SatRday- Toronto region owners?

Moosebear

Sep 3, 2003
I'm seriously considering buying a Bike Friday SatRday. Does anyone know of one in the greater Toronto region? (Or Montreal, or upper New York state?)

I sure would love to try one out before ordering.

Such a tough desicion, especially when I could get one heck of a touring machine for that dough! Or fulfill my highracer fantasies! Or... buy a ticket around the world! Gulp!

Best,

Moosebear (AKA Vincent de Tourdonnet)

>Moosebear at [email protected] wrote on 2/5/04 3:50 PM:

> I'm seriously considering buying a Bike Friday SatRday. Does anyone
know of
> one in the greater Toronto region? (Or Montreal, or upper New
York state?)

I
> sure would love to try one out before ordering.

Such a tough desicion,
> especially when I could get one heck of a touring
machine for that dough! Or
> fulfill my highracer fantasies! Or... buy a
ticket around the world!
> Gulp!

Best,

Moosebear (AKA Vincent de Tourdonnet)

There are various ways to reach recumbent people in southern Ontario. You may also consider
Recumbent Cycling Ontario ( website and email list), HPVBuilders (list on yahoo groups), Human
Powered Vehicle Operators, and Bentrideronline.

I will be at a southwestern Ontario recumbent event this Saturday in Brantford and will ask around
about a Bike Friday SatRday.

I'm in the process of considering a DoubleDay by BF. I have a Longbikes' Vanguard (Ryan design) with
BTCs but even then it is too cumbersome to fly conveniently.

I will miss my hydraulic disk brakes.

"Moosebear" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| I'm seriously considering buying a Bike Friday SatRday. Does anyone know of one in the greater
| Toronto region? (Or Montreal, or upper New York state?)
|
| I sure would love to try one out before ordering.
|
| Such a tough desicion, especially when I could get one heck of a touring machine for that dough!
| Or fulfill my highracer fantasies! Or... buy a ticket around the world! Gulp!
|
| Best,
|
| Moosebear (AKA Vincent de Tourdonnet)
|
|
|
| --
|
|

Originally posted by Jay
>Moosebear at [email protected] wrote on 2/5/04 3:50 PM:

I will be at a southwestern Ontario recumbent event this Saturday in Brantford and will ask around
about a Bike Friday SatRday.

Thank you, Jay. I'll try posting there. I thought about taking the GO train to Hamilton with my BikeE, then biking out to Brantford for that Ice racing bent event, but with the current conditions I fear that one of those customized ICE bikes would be the only safe way to go!

Enjoy the event, V.

Moosebear, if you tried to play ice polo on a skating rink driving a BikeE with one hand you'd
end up on America's Funniest Home Videos. CLWBs and ice rink should not be mentioned in the
same sentence.

BTW is your interest in the Sat R Day purely for the suitcase option? There is another folding bent
available in Montreal that folds for easy transport and the learning curve between a BikeE and this
(almost a real bent) would be zero.

Joshua (Toronto)
> Jay wrote:
> > >Moosebear at [email protected] wrote on 2/5/04 3:50 PM:
> > I will be at a southwestern Ontario recumbent event this Saturday in Brantford and will ask
> > around about a Bike Friday SatRday.
>
>
>
> Thank you, Jay. I'll try posting there. I thought about taking the GO train to Hamilton with my
> BikeE, then biking out to Brantford for that Ice racing bent event, but with the current
> conditions I fear that one of those customized ICE bikes would be the only safe way to go!
>
> Enjoy the event, V.
>
>
>
> --

Originally posted by Evsolutions
BTW is your interest in the Sat R Day purely for the suitcase option? There is another folding bent
available in Montreal that folds for easy transport and the learning curve between a BikeE and this
(almost a real bent) would be zero.

Joshua (Toronto)

> --

Thanks, Joshua, I am not uniquely interested in the suitcase option. In fact, I think for my purposes I would more often use the semi-fold option that the SatRday also provides...

Praytell, what company in Montreal offers this folding bent which you mention?

Moosebear <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm seriously considering buying a Bike Friday SatRday. Does anyone know of one in the greater
> Toronto region? (Or Montreal, or upper New York state?)
>
> I sure would love to try one out before ordering.
>
> Such a tough desicion, especially when I could get one heck of a touring machine for that dough!
> Or fulfill my highracer fantasies! Or... buy a ticket around the world! Gulp!
>
> Best,
>
> Moosebear (AKA Vincent de Tourdonnet)

Moose,

Go to the www.bikefriday.com website and write to Hanz or one of the sales people. Ask them to have
a SRD owner in that area contact you. Might work.

I'll post to the YAK list for you and see if anyone answers.

I do own a SAT R DAY and all I can tell you is that I love riding it as much as my V-REX. For sure
with the 16" wheels you feel the road a bit more, but it's just flat out fun. Every now and then I
can "motor" a bit and it's fun to jump on to an upright pace line and be tool'n along at 20 mph on
those little wheels and then you get "Wow...that little thing can move" comments. Of course that's
sucking wheel and not pulling!! :eek:) Slow Joe

I'll post to the YAK list for you and see if anyone answers.

I do own a SAT R DAY and all I can tell you is that I love riding it as much as my V-REX. For sure
with the 16" wheels you feel the road a bit more, but it's just flat out fun. Every now and then I
can "motor" a bit and it's fun to jump on to an upright pace line and be tool'n along at 20 mph on
those little wheels and then you get "Wow...that little thing can move" comments. Of course that's
sucking wheel and not pulling!! :eek:) Slow Joe [/B]

Thanks, Joe, it's really quite remarkable how positive people like yourself seem about the ride they get on their Satrday... I actually want to use it as my daily commuter as well, to replace my BikeE. I get the feeling it will be considerably zippier. Hearing you compare it favourably to a Vrex is great.

How quickly do you find you can do the sort of semi-fold option? I'm wondering about that.

I'm nervous about the $4000 Canadian it will cost me if I go for it... but I guess as a SatrDay owner, with Bus, train and plane and SatRday, one has more mobility than most people dream of, and with lots more fun!

Thanks for your post.

Best, Moosebear

I can't remember the name of the Montreal bike, but if it is the one I am thinking of, it isn't
really a recumbent.

FWIW I had a Rans Wave that had a hinge in the frame installed by Jim Best. I didn't get any local
takers on when I listed it for sale, so I ended up trading it in on a Rocket (wanted to try SWB). It
is now at Urbane Cyclist in downtown TO. It is not the folder the Sat R Day is, but for the
$difference, you might want to take a look. The frame and wheels _will_ go into a large suitcase.
You have to remove the wheels, fold it, lay it in the case, remove the bars and lay them on top, and
remove the rear deralleur (wouldn't quite fit!). Seat would go in a duffle. I still have a couple of
these suitcases (one damaged by UPS ). You could have those for free.

The hinge is held together by screws. Not the fastest, but very secure.

The bike came with a 16" front wheel, but I upgraded it to 20". I gave Urbane both, inlcuding the
fork for the 16".

johnriley1 (at) rogers(dot) come

Moosebear, have you checked with Bikefriday lately, I was under the impression they are not building
the saturday's at this time. I could be wrong. Also, have seen two great deals on them on e-bay.
Also have you considered the HPM Phaser? I had the RCN test bike, it was very nice. The USS and seat
where top notch, and bike was quick. Also, Calhoun cycle has done some RANS rockets with SS
couplers, they have one on their used bike section I believe under the "previous bikes we've sold"
if not there, Check with Mark Stoinich they may have it on their site. You could bike up a used
rocket and do the SS couplers and still be way under a grand!

Moosebear wrote:
> wrote:
> > I'll post to the YAK list for you and see if anyone answers. I do own a SAT R DAY and all I
> > can tell you is that I love riding it as much as my V-REX. For sure with the 16" wheels you
> > feel the road a bit more, but it's just flat out fun. Every now and then I can "motor" a bit
> > and it's fun to jump on to an upright pace line and be tool'n along at 20 mph on those little
> > wheels and then you get "Wow...that little thing can move" comments. Of course that's sucking
> > wheel and not pulling!! :eek:) Slow Joe
>
>
>
> Thanks, Joe, it's really quite remarkable how positive people like yourself seem about the ride
> they get on their Satrday... I actually want to use it as my daily commuter as well, to replace my
> BikeE. I get the feeling it will be considerably zippier. Hearing you compare it favourably to a
> Vrex is great.
>
> How quickly do you find you can do the sort of semi-fold option? I'm wondering about that.
>
> I'm nervous about the $4000 Canadian it will cost me if I go for it... but I guess as a SatrDay
> owner, with Bus, train and plane and SatRday, one has more mobility than most people dream of, and
> with lots more fun!
>
> Thanks for your post.
>
> Best, Moosebear
>
>
>
> --

Hi John

You are correct, it is not a true bent, but it does fold and is under $800.00 CAD and could be
modified easily into something better. Belize Bicycles of Canada and the bike is called the Easy
Ryder or something like that. If you look back a few months (maybe November) Marci (the one who
collects bents) was in Montreal and took it for a test ride and said she loved it/I saw one in
Toronto in September and thought it was pretty nice compared to the EVOX 140 semi-bents.

Speaking of EVOX, have you noticed Quetzal Recumbents is no more. All their USS bents have been
cancelled and MIKADO kept 2 Quetzal Semi-Bents...one is a 24 spd Aluminum and for a Semi-Bent it
looks very refined...now if only they could slap on a CF cobra seat//

Joshua
"john riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I can't remember the name of the Montreal bike, but if it is the one I am thinking of, it isn't
> really a recumbent.
>
> FWIW I had a Rans Wave that had a hinge in the frame installed by Jim Best. I didn't get any local
> takers on when I listed it for sale, so I ended up trading it in on a Rocket (wanted to try SWB).
> It is now at Urbane Cyclist in downtown TO. It is not the folder the Sat R Day is, but for the
> $difference, you might want to take a look. The frame and wheels _will_ go into a large suitcase.
> You have to remove the wheels, fold it, lay it in the case, remove the bars and lay them on top,
> and remove the rear deralleur (wouldn't quite fit!). Seat would go in a duffle. I still have a
> couple of these suitcases (one damaged by UPS ). You could have those for free.
>
> The hinge is held together by screws. Not the fastest, but very secure.
>
> The bike came with a 16" front wheel, but I upgraded it to 20". I gave Urbane both, inlcuding the
> fork for the 16".
>
> johnriley1 (at) rogers(dot) come

Hi John

Joshua
> I can't remember the name of the Montreal bike, but if it is the one I am thinking of, it isn't
> really a recumbent.
>
> johnriley1 (at) rogers(dot) come

Here is the Belize...

http://www.aibq.com/belize/indexen.html

It's actually under $500 Can, which is way cheap.

And yes, Bentbiker, Bike Friday must still be doing the SatRday, they just quoted me the other day. Nearly $3000 US with the suitcase, trailer and a few options.

I choke, but then I think of how much I save by living car-free, and how great it would be to hop on trains or bus's with my trusty mount!

Speaking of EVOX, have you noticed Quetzal Recumbents is no more. All their USS bents have been
cancelled and MIKADO kept 2 Quetzal Semi-Bents...one is a 24 spd Aluminum and for a Semi-Bent it
looks very refined...now if only they could slap on a CF cobra seat//

The USS Quetzal may be gone, but it is an idea that won't die in QC:

http://docvelo.port5.com/bilee.html

The (almost a real bent) is called the Easy Ryder via Belize Bicycles of Canada. It is $799.00 CAD
or something near that. I have seen one in Toronto, but I have not seen the website in 3-4 months
and so my $799.00 might be a bit off (might be wishfull thinking). It should be easy to upgrade the
semi-bent for better street performance.

Joshua
> Evsolutions wrote:
> > BTW is your interest in the Sat R Day purely for the suitcase option? There is another folding
> > bent available in Montreal that folds for
easy
> > transport and the learning curve between a BikeE and this (almost a
real
> > bent) would be zero. Joshua (Toronto)
> > *****
> > > --
>
>
>
> Thanks, Joshua, I am not uniquely interested in the suitcase option. In fact, I think for my
> purposes I would more often use the semi-fold option that the SatRday also provides...
>
> Praytell, what company in Montreal offers this folding bent which you mention?
>
>
>
> --

Also, FWIW many bikes, including the Rocket and Tailwind, could be fitted with S&S couplers. Calhoun
Cycle and Angletech both offer the service on a Rocket. The bike, pobably excluding the seat, would
fit in a suitcase.

John Riley

good to hear they are still making them, i based that on an e-mail I recieved from them awhile back.
What about the SS coupler rocket?

Moosebear wrote:

> Evsolutions wrote:
> > Hi John Joshua
> > > I can't remember the name of the Montreal bike, but if it is the one I am thinking of, it
> > > isn't really a recumbent.
> > >
> > > johnriley1 (at) rogers(dot) come
>
>
>
> Here is the Belize...
>
> http://www.aibq.com/belize/indexen.html
>
> It's actually under $500 Can, which is way cheap.
>
> And yes, Bentbiker, Bike Friday must still be doing the SatRday, they just quoted me the other
> day. Nearly $3000 US with the suitcase, trailer and a few options.
>
> I choke, but then I think of how much I save by living car-free, and how great it would be to hop
> on trains or bus's with my trusty mount!
>
>
>
> --

bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Moosebear, have you checked with Bikefriday lately, I was under the impression they are not
> building the saturday's at this time. I could be wrong. Also, have seen two great deals on them on
> e-bay. Also have you considered the HPM Phaser? I had the RCN test bike, it was very nice. The USS
> and seat where top notch, and bike was quick. Also, Calhoun cycle has done some RANS rockets with
> SS couplers, they have one on their used bike section I believe under the "previous bikes we've
> sold" if not there, Check with Mark Stoinich they may have it on their site. You could bike up a
> used rocket and do the SS couplers and still be way under a grand!
>
> Moosebear wrote:
> > wrote:
> > > I'll post to the YAK list for you and see if anyone answers. I do own a SAT R DAY and all I
> > > can tell you is that I love riding it as much as my V-REX. For sure with the 16" wheels you
> > > feel the road a bit more, but it's just flat out fun. Every now and then I can "motor" a bit
> > > and it's fun to jump on to an upright pace line and be tool'n along at 20 mph on those
> > > little wheels and then you get "Wow...that little thing can move" comments. Of course that's
> > > sucking wheel and not pulling!! :eek:) Slow Joe
> >
> >
> >
> > Thanks, Joe, it's really quite remarkable how positive people like yourself seem about the ride
> > they get on their Satrday... I actually want to use it as my daily commuter as well, to replace
> > my BikeE. I get the feeling it will be considerably zippier. Hearing you compare it favourably
> > to a Vrex is great.
> >
> > How quickly do you find you can do the sort of semi-fold option? I'm wondering about that.
> >
> > I'm nervous about the $4000 Canadian it will cost me if I go for it... but I guess as a SatrDay
> > owner, with Bus, train and plane and SatRday, one has more mobility than most people dream of,
> > and with lots more fun!
> >
> > Thanks for your post.
> >
> > Best, Moosebear

Moose and Bentrider:

The SAT R DAY is still made by Bike Friday. They had to increase the price and it was off their
website for awhile. They still make 'em and sell 'em.

Moose, you can also look around for a "used" SAT R DAY. Again, I'll post to the YAK group. I didn't
get any responses from whoever reads the list. You may want to contact Bike Friday directly by email
and ask them to have a SAT R DAY owner in the area contact you.

As far as folding, the SAT R DAY folds in very little time if you're mechanically inclinded. The
most time is taking off the seat if you want to put it in the carry bag.

Packing it now only takes me about 20 to 30 minutes or so. The video says it can take an hour to
pack and unpack. I didn't find it that long even the first time.

Write to me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Good luck. I don't think you can go wrong. Like I said, I find this bike both sprightly, fun and
comfortable on most roads. If you have "wash board" roads up there, you will feel it much more than
a typical recumbent.

Cheers

Joe