he was injured when it failed, this story leaves me
> hopeful that they did the right thing in that instance too.
>
> Chalo: Any update on the outcome of that debacle?

Just as they had done before, Cannondale came through with a
replacement frame under warranty. The one I buckled was in fact a
recent replacement (also under warranty) for an old frame that cracked
at the seat post binder.

I have now had four Cannondale frames replaced under warranty, and a
couple more under their reduced price crash replacement program. (I
lost count of how many forks they replaced for me.) That's on only
four bikes I ever bought new from them, and two of those never needed
replacement.

Whenever they had implemented a design change that meant I'd have to
replace parts, the warranty frames came with all the necessary parts!
They gave me cantilever brakes when they switched from rollercams; they
gave me a fork and headset when they went from 1" to 1-1/4"; and they
gave me a fork, headset, stem, and seatpost when they changed the
touring bike to 1-1/8" with a sloping top tube.

I really can't say enough good things about Cannondale's customer
support.

Chalo Colina

On 13 Dec 2005 14:48:13 -0800, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Zoot Katz wrote:

><snip>

>> I'm curious how they handled Chalo's frame with the buckled downtube.
>> Considering he was injured when it failed, this story leaves me
>> hopeful that they did the right thing in that instance too.
>>
>> Chalo: Any update on the outcome of that debacle?

>Just as they had done before, Cannondale came through with a
>replacement frame under warranty. The one I buckled was in fact a
>recent replacement (also under warranty) for an old frame that cracked
>at the seat post binder.
>
>I have now had four Cannondale frames replaced under warranty, and a
>couple more under their reduced price crash replacement program. (I
>lost count of how many forks they replaced for me.) That's on only
>four bikes I ever bought new from them, and two of those never needed
>replacement.
>
>Whenever they had implemented a design change that meant I'd have to
>replace parts, the warranty frames came with all the necessary parts!
>They gave me cantilever brakes when they switched from rollercams; they
>gave me a fork and headset when they went from 1" to 1-1/4"; and they
>gave me a fork, headset, stem, and seatpost when they changed the
>touring bike to 1-1/8" with a sloping top tube.
>
>I really can't say enough good things about Cannondale's customer
>support.
>
>Chalo Colina

Cool. I love happy endings.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
Chalo ([email protected]) wrote:
> Zoot Katz wrote:

> <snip>

> > I'm curious how they handled Chalo's frame with the buckled downtube.
> > Considering he was injured when it failed, this story leaves me
> > hopeful that they did the right thing in that instance too.
> >
> > Chalo: Any update on the outcome of that debacle?

> Just as they had done before, Cannondale came through with a
> replacement frame under warranty. The one I buckled was in fact a
> recent replacement (also under warranty) for an old frame that cracked
> at the seat post binder.
>
> I have now had four Cannondale frames replaced under warranty, and a
> couple more under their reduced price crash replacement program. (I
> lost count of how many forks they replaced for me.) That's on only
> four bikes I ever bought new from them, and two of those never needed
> replacement.
>
> Whenever they had implemented a design change that meant I'd have to
> replace parts, the warranty frames came with all the necessary parts!
> They gave me cantilever brakes when they switched from rollercams; they
> gave me a fork and headset when they went from 1" to 1-1/4"; and they
> gave me a fork, headset, stem, and seatpost when they changed the
> touring bike to 1-1/8" with a sloping top tube.
>
> I really can't say enough good things about Cannondale's customer
> support.

Call me old-fashioned, but if I had suffered half that number of
failures from a single manufacturer, I would be changing my shopping
habits...

My only hope in life is to die before I get my comeuppence.

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Zoot Katz wrote:

> <snip>

>> I'm curious how they handled Chalo's frame with the buckled
>> downtube. Considering he was injured when it failed, this story
>> leaves me hopeful that they did the right thing in that instance
>> too.
>>
>> Chalo: Any update on the outcome of that debacle?

> Just as they had done before, Cannondale came through with a
> replacement frame under warranty. The one I buckled was in fact a
> recent replacement (also under warranty) for an old frame that
> cracked at the seat post binder.
>
> I have now had four Cannondale frames replaced under warranty, and
> a couple more under their reduced price crash replacement program.
> (I lost count of how many forks they replaced for me.) That's on
> only four bikes I ever bought new from them, and two of those never
> needed replacement.
>
> Whenever they had implemented a design change that meant I'd have
> to replace parts, the warranty frames came with all the necessary
> parts! They gave me cantilever brakes when they switched from
> rollercams; they gave me a fork and headset when they went from 1"
> to 1-1/4"; and they gave me a fork, headset, stem, and seatpost
> when they changed the touring bike to 1-1/8" with a sloping top
> tube.
>
> I really can't say enough good things about Cannondale's customer
> support.
>
> Chalo Colina

I missed your story, Chalo - haven't been on rbm every day.

You personally broke 4 Cannondale frames? What's going on there? Are you
beating the hell out of them, or does this say something about
Cannondale's Quality Control??? Four cracked frames sounds like an
excessive amount for one person!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
But rather, it’s to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

Eric Babula wrote:

> I missed your story, Chalo - haven't been on rbm every day.
>
> You personally broke 4 Cannondale frames? What's going on there? Are you
> beating the hell out of them, or does this say something about
> Cannondale's Quality Control??? Four cracked frames sounds like an
> excessive amount for one person!

Excessive? Perhaps not, if the rider is on the larger side. I know a guy
, not overweight, just a big guy, that has cracked at least 2 frames,
right where the down tube meets the headtube. And it was a "quality"
frame from Trek.

Ken
--

Ken M wrote:
> Eric Babula wrote:
>
>> I missed your story, Chalo - haven't been on rbm every day.
>>
>> You personally broke 4 Cannondale frames? What's going on there? Are
>> you beating the hell out of them, or does this say something about
>> Cannondale's Quality Control??? Four cracked frames sounds like an
>> excessive amount for one person!
>>

> Excessive? Perhaps not, if the rider is on the larger side. I know a guy
> , not overweight, just a big guy, that has cracked at least 2 frames,
> right where the down tube meets the headtube. And it was a "quality"
> frame from Trek.

Perhaps more judicious selection of frame material? I doubt that the
guys who weld beer cans together and put wheels on 'em envision their
frames being ridden by Clydesdales. (Not more than one bumpy ride, anyway.)

(Obligatory STEEL BIGOT disclaimer here.)

Don wrote:
> Ken M wrote:
>
>> Eric Babula wrote:
>>
>>> I missed your story, Chalo - haven't been on rbm every day.
>>>
>>> You personally broke 4 Cannondale frames? What's going on there? Are
>>> you beating the hell out of them, or does this say something about
>>> Cannondale's Quality Control??? Four cracked frames sounds like an
>>> excessive amount for one person!
>>>

>> Excessive? Perhaps not, if the rider is on the larger side. I know a
>> guy , not overweight, just a big guy, that has cracked at least 2
>> frames, right where the down tube meets the headtube. And it was a
>> "quality" frame from Trek.

> Perhaps more judicious selection of frame material? I doubt that the
> guys who weld beer cans together and put wheels on 'em envision their
> frames being ridden by Clydesdales. (Not more than one bumpy ride,
> anyway.)
>
> (Obligatory STEEL BIGOT disclaimer here.)

I guess they do envision them ridden by "clydesdales", why else would
they make such large-sized frames? Both Chalo & I ride 68cm Cannondale
frames (I'm 6'10"). Aluminum is the best material for such large frames
since it allows large diameter tubes which reduce frame flex, making the
bikes much more stable at high speed (among other advantages).

FWIW, my 8 year old Cannondale (primary bike) has 10K's of miles while
I've broken 2 steel frames. I regularly switch between steel & aluminum
bikes (same wheels, tires, etc.) and I can't discern any difference in
ride quality except for the better stability of the Cannondale.

Chalo is very large and very strong. 6' 9" and between 360 and 400 lbs.
So the "excessive amount for one person" is ...his person. I'm "only"
5' 7", 240, but Cannondale looks good for when I step up to a modern
road bike.

In an earlier post, Chalo postulated:
> Zoot Katz wrote:

><snip>

>> I'm curious how they handled Chalo's frame with the buckled downtube.
>> Considering he was injured when it failed, this story leaves me
>> hopeful that they did the right thing in that instance too.
>>
>> Chalo: Any update on the outcome of that debacle?

> Just as they had done before, Cannondale came through with a
> replacement frame under warranty. The one I buckled was in fact a
> recent replacement (also under warranty) for an old frame that cracked
> at the seat post binder.
>
> I have now had four Cannondale frames replaced under warranty, and a
> couple more under their reduced price crash replacement program. (I
> lost count of how many forks they replaced for me.) That's on only
> four bikes I ever bought new from them, and two of those never needed
> replacement.
>
> Whenever they had implemented a design change that meant I'd have to
> replace parts, the warranty frames came with all the necessary parts!
> They gave me cantilever brakes when they switched from rollercams; they
> gave me a fork and headset when they went from 1" to 1-1/4"; and they
> gave me a fork, headset, stem, and seatpost when they changed the
> touring bike to 1-1/8" with a sloping top tube.
>
> I really can't say enough good things about Cannondale's customer
> support.

I'm not surprised : it seems you've been bleeding them for years :)

--
"I don't see any naked native girls hungry for affection" - Pete Lorre.
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

Eric Babula wrote:

> I missed your story, Chalo - haven't been on rbm every day.
>
> You personally broke 4 Cannondale frames? What's going on there? Are
> you beating the hell out of them, or does this say something about
> Cannondale's Quality Control??? Four cracked frames sounds like an
> excessive amount for one person!

Chalo's girth is nearly as large as his hatred of all things American.

Ironic, eh?

N&F

Don wrote:

> Perhaps more judicious selection of frame material? I doubt that the
> guys who weld beer cans together and put wheels on 'em envision their
> frames being ridden by Clydesdales. (Not more than one bumpy ride, anyway.)
>
> (Obligatory STEEL BIGOT disclaimer here.)

It's worth noting that one lugged steel frame of mine failed the first
time I gave a hard pull on the front brakes-- the first time I rode it.
The top tube and down tubes bent near the head tube, and the paint
cracked in little asterisks emanating from the points of the lugs.

Chalo

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Call me old-fashioned, but if I had suffered half that number of
> failures from a single manufacturer, I would be changing my shopping
> habits...

I have racked up between 60,000 and 70,000 miles on my Cannondales.
I've had other bikes that failed in as little as a single ride.

Of the four failures that were warranteed by Cannondale, two were
fatigue cracks at the seat tube/seat stay joint. One was a cracked
weld at the seat binder-- not a structural failure and not primarily
due to riding loads. The last one that Zoot asked about was the only
failure of any special concern to me, and it occurred while I was doing
a maximum braking test.

I don't expect that I could have had substantially better results from
any other major manufacturer's frames. It's possible, but my
experience with other bikes has not borne that out. I have a
custom-made bike now, but I still ride my Cannondales too. Dividing my
mileage among 5 relatively normal bikes and something like a dozen art
bikes seems to cut down substantially on the wear and tear.

Chalo Colina

I'm fascinated by all the reports of frame failures. Especially when
not directly resulting from a crash. FWIW I have never had a frame
fail. My frames over the years and apprx. mileage each.

Schwinn Varsity (giving away my age) ~20 K

Bottechia 1 (Steel) ~20 K

Bottechia 2 (Steel) ~20k

Litespeed (Ti) ~40K

Pinarello (Full Carbon) ~ 2K

gds wrote:
> I'm fascinated by all the reports of frame failures. Especially when
> not directly resulting from a crash. FWIW I have never had a frame
> fail. My frames over the years and apprx. mileage each.
>
> Schwinn Varsity (giving away my age) ~20 K
>
> Bottechia 1 (Steel) ~20 K
>
> Bottechia 2 (Steel) ~20k
>
> Litespeed (Ti) ~40K
>
> Pinarello (Full Carbon) ~ 2K

Some impressive miles!
Ken
--

Ken M wrote:
> gds wrote:
> > >

> Some impressive miles!
> Ken
> --

Nah! I'm just old.

Nuck 'n Futz wrote:

> Chalo's girth is nearly as large as his hatred of all things American.

So to Nuck 'n Futz,

[murder, torture, lies, malfeasance of office] = [all things]

That's an interesting world view you got there, Nuckerfutzer.

Happy Kwanzaa,

Chalo

Chalo wrote:
> Nuck 'n Futz wrote (note context removed):

>> Chalo's girth is nearly as large as his hatred of all things
>> American.

> So to Nuck 'n Futz,
>
> [murder, torture, lies, malfeasance of office] = [all things]

You expressed hatred for the U.S. /long/ before any of those [unproven]
issues arose.

I've read your smarmy, hate-filled ****, Humongoid.

> Happy Kwanzaa

Good godless garbage-grubbing to you, too.

N&F