Saturday Tandem Ride (10/3/15) Join In!

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
Set some records today. 60 miles at 17.5 average. Some good work with our buddy Mike into some stiff headwinds.

Gina received 35 PR's on Strava, I got 19. Gina also received two #5 trophies on a couple of segments. Meaning she set the 5th best times on these segments this year. One segment of 16. 5 miles and the other at 8.5 miles. Knowing that thousands of riders do these segments is cool!

100315C_zpsc46t21gi.jpg

100315E_zpst1ksdwjq.jpg

Reactions: Susimi
Congratulations to both of you! Can you tell me more about the tandem? Is the frame custom built? Where did you get it?

Thanks a ton

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Thanks Bob! The tandem is not custom built. It's a Burley Duet road tandem. Burley was known fro making those yellow baby buggy things that riders pull at the back of their bikes for kids. kid trailers. We are in California and Burley was in Oregon. IT's been a great bike at a great price! Sadly Burley went out of business a few years ago. Our tandem was bought in 1997. I take good care of it so it's been a really good bike. Steel cromoly frame and is a nice ride.

When we were on the market for a tandem we actually wanted a Trek. But looking into ordering a Trek, they waiting list was a year long and we didn't want to wait. The Trek was about $2300 at the time and the Burley was about $2200.

We also looked into the #1 tandem brand at the time Santana. Their starting model was $2600 without any upgrades or features we wanted. Like 48 spoke wheels, extra charge, a few other things, extra charge. Heck by the time we got what we wanted we would end up spending $3500. One of the tandems I really like from Santana was an aluminum model starting at $4500, back in 1997. :eek:

So we settled for the Burley as it was available and had all the features we wanted at a good price. Some with some TLC, this has been a great tandem for us. I do take care of it though. Pretty happy when people come up to us and tell us what a nice bike it is. Most are surprised to find out it's a 1997.

We did order it through a well known bicycle shop here in our area. Special order as most don't have the space to store tandems on the show room floor. B)

Reactions: BobCochran
That is so cool, Mr. Beanz! If you had to replace your tandem today, what would you look at? Would you still try for a Trek?

Thanks a ton

Bob

BobCochran said:
That is so cool, Mr. Beanz! If you had to replace your tandem today, what would you look at? Would you still try for a Trek?

Thanks a ton

Bob
I haven't seen many Treks since then. I know that mfg'rs do runs with their production only making so many per year from what I was told. But in the last few years I haven't seen any Treks. But we have seen Cannondales and they seem to be a nice bike at a good price. Of course they are about $3500 now but with new features (disc brakes etc). Gina has actually expressed some desire to get another tandem. Not because we need it but because she thinks it would be cool. Ahhh the joys of a wife that cycles. :lol:

Last time I looked on the Trek I didn't see any tandems on their site so I'm not even sure if they make them. :(

But we have to think hard about this one cause they take up a lot of space. and we already have 7 bikes right now. :huh:

She's been thinking about this one.

otandem_zps7jwbnaty.jpg

Reactions: BobCochran