Saturday's OLN coverage

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mapei81, May 17, 2003.

  1. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    Am I the only one who thought it seemed unusually glitchy? Time after time, Phil-Paul-Bob were
    talking context when some rider actually made a move that they either didn't notice or ignored until
    they finished a couple more sentences. At least twice, I caught them missing riders in between
    groups on the mountains that I noticed and in one case identified. At one point, the

    like that. And it seemed like more commercials and promo spots than I can ever remember in OLN's
    coverage before. I also thought Garzelli consistently looked stronger than Simoni on the climb, when
    P-P-B repeatedly said the opposite.

    Don't get me wrong, I love these guys, and we are very fortunate to have them to gripe about. But
    this was not one of their finer days.

    Meanwhile, Simoni, Garzelli and (hats off to) Noe rode great today. Say goodbye to the chances of
    Casagrande and Aitor.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:

    > Am I the only one who thought it seemed unusually glitchy? Time after time, Phil-Paul-Bob were
    > talking context when some rider actually made a move that they either didn't notice or ignored
    > until they finished a couple more sentences. At least twice, I caught them missing riders in
    > between groups on the mountains that I noticed and in one case identified. At one point, the

    > like that. And it seemed like more commercials and promo spots than I can

    and then they went to Lance riding his bike shirtless, pleasing chang to no end.

    I thought the coverage was good aside from that.

    Garzelli: Talk about revenge from last year's smearing.

  3. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "chiefhiawatha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:
    >
    > > Am I the only one who thought it seemed unusually glitchy? Time after
    time,
    > > Phil-Paul-Bob were talking context when some rider actually made a move
    that
    > > they either didn't notice or ignored until they finished a couple more sentences. At least
    > > twice, I caught them missing riders in between
    groups on
    > > the mountains that I noticed and in one case identified. At one point,
    the

    sounded
    > > like that. And it seemed like more commercials and promo spots than I
    can

    > and then they went to Lance riding his bike shirtless, pleasing chang to no end.

    "Pleasing Change"! Is he Gay?

    Hawke .

  4. Nev Shea

    Nev Shea Guest

    [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Am I the only one who thought it seemed unusually glitchy? Time after time, Phil-Paul-Bob were
    > talking context when some rider actually made a move that they either didn't notice or ignored
    > until they finished a couple more sentences. At least twice, I caught them missing riders in
    > between groups on the mountains that I noticed and in one case identified. At one point, the
    > screen went to dark while someone said,

    Right after a commercial break they were warming back up, and then Phil said something about them
    loosing the feed, then it sounded like Paul

    and then we had about 8 more commercials while they straightened it out.

    > And it seemed like more commercials and promo spots than I can ever remember in OLN's coverage
    > before. I also thought Garzelli consistently looked stronger than Simoni on the climb, when P-P-B
    > repeatedly said the opposite.

    Just because you think sucking Simoni's wheel made Garzelli look stronger doesn't make the
    commentators wrong. Or did you only watch the last 100 meters?

    > Don't get me wrong, I love these guys, and we are very fortunate to have them to gripe about. But
    > this was not one of their finer days.

    first you make the case that they had technical glitches, and now you're making it sound like the
    commentators were screwing up. Think about it -- Phil and Paul can't do their job if their feed
    sucks; as for Roll, well, see the other thread.

    NS

  5. On 17 May 2003 21:22:40 GMT, [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:

    >Am I the only one who thought it seemed unusually glitchy? Time after time, Phil-Paul-Bob were
    >talking context when some rider actually made a move that they either didn't notice or ignored
    >until they finished a couple more sentences. At least twice, I caught them missing riders in
    >between groups on the mountains that I noticed and in one case identified. At one point, the

    >like that. And it seemed like more commercials and promo spots than I can ever remember in OLN's
    >coverage before.

    Count yourself lucky - Eurosport in the UK pulled the advertised coverage in favour of a
    Serie A game.

    Regards! Stephen

  6. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > On 17 May 2003 21:22:40 GMT, [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:
    >
    >> Am I the only one who thought it seemed unusually glitchy? Time after time, Phil-Paul-Bob were
    >> talking context when some rider actually made a move that they either didn't notice or ignored
    >> until they finished a couple more sentences. At least twice, I caught them missing riders in
    >> between groups on the mountains that I noticed and in one case identified. At one point, the
    >> screen went

    >> like that. And it seemed like more commercials and promo spots than I can ever remember in OLN's
    >> coverage before.
    >
    > Count yourself lucky - Eurosport in the UK pulled the advertised coverage in favour of a
    > Serie A game.
    >
    > Regards! Stephen

    Thats why I'm glad I insisted on keeping the analogue system when we got Sky digital ;-). Today
    British Eurosport were showing motorbike racing til about
    3.30.Jan

    ---

  7. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    >Just because you think sucking Simoni's wheel made Garzelli look stronger doesn't make the
    >commentators wrong. Or did you only watch the last 100 meters?

    Love your friendly attitude. I hope *you* have a nice day, too.

    >first you make the case that they had technical glitches, and now you're making it sound like the
    >commentators were screwing up.

    Exactly. I think that, in this case, there were technical glitches in some parts of the broadcast
    and announcer screwups in others. But, hey, they do a great job generally, and I thought they were
    outstanding in Sunday's coverage.