saturn,shroeder,webcor,primealliance whos next?? Who's left??



Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What If Club

Guest
Hey, so who is left to race in US cycling scene??

I would assume alot of big races will fold as well starting chain reaction no riders=no races=no
exposure=no sponsorship.. And sad part that most of pro riders do not have established jobs where
they can just go and work, like rest of us..
 
"what if club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey, so who is left to race in US cycling scene??
>
> I would assume alot of big races will fold as well starting chain reaction no riders=no races=no
> exposure=no sponsorship.. And sad part that most of pro riders do not have established jobs where
> they can just go and work, like rest of us..
>

Maybe real amateur racing will return, like when Vito Petrucci gave out all the money in entry fees
as prizes at Old Westbury on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays for years.
 
I'm not sure where this Webcor rumor started. With Tom?

I don't think it is reliable.

Dan

P.S. 2004's attrition is a natural response to the 2003 oversupply of new pro teams. Sponsorship is
cyclical and dynamic. New sponsors sign on, old sponsors sign off. Some years there's more of
one, others more of the other. But if you focus only on the latter group, you'll be perpetually
pessimistic.

what if club wrote:
> Hey, so who is left to race in US cycling scene??
>
> I would assume alot of big races will fold as well starting chain reaction no riders=no races=no
> exposure=no sponsorship.. And sad part that most of pro riders do not have established jobs where
> they can just go and work, like rest of us..
 
"what if club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey, so who is left to race in US cycling scene??
>
> I would assume alot of big races will fold as well starting chain reaction no riders=no races=no
> exposure=no sponsorship.. And sad part that most of pro riders do not have established jobs where
> they can just go and work, like rest of us..


There are a few things in the works, so says the grapevine.
 
Dan Connelly wrote:

> I'm not sure where this Webcor rumor started. With Tom?
>
> I don't think it is reliable.

It isn't. Frank Scioscia, the Webcor team director, tells me that they're all set for next year.

David LaPorte Nature Valley Grand Prix

-------------------

> Dan
>
> P.S. 2004's attrition is a natural response to the 2003 oversupply of new pro teams. Sponsorship
> is cyclical and dynamic. New sponsors sign on, old sponsors sign off. Some years there's more
> of one, others more of the other. But if you focus only on the latter group, you'll be
> perpetually pessimistic.
>
> what if club wrote:
> > Hey, so who is left to race in US cycling scene??
> >
> > I would assume alot of big races will fold as well starting chain reaction no riders=no races=no
> > exposure=no sponsorship.. And sad part that most of pro riders do not have established jobs
> > where they can just go and work, like rest of us..
 
Dan Connelly <[email protected]> wrote in news:Q24cb.1400$ab7.772 @newssvr16.news.prodigy.com:

> I'm not sure where this Webcor rumor started. With Tom?
>
> I don't think it is reliable.
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. 2004's attrition is a natural response to the 2003 oversupply of new pro teams. Sponsorship
> is cyclical and dynamic. New sponsors sign on, old sponsors sign off. Some years there's more
> of one, others more of the other. But if you focus only on the latter group, you'll be
> perpetually pessimistic.

Or optimistic, depending on whether or not you are a fan of pro cycling.

- Boyd S. not a fan of pro cycling (prefers the amateur variety)
 
"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
> > P.S. 2004's attrition is a natural response to the 2003 oversupply of new pro teams. Sponsorship
> > is cyclical and dynamic. New sponsors sign on, old sponsors sign off. Some years there's
> > more of one, others more of the other. But if you focus only on the latter group, you'll be
> > perpetually pessimistic.
>
> Or optimistic, depending on whether or not you are a fan of pro cycling.
>
> - Boyd S. not a fan of pro cycling (prefers the amateur variety)

But what is interesting is that an Olympic year is typically one where sponsorship (and media
attention) is at its highest. You usually don't see sponsors, especially big ones like Saturn, drop
their programs just when the visibility is due to be the greatest in a four year cycle.
 
Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
> But what is interesting is that an Olympic year is typically one where sponsorship (and media
> attention) is at its highest. You usually don't see sponsors, especially big ones like Saturn,
> drop their programs just when the visibility is due to be the greatest in a four year cycle.

Kloothommel,

I'm not sure the Olympics mean anything to a TT3 sponsor. None of those guys are going to get any
visibility due to the Olympics. It happened for Cruz at Saturn, but I'm not sure if there are any
win-and-go races next year. Which pretty much means the TT3 squads are SOL.

What I find interesting is that the Fed can't even drum up any sponsor interest in the track other
than some change they found in the couch cushions over at T-Mobile. Track is dead without the
Olympics and it looks like the Fed is working hard to kill it off.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]
 
"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Kloothommel,
>
> I'm not sure the Olympics mean anything to a TT3 sponsor. None of those guys are going to get any
> visibility due to the Olympics. It happened for Cruz at Saturn, but I'm not sure if there are any
> win-and-go races next year. Which pretty much means the TT3 squads are SOL.
>

But it's the endurance track events (as long as the USA is qualified, and I'm not even sure about
that) where the TT3 squads can place a rider on the Oly team.

In terms of publicity mainstream public won't really differentiate between events as long as a rider
is on the team, unless someone medals.
 
I didn't start any such thing. I may have said, "Who's next? Webcor?"

"Dan Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm not sure where this Webcor rumor started. With Tom?
>
> I don't think it is reliable.
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. 2004's attrition is a natural response to the 2003 oversupply of new pro teams. Sponsorship
> is cyclical and dynamic. New sponsors sign on, old sponsors sign off. Some years there's more
> of one, others more of the other. But if you focus only on the latter group, you'll be
> perpetually pessimistic.
>
> what if club wrote:
> > Hey, so who is left to race in US cycling scene??
> >
> > I would assume alot of big races will fold as well starting chain reaction no riders=no races=no
> > exposure=no sponsorship.. And sad part that most of pro riders do not have established jobs
> > where they can just go and work, like rest of us..
 
Hey, I just found that I did say that. And after thinking about it I can remember who told me but I
ain't copping to it. This particular person was in a position to know who was being hired and maybe
he thought that meant that Webcor was going belly up as well.

"Dan Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm not sure where this Webcor rumor started. With Tom?
>
> I don't think it is reliable.
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. 2004's attrition is a natural response to the 2003 oversupply of new pro teams. Sponsorship
> is cyclical and dynamic. New sponsors sign on, old sponsors sign off. Some years there's more
> of one, others more of the other. But if you focus only on the latter group, you'll be
> perpetually pessimistic.
>
> what if club wrote:
> > Hey, so who is left to race in US cycling scene??
> >
> > I would assume alot of big races will fold as well starting chain reaction no riders=no races=no
> > exposure=no sponsorship.. And sad part that most of pro riders do not have established jobs
> > where they can just go and work, like rest of us..
 
That's a difficult business model to sustain.

-Dion

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "what if club" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hey, so who is left to race in US cycling scene??
> >
> > I would assume alot of big races will fold as well starting chain reaction no riders=no races=no
> > exposure=no sponsorship.. And sad part that most of pro riders do not have established jobs
> > where they can just go and work, like rest of us..
> >
>
> Maybe real amateur racing will return, like when Vito Petrucci gave out
all
> the money in entry fees as prizes at Old Westbury on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays for years.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.