Saturday first classic race of the year: Omloop Het Volk

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kenny, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    What's your prognosis for the first classic of the season? Who do you exspect on the podium of the
    Omloop Het Volk?

    Tags:

  2. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Kennie" <[email protected]@posting.google.com...
    > What's your prognosis for the first classic of the season? Who do you exspect on the podium of the
    > Omloop Het Volk?

    Is Museeuw strong right now? Can he take it again?

    -Ken

  3. Ken Papai wrote:
    > "Kennie" <[email protected]@posting.google.com...
    >
    >>What's your prognosis for the first classic of the season? Who do you exspect on the podium of the
    >>Omloop Het Volk?
    >

    > Is Museeuw strong right now? Can he take it again?

    Is this a prediction? A prognosis?

    Where's the CA patrol ?

    Dan

  4. P.S. I pick Van Petegem

  5. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    > On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:17:12 GMT, Daniel Connelly wrote:
    > >P.S. I pick Van Petegem
    >
    > A unique fourth win! I think he already is the only one with 3.
    >
    > Participant list on http://sportwereld.clickx.be/wielrennen/omloop_dl.asp
    >
    > My pick is van Heeswijk.

    Can you guys take your Bike Racing talk somewhere else. This newsgroup is specifically meant for
    Henry Chang to make an ass out of himself while everyone else threatens to kick his ass!

    Danny Callen

  6. "Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Is Museeuw strong right now? Can he take it again?
    > >

    > Is this a prediction? A prognosis?
    >
    > Where's the CA patrol ?

    You're half of it.

    Signed, The Other Half

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Daniel Connelly <[email protected]> wrote:

    > P.S. I pick Van Petegem

    I like him too,but can he do it twice in a row? That hasn't happened in a while.

    I'd like Bartoli, but he's out. Maybe Cipo!

  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    <Ewoud Dronkert wrote: A unique fourth win! I think he already is the only one with 3.>

    Two others with three wins- Joseph Bruyere and Ernest Sterckx

  9. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > What's your prognosis for the first classic of the season? Who do you exspect on the podium of the
    > Omloop Het Volk?

    1. Tom Steels (based on past performances)
    2. Oscar Freire (based on talent)
    3. Gianluca Bortolami (based on recent performances)

    Bret

  10. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Steels, Dierckxsens and Freire had medical nuisance in the last few days.

    Museeuw is not top but when he makes the break he can do it. If he doesnt he wont mind that much.
    Boonen is a good podium pick.

    Who really NEEDS to perform is Lotto-Domo who inherited the Domo pre-Roubaix invisibleness. Van
    Petegem should be ready. I dont think the scenario of this race suits McEwen, he has better chances
    in K-B-K on Sunday.

  11. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Can you guys take your Bike Racing talk somewhere else. This newsgroup is specifically meant for
    > Henry Chang to make an ass out of himself while everyone else threatens to kick his ass!

    I prefer these threads about the Euro scene. There aren't any fattie New England masters racers
    saying, "when you turn 35, you turn pro!".

    K. Gringioni

    ps. that was one of the best posts ever

  12. Amit

    Amit Guest

    Daniel Connelly <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > P.S. I pick Van Petegem

    I notice there are distinct two kinds of Belgians, dark hairy ones like Peter van Petegem and skinny
    blond ones like Frank Vandenbrouke. Claude Criquelion is a dark hairy one (you can tell from the
    permanent 5 o'clock shadow), as is Museeuw, Vanderaerden is a skinny blond one. Are these Flemish
    and Walloons ? I'm not sure, because the odd thing is Eddy Merckx is a dark hairy one but Axel
    Merckx is a skinny blond one. Can any Belgians clarify this ?

    -Amit

  13. Bart

    Bart Guest

    They come in all kinds here, but most of them meatish tall ones at best only suited for flat
    windy races.

    90% of racers are Flemish. But you can't distinct Flemish and Walloons simply: the Merckx,
    Vandenbrouckes and Verbrugghes e.g. are all mix-ups. You'll find more hairy dark ones in Wallonia
    though, they are Gallic in offspring, the Flemish Germanic. But as all historical euro-superpowers
    have occupied us and spread their genes, we have been very hybrid for centuries.

    yar welcome bart

  14. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Weather forecasts say the weather will be very cloudy, rather heavy rain the first part of the day,
    less chance of rain in the afternoon. A good breeze (5 beaufort) so that the wind is an extra factor
    in the progress of the race.

    It'll be the kind of weather which make the Italians wanting to go back to their beds.

    The usual names of the hard guys of the north who want to conquer the cold , the climbs and
    the paves.

    For the people who ask about Museeuw: I think he's pretty damn good. Hopefully top in the week of
    Flanders and Roubaix.

    Bad news about VDB an Ludo Dierckxsens. VDB is suffering from a knee injury which is the result of
    being hit by a car when he was a young boy. Ludo lied in bed for a few day with the flew. That's a
    pitty just after having won the GP La Marseillaise in France.

    For the people who want to witness the start of this year's edition like I do: the start now is
    given at 11:30AM in the Citadelpark next to the SMAK-museum in Ghent, not on the Vrijdagsmarkt in
    Ghent anymore .

  15. On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:26:13 GMT, Marlene Blanshay wrote:
    >I'd like Bartoli, but he's out. Maybe Cipo!

    His team is not in.

    Lotto-Domo (Van Petegem, McEwen, Baguet) Quickstep-Davitamon (Bettini, Museeuw)
    Landbouwkrediet-Colnago (Steels, Dierckxsens) Palmans-Collstrop (De Waele, Van Dijck) Vlaanderen-T
    Interim (Devolder) Marlux-Wincor-Nixdorf (Belohvosciks, Bruylandts, Verheyen) Iteamnova.com-Flanders
    (Assez, McKenzie) Telekom (Nardello, Wesemann) Coast (Guidi, Teutenberg) Holczer Radsport Marketing
    (Haselbacher, Schmidt) Cofidis (Gaumont, Mattan, Planckaert) Fdjeux.com (Cooke, Durand, Wiggins)
    Jean Delatour (Seigneur, JP. Nazon) Credit Agricole (Hushovd, O'Grady) Ag2r Prevoyance (Kirsipuu,
    Agnolutto) Rabobank (Freire, Wauters, Hunter) Bankgiroloterij Batavus (Koerts, Voskamp) USPS pr. by
    Berry Floor (Hincapie, van Heeswijk) CSC (Van Bondt, Hoffman, Van Hyfte) Fakta (Hoj, Backstedt,
    Sunderland) Fassa Bortolo (Ivanov, Kirchen, Zanotti) Alessio (Baldato, Cassani) Saeco (Fornaciari,
    Pieri, Zanini) Lampre (Loddo, Spruch, Svorada) Sidermec (Bortolami, Vainsteins, Rodriguez)

  16. On 26 Feb 2003 01:49:42 -0800, Amit wrote:
    >I notice there are distinct two kinds of Belgians, dark hairy ones like Peter van Petegem and
    >skinny blond ones like Frank Vandenbrouke. [...] Can any Belgians clarify this ?

    Maybe we ask Davide Tosi.

  17. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    This a link to the a map of this year's omloop het volk:

    <<http://www.hetnieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/beelden/omloopgr.jpg>>

    The climbs are: Kluisberg, Côte de Trieu (Knokteberg), Oude Kwaremont, Muziekbos, Muur van
    Geraardsbergen, Valkenberg, Eikenberg, Leberg, Berendries, Molenberg.

    Because of the wind from the South-West, the first part of the race the riders will have the wind in
    front which will result in a slower average. In case you go to see the race you will probably have
    to wait a bit longer than the times given at a normal average. The second part of the race will be
    faster because of the wind in the backs of the riders.

    Here you can find all the participants of this year's Omloop.

    <<http://sportwereld.clickx.be/wielrennen/omloop_dl.asp?SID=F510F0F5-37E0-4890-8112-5F4E68452BF3