Saturday's Supper (not that long)

Mr Libido Incognito

Guest
Well a new (to me) place was explored...Glutton's a combo (5 star)
restaurant and kinda mini grocereria.

Bought some Fontina, Gloucgester, Apple Smoked Cheddar, Garlic Pate and
some nice looking Naan bread, some (new to me) Rainbow Crackers (dried
thinly sliced seed quick-breads) and some cracked peppercorn crackers.
Earlier I had run across a Ugli(a kinda orange) I had wanted to try. So
now outfitted for a proper cheese and fruit tray off we went to eat.

I had been invited out to eat and Kathy, Lorne's wife, and I had gone
exploring new places to get stuff. She had picked up some chocolate
truffles for dessert, some leeks, a greek salad for as side for supper
and another variety of the Rainbow crackers.

When we got to her house we sat around drank wine (actually they drank
wine I drank coffee) and chatted for a while then started in on supper
by eating the fruit, cheese, and pate. We tried the cheeses and Pate with
the various crackers and oven warmed Naan bread. The 2 types of seed
bread crackers were very tasty but dangerous as the dried shards
would/could stab you sharply in the gums...The cracked peppercorn
crackers were a little too bland and dry tasting. Their garlic pate was
very good...the cheeses alright but the true winner was the Ugli...a very
nice tasting and extremely juicy, but ugly to look at, green lumpy
skinned orange-like fruit.

Then we started in making supper, I mostly watched, chatted with Lorne
and sliced up mushrooms, garlic and shallots as kathy is Queen of her
kitchen and dislikes active interference or help. She started out by
baking 2 red potatoes one each for her and her hubby (I've got that low
carb thing going on) She par boiled and then braised the leeks in butter,
started up slow frying the garlic, shallots and mushrooms also in butter.
And put the Haddock in to poach in a lemon juice, white wine, chicken
stock poaching liquid. Then she made a packaged Knorr lemon dill sauce
as the sauce was a nice after thought.

The fish was very nice, the greek salad (from Gluttons) was a little
metallic tasting. I had never had braised leeks before...I found them
extremely tasty and the texture very appealing. The sauce was nice on the
fish. I'll do the leek thing again.

For dessert they ate the truffles from Gluttons and said they were good.
As I got this carb thing going on and the Crackers were a major chunk, if
not more than my daily carb allowance...never mind the Ugli, Naan bread
or carbish ingredients in the sauce. I did not partake in the Belgum
Truffles.

After Dinner we drank more wine and talked about the good old days...when
Lorne and I played with rockets and Firecrackers and as little boys do or
did...blowing things up. While Kathy, raised in Montreal, did girly stuff
like throwing rocks at Yankee Vietnam War draft dodgers. Ahh the Golden
70's.

A good time was had by all.

--
-Alan

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well a new (to me) place was explored...Glutton's a combo (5 star)
> restaurant and kinda mini grocereria.
>
> Bought some Fontina, Gloucgester, Apple Smoked Cheddar, Garlic Pate
> and
> some nice looking Naan bread, some (new to me) Rainbow Crackers (dried
> thinly sliced seed quick-breads) and some cracked peppercorn crackers.
> Earlier I had run across a Ugli(a kinda orange)

Years ago I used to have them for breakfast:) We were told they are a
cross between an orange and a grapefruit:)

O who enjoyed the rest of your mail:)