Satisfaction from Cannondale

gds <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm fascinated by all the reports of frame failures. Especially when
> not directly resulting from a crash. FWIW I have never had a frame
> fail. My frames over the years and apprx. mileage each.
>
> Schwinn Varsity (giving away my age) ~20 K
>
> Bottechia 1 (Steel) ~20 K
>
> Bottechia 2 (Steel) ~20k
>
> Litespeed (Ti) ~40K
>
> Pinarello (Full Carbon) ~ 2K

Hmm, I've broken 3 frames in 4 1/2 years. My list looks like:

Giant OCR2 - 11000 miles - Car accident (probably shouldn't count)
Surly Crosscheck - 13000 miles - dropout failed
Velosolex "Grand Touring" - 1500 miles - seat tube broke near BB [1]

Thankfully, I received a warranty replacement for the Surly, so I
didn't have to buy a new one. It's not like I'm base jumping with
these or anything. While I'm a little bigger than average, I'm
not in any competition with Chalo or Peter.

[1] I have pictures for this, and will have time to post a thread
soon. Honest.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"veni, vedi, nuclei deceiri - I came, I saw, I core dumped"

Dane Buson wrote:
> Hmm, I've broken 3 frames in 4 1/2 years. My list looks like:
>
> Giant OCR2 - 11000 miles - Car accident (probably shouldn't count)
> Surly Crosscheck - 13000 miles - dropout failed
> Velosolex "Grand Touring" - 1500 miles - seat tube broke near BB [1]
>
> Thankfully, I received a warranty replacement for the Surly, so I
> didn't have to buy a new one. It's not like I'm base jumping with
> these or anything. While I'm a little bigger than average, I'm
> not in any competition with Chalo or Peter.
>
> [1] I have pictures for this, and will have time to post a thread
> soon. Honest.

Oh I believe you and everyone else. I just have had very different
experience. I am not a lightweight but for some reason I must not be
hard on my bikes-or more likely I can just be lucky. I see damaged
frames all the time in the bike shop, but they always tell me the
damage was the result of a crash.

[email protected] (Don) wrote:
> Ken M wrote:
> > Eric Babula wrote:
> >> You personally broke 4 Cannondale frames? What's going on there? Are
> >> you beating the hell out of them, or does this say something about
> >> Cannondale's Quality Control??? Four cracked frames sounds like an
> >> excessive amount for one person!

> > Excessive? Perhaps not, if the rider is on the larger side. I know a guy
> > , not overweight, just a big guy, that has cracked at least 2 frames,
> > right where the down tube meets the headtube. And it was a "quality"
> > frame from Trek.

> Perhaps more judicious selection of frame material? I doubt that the
> guys who weld beer cans together and put wheels on 'em envision their
> frames being ridden by Clydesdales. (Not more than one bumpy ride, anyway.)
>
> (Obligatory STEEL BIGOT disclaimer here.)

Hee. :)

I'm 182cm and as an adult have ranged from about 77kg to about 107kg.
Right now I'm just under 100kg (and while I wish I could blame the
downward trend on biking, it's likely more the fault of spending a
lot of long days and short nights "overseas" the last couple years.
I can remember riding low-grade steel - and flexing it with every pedal
stroke.

I grew up in the country, took my '88 SR500 off-road more than
a few times, bunny-hopped bridge expansion joints, yadda. About all
I ever broke on it was an axle (I didn't even realize it had cracked)
and some spokes. Rode it 'til it came out on the losing end of a
run-in with an Olds.

Came to, got schlepped off to the trauma center and CAT scanned
(didn't find anything in my skull), walked out with scrapes and
bruises (and a helmet shattered into 12 pieces), went to the LBS
the next day and bought a '98 XR800 that I use for... well...
everything. I've done solo road rides of 100km+; I've done dirt,
I've done rocks... haven't busted that one yet.

-D

--
http://ChocoLocate.com/ - The Chocolate Lovers' Page, established 1994.