SatRday- Toronto region owners?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Moosebear, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Moosebear

    Moosebear New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    I'm seriously considering buying a Bike Friday SatRday. Does anyone know of one in the greater Toronto region? (Or Montreal, or upper New York state?)

    I sure would love to try one out before ordering.

    Such a tough desicion, especially when I could get one heck of a touring machine for that dough! Or fulfill my highracer fantasies! Or... buy a ticket around the world! Gulp!

    Best,

    Moosebear (AKA Vincent de Tourdonnet)

    Tags:

  2. Jay

    Jay Guest

    >Moosebear at [email protected] wrote on 2/5/04 3:50 PM:

    > I'm seriously considering buying a Bike Friday SatRday. Does anyone
    know of
    > one in the greater Toronto region? (Or Montreal, or upper New
    York state?)

    > sure would love to try one out before ordering.

    Such a tough desicion,
    > especially when I could get one heck of a touring
    machine for that dough! Or
    > fulfill my highracer fantasies! Or... buy a
    ticket around the world!
    > Gulp!

    Best,

    Moosebear (AKA Vincent de Tourdonnet)

    There are various ways to reach recumbent people in southern Ontario. You may also consider
    Recumbent Cycling Ontario ( website and email list), HPVBuilders (list on yahoo groups), Human
    Powered Vehicle Operators, and Bentrideronline.

    I will be at a southwestern Ontario recumbent event this Saturday in Brantford and will ask around
    about a Bike Friday SatRday.

  3. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I'm in the process of considering a DoubleDay by BF. I have a Longbikes' Vanguard (Ryan design) with
    BTCs but even then it is too cumbersome to fly conveniently.

    I will miss my hydraulic disk brakes.

    "Moosebear" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | I'm seriously considering buying a Bike Friday SatRday. Does anyone know of one in the greater
    | Toronto region? (Or Montreal, or upper New York state?)
    |
    | I sure would love to try one out before ordering.
    |
    | Such a tough desicion, especially when I could get one heck of a touring machine for that dough!
    | Or fulfill my highracer fantasies! Or... buy a ticket around the world! Gulp!
    |
    | Best,
    |
    | Moosebear (AKA Vincent de Tourdonnet)
    |

    | --

  4. Moosebear

    Moosebear New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    Thank you, Jay. I'll try posting there. I thought about taking the GO train to Hamilton with my BikeE, then biking out to Brantford for that Ice racing bent event, but with the current conditions I fear that one of those customized ICE bikes would be the only safe way to go!

    Enjoy the event, V.

  5. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    Moosebear, if you tried to play ice polo on a skating rink driving a BikeE with one hand you'd
    end up on America's Funniest Home Videos. CLWBs and ice rink should not be mentioned in the
    same sentence.

    BTW is your interest in the Sat R Day purely for the suitcase option? There is another folding bent
    available in Montreal that folds for easy transport and the learning curve between a BikeE and this
    (almost a real bent) would be zero.

    Joshua (Toronto)
    *****
    "Moosebear" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jay wrote:
    > > >Moosebear at [email protected] wrote on 2/5/04 3:50 PM:
    > > I will be at a southwestern Ontario recumbent event this Saturday in Brantford and will ask
    > > around about a Bike Friday SatRday.
    >

    > Thank you, Jay. I'll try posting there. I thought about taking the GO train to Hamilton with my
    > BikeE, then biking out to Brantford for that Ice racing bent event, but with the current
    > conditions I fear that one of those customized ICE bikes would be the only safe way to go!
    >
    > Enjoy the event, V.
    >

    > --

  6. Moosebear

    Moosebear New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    Thanks, Joshua, I am not uniquely interested in the suitcase option. In fact, I think for my purposes I would more often use the semi-fold option that the SatRday also provides...

    Praytell, what company in Montreal offers this folding bent which you mention?

  7. Joe Keenan

    Joe Keenan Guest

    Moosebear <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm seriously considering buying a Bike Friday SatRday. Does anyone know of one in the greater
    > Toronto region? (Or Montreal, or upper New York state?)
    >
    > I sure would love to try one out before ordering.
    >
    > Such a tough desicion, especially when I could get one heck of a touring machine for that dough!
    > Or fulfill my highracer fantasies! Or... buy a ticket around the world! Gulp!
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Moosebear (AKA Vincent de Tourdonnet)

    Moose,

    Go to the www.bikefriday.com website and write to Hanz or one of the sales people. Ask them to have
    a SRD owner in that area contact you. Might work.

    I'll post to the YAK list for you and see if anyone answers.

    I do own a SAT R DAY and all I can tell you is that I love riding it as much as my V-REX. For sure
    with the 16" wheels you feel the road a bit more, but it's just flat out fun. Every now and then I
    can "motor" a bit and it's fun to jump on to an upright pace line and be tool'n along at 20 mph on
    those little wheels and then you get "Wow...that little thing can move" comments. Of course that's
    sucking wheel and not pulling!! :eek:) Slow Joe

  8. Moosebear

    Moosebear New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003

    Thanks, Joe, it's really quite remarkable how positive people like yourself seem about the ride they get on their Satrday... I actually want to use it as my daily commuter as well, to replace my BikeE. I get the feeling it will be considerably zippier. Hearing you compare it favourably to a Vrex is great.

    How quickly do you find you can do the sort of semi-fold option? I'm wondering about that.

    I'm nervous about the $4000 Canadian it will cost me if I go for it... but I guess as a SatrDay owner, with Bus, train and plane and SatRday, one has more mobility than most people dream of, and with lots more fun!

    Thanks for your post.

    Best, Moosebear

  9. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    I can't remember the name of the Montreal bike, but if it is the one I am thinking of, it isn't
    really a recumbent.

    FWIW I had a Rans Wave that had a hinge in the frame installed by Jim Best. I didn't get any local
    takers on when I listed it for sale, so I ended up trading it in on a Rocket (wanted to try SWB). It
    is now at Urbane Cyclist in downtown TO. It is not the folder the Sat R Day is, but for the
    $difference, you might want to take a look. The frame and wheels _will_ go into a large suitcase.
    You have to remove the wheels, fold it, lay it in the case, remove the bars and lay them on top, and
    remove the rear deralleur (wouldn't quite fit!). Seat would go in a duffle. I still have a couple of
    these suitcases (one damaged by UPS ). You could have those for free.

    The hinge is held together by screws. Not the fastest, but very secure.

    The bike came with a 16" front wheel, but I upgraded it to 20". I gave Urbane both, inlcuding the
    fork for the 16".

    johnriley1 (at) rogers(dot) come

  10. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    Moosebear, have you checked with Bikefriday lately, I was under the impression they are not building
    the saturday's at this time. I could be wrong. Also, have seen two great deals on them on e-bay.
    Also have you considered the HPM Phaser? I had the RCN test bike, it was very nice. The USS and seat
    where top notch, and bike was quick. Also, Calhoun cycle has done some RANS rockets with SS
    couplers, they have one on their used bike section I believe under the "previous bikes we've sold"
    if not there, Check with Mark Stoinich they may have it on their site. You could bike up a used
    rocket and do the SS couplers and still be way under a grand!

    Moosebear wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I'll post to the YAK list for you and see if anyone answers. I do own a SAT R DAY and all I
    > > can tell you is that I love riding it as much as my V-REX. For sure with the 16" wheels you
    > > feel the road a bit more, but it's just flat out fun. Every now and then I can "motor" a bit
    > > and it's fun to jump on to an upright pace line and be tool'n along at 20 mph on those little
    > > wheels and then you get "Wow...that little thing can move" comments. Of course that's sucking
    > > wheel and not pulling!! :eek:) Slow Joe
    >

    > Thanks, Joe, it's really quite remarkable how positive people like yourself seem about the ride
    > they get on their Satrday... I actually want to use it as my daily commuter as well, to replace my
    > BikeE. I get the feeling it will be considerably zippier. Hearing you compare it favourably to a
    > Vrex is great.
    >
    > How quickly do you find you can do the sort of semi-fold option? I'm wondering about that.
    >
    > I'm nervous about the $4000 Canadian it will cost me if I go for it... but I guess as a SatrDay
    > owner, with Bus, train and plane and SatRday, one has more mobility than most people dream of, and
    > with lots more fun!
    >
    > Thanks for your post.
    >
    > Best, Moosebear
    >

    > --

  11. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    Hi John

    You are correct, it is not a true bent, but it does fold and is under $800.00 CAD and could be
    modified easily into something better. Belize Bicycles of Canada and the bike is called the Easy
    Ryder or something like that. If you look back a few months (maybe November) Marci (the one who
    collects bents) was in Montreal and took it for a test ride and said she loved it/I saw one in
    Toronto in September and thought it was pretty nice compared to the EVOX 140 semi-bents.

    Speaking of EVOX, have you noticed Quetzal Recumbents is no more. All their USS bents have been
    cancelled and MIKADO kept 2 Quetzal Semi-Bents...one is a 24 spd Aluminum and for a Semi-Bent it
    looks very refined...now if only they could slap on a CF cobra seat//

    Joshua
    *****
    "john riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I can't remember the name of the Montreal bike, but if it is the one I am thinking of, it isn't
    > really a recumbent.
    >
    > FWIW I had a Rans Wave that had a hinge in the frame installed by Jim Best. I didn't get any local
    > takers on when I listed it for sale, so I ended up trading it in on a Rocket (wanted to try SWB).
    > It is now at Urbane Cyclist in downtown TO. It is not the folder the Sat R Day is, but for the
    > $difference, you might want to take a look. The frame and wheels _will_ go into a large suitcase.
    > You have to remove the wheels, fold it, lay it in the case, remove the bars and lay them on top,
    > and remove the rear deralleur (wouldn't quite fit!). Seat would go in a duffle. I still have a
    > couple of these suitcases (one damaged by UPS ). You could have those for free.
    >
    > The hinge is held together by screws. Not the fastest, but very secure.
    >
    > The bike came with a 16" front wheel, but I upgraded it to 20". I gave Urbane both, inlcuding the
    > fork for the 16".
    >
    > johnriley1 (at) rogers(dot) come

  12. Moosebear

    Moosebear New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    Here is the Belize...

    http://www.aibq.com/belize/indexen.html

    It's actually under $500 Can, which is way cheap.

    And yes, Bentbiker, Bike Friday must still be doing the SatRday, they just quoted me the other day. Nearly $3000 US with the suitcase, trailer and a few options.

    I choke, but then I think of how much I save by living car-free, and how great it would be to hop on trains or bus's with my trusty mount!

  13. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    The USS Quetzal may be gone, but it is an idea that won't die in QC:

    http://docvelo.port5.com/bilee.html

  14. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    The (almost a real bent) is called the Easy Ryder via Belize Bicycles of Canada. It is $799.00 CAD
    or something near that. I have seen one in Toronto, but I have not seen the website in 3-4 months
    and so my $799.00 might be a bit off (might be wishfull thinking). It should be easy to upgrade the
    semi-bent for better street performance.

    Joshua
    *****
    "Moosebear" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Evsolutions wrote:
    > > BTW is your interest in the Sat R Day purely for the suitcase option? There is another folding
    > > bent available in Montreal that folds for
    easy
    > > transport and the learning curve between a BikeE and this (almost a
    real
    > > bent) would be zero. Joshua (Toronto)
    > > *****
    > > > --
    >

    > Thanks, Joshua, I am not uniquely interested in the suitcase option. In fact, I think for my
    > purposes I would more often use the semi-fold option that the SatRday also provides...
    >
    > Praytell, what company in Montreal offers this folding bent which you mention?
    >

    > --

  15. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Also, FWIW many bikes, including the Rocket and Tailwind, could be fitted with S&S couplers. Calhoun
    Cycle and Angletech both offer the service on a Rocket. The bike, pobably excluding the seat, would
    fit in a suitcase.

    John Riley

  16. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    good to hear they are still making them, i based that on an e-mail I recieved from them awhile back.
    What about the SS coupler rocket?

    Moosebear wrote:

    > Evsolutions wrote:
    > > Hi John Joshua
    > > > I can't remember the name of the Montreal bike, but if it is the one I am thinking of, it
    > > > isn't really a recumbent.
    > > >
    > > > johnriley1 (at) rogers(dot) come
    >

    > Here is the Belize...
    >
    > http://www.aibq.com/belize/indexen.html
    >
    > It's actually under $500 Can, which is way cheap.
    >
    > And yes, Bentbiker, Bike Friday must still be doing the SatRday, they just quoted me the other
    > day. Nearly $3000 US with the suitcase, trailer and a few options.
    >
    > I choke, but then I think of how much I save by living car-free, and how great it would be to hop
    > on trains or bus's with my trusty mount!
    >

    > --

  17. Joe Keenan

    Joe Keenan Guest

    bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Moosebear, have you checked with Bikefriday lately, I was under the impression they are not
    > building the saturday's at this time. I could be wrong. Also, have seen two great deals on them on
    > e-bay. Also have you considered the HPM Phaser? I had the RCN test bike, it was very nice. The USS
    > and seat where top notch, and bike was quick. Also, Calhoun cycle has done some RANS rockets with
    > SS couplers, they have one on their used bike section I believe under the "previous bikes we've
    > sold" if not there, Check with Mark Stoinich they may have it on their site. You could bike up a
    > used rocket and do the SS couplers and still be way under a grand!
    >
    > Moosebear wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > > > I'll post to the YAK list for you and see if anyone answers. I do own a SAT R DAY and all I
    > > > can tell you is that I love riding it as much as my V-REX. For sure with the 16" wheels you
    > > > feel the road a bit more, but it's just flat out fun. Every now and then I can "motor" a bit
    > > > and it's fun to jump on to an upright pace line and be tool'n along at 20 mph on those
    > > > little wheels and then you get "Wow...that little thing can move" comments. Of course that's
    > > > sucking wheel and not pulling!! :eek:) Slow Joe
    > >

    > > Thanks, Joe, it's really quite remarkable how positive people like yourself seem about the ride
    > > they get on their Satrday... I actually want to use it as my daily commuter as well, to replace
    > > my BikeE. I get the feeling it will be considerably zippier. Hearing you compare it favourably
    > > to a Vrex is great.
    > >
    > > How quickly do you find you can do the sort of semi-fold option? I'm wondering about that.
    > >
    > > I'm nervous about the $4000 Canadian it will cost me if I go for it... but I guess as a SatrDay
    > > owner, with Bus, train and plane and SatRday, one has more mobility than most people dream of,
    > > and with lots more fun!
    > >
    > > Thanks for your post.
    > >
    > > Best, Moosebear

    Moose and Bentrider:

    The SAT R DAY is still made by Bike Friday. They had to increase the price and it was off their
    website for awhile. They still make 'em and sell 'em.

    Moose, you can also look around for a "used" SAT R DAY. Again, I'll post to the YAK group. I didn't
    get any responses from whoever reads the list. You may want to contact Bike Friday directly by email
    and ask them to have a SAT R DAY owner in the area contact you.

    As far as folding, the SAT R DAY folds in very little time if you're mechanically inclinded. The
    most time is taking off the seat if you want to put it in the carry bag.

    Packing it now only takes me about 20 to 30 minutes or so. The video says it can take an hour to
    pack and unpack. I didn't find it that long even the first time.

    Write to me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

    Good luck. I don't think you can go wrong. Like I said, I find this bike both sprightly, fun and
    comfortable on most roads. If you have "wash board" roads up there, you will feel it much more than
    a typical recumbent.

    Cheers

    Joe

  18. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    The bus test is a strict one. I'm not sure the Sat R Day would work very well for that. The Belize
    probably would.

    I thought of one other bike: the M5 CMPCT:

    http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/english/modellen_eng/cmpct.htm

    I think Urbane may have one of these as well.

    John Riley 1 at rogers dot com