Saturday Tandem Ride (10/3/15)

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
We were planning a nice long slow ride on the tandem. BUT a friend named Greg rolled by as we were getting ready to start our ride. He used to race years ago and is still a very strong rider. He already had about 50 miles when he joined us. He did some good pulling and ended up doing about 30 miles with us before he turned off. He ended up with over 80 miles. We did the second half of our ride with Mike and ended up with a 17.5 average over the 60 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E38oU3pKIkQ

Mr. Beanz, this is a great movie. Can you explain how you take them? What camera do you have and how is it set up? How are you able to get rearward video? I'm not very "with it", so please excuse me if I seem to be asking a question with an obvious answer. You certainly know how to take very high quality videos.

Thanks

Bob

BobCochran said:
How are you able to get rearward video?
Very carefully! :lol:

OK, I made this video with one GoPro recorder. That's why this video has all views from behind the rider. I didn't plan to record but brought long one recorder just in case.

Usually I use 2 Go Pro recorders as I have 2 that I use. I have some videos like the one with my SIL David. I hold it in my hand on a small 6 inch tripod. That allows me to pan around. That is how I can get him from behind then swing around and record us on the tandem too. Some of the more steady shots are with the front recorder mounted on the handle bars. If i use 2 recorders, it takes me extra time to go through all the clips and try to put them together chronologically.

Some other rear view shots I have *(where I don't pan) are from the second recorder mounted under my seat on the seat rails with a GoPro mount.

So if you take note, when I have the steady back shot of riders behind me, the recorder is mounted under the seat. That is hwy these videos don;t have panning around 360 degrees. Cause I am not holding the second recorder in my hand on these rides, it's mounted under my seat facing rearward. ;)

1:20 into the video, straight rear shot, the recorder is mounted under the seat on this ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge2_4dhNIfg

The rear under the saddle clamped to the rails K-Edge mount holding the Go Pro recorder.

kedgerear2_zps779b6f80.jpg

The front handle bar holding the recorder. I actually have it flipped upright in the picture, it actually goes flipped downward.

IMG_8315_zpsd5484f75.jpg

The front one in action. You can see it hanging near the center of my handle bars.

0T1_zpsltpazfqi.jpg

Of course the front view from the handle bars. Again with one recorder, left the second one at home so that is why I didn't get their faces while riding.

I go through all the footage and arrange them with music then post it on you tube linking them here.

I use the windows media movie maker free with the computer programs. I use the music section to burn a cd song then place it over the video and create the music video sections of my vids then splice them together with the chatting sections..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shskWaOuWS4

Thanks so much, Mr. Beanz! I really appreciate your help with this. I understand much better now. I'm starting to want a GoPro, too. It may go on my wish list rapidly.

Thanks again!

Bob

When I am recording people form behind me, I am holding up one arm taking a pic or recording. When I do this on a mtn ride climbing GMR, it's a little more energy zapping. :lol:

062208E.jpg

You have awesome riding and filming abilities. I'll be happy if I train to even 50% of the stamina you have.

Thanks again!

Bob

I have a GoPro 2 and a GoPro 3

0bikestuff3_zps0fscphyn.jpg

Believe it or not, this is a 6% grade with a camera in one hand an d a recorder in the other. :lol:

GMRnohands.jpg

Reactions: BobCochran
I like the videos I did not know that I can use the windows media movie maker which is installed on my computer until I read about it on your comment. Reading the tips above I know I had learn something useful should I want to record some videos too.

Keyan said:
I like the videos I did not know that I can use the windows media movie maker which is installed on my computer until I read about it on your comment. Reading the tips above I know I had learn something useful should I want to record some videos too.

Plus windows media player will rip cd's and/or songs to mp3 which is used to place music in videos on windows movie maker. ;)

Mr. Beanz, at this data point in my training history, I think I'd probably become a collection of road rash if I tried to to hold a recorder in one hand, a camera in the other hand, and then pedal uphill on a 6% grade. Obviously someone in front of you was taking the photo...astride a bike, maybe, or stationery? That photo is awesome.

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
BobCochran said:
Mr. Beanz, at this data point in my training history, I think I'd probably become a collection of road rash if I tried to to hold a recorder in one hand, a camera in the other hand, and then pedal uphill on a 6% grade. Obviously someone in front of you was taking the photo...astride a bike, maybe, or stationery? That photo is awesome.

Bob

Ha ha ha, only for a few seconds though. My ride partner stopped ahead then took the picture. No way was he going to try this stunt! :lol:

BTW Bob, I will be getting more rear view shots with my under the saddle recorder. I just got one of these remote controls for the Go Pro. It will be much easier to control the rear recorder from the handle bars. B)

20151007_231117_zpsa0hqat9y.jpg

0Remote_zpsycfym6yo.jpg