SAUSAGE & PEPPERS: Bake or fry?

L

Lady Cake

Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
pressure cooker?

Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?

"Lady Cake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the
stove? What about a pressure cooker?
>
> Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy
yellow/orange ones?

I think sausages are Polish not Italian, instead Salame and Salsiccia are Italian.

>
yellow/orange ones?

Always fried. Red and yellow are more colorful and green will work. Fry the sausage then the peppers
in the fat from the sausage and serve on a hoagie roll, or slice and plate em.

>? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?

---------------------------------
I don't know about the yellow ones, but green Bell peppers are the same as red ones--they (green)
just haven't ripened yet.

"Lady Cake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
> pressure cooker?
>
> Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?

In the oven on a rack, slow cook at a low heat with water in a metal container on the bottom floor
of the oven. Make sure the rack is coated with a heavy oil such as peanut oil. Olive oil on red bell
peppers, with garlic, are the best. You could throw in parsnips (white carrots), onions, whole
garlic cloves, and red potatos too. I've done it all.
--
Sincerely, Alex

"AArDvarK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:OujZb.7481$CQ6.5197@fed1read05...
>
> "Lady Cake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the
> >
> > Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy
yellow/orange ones?
>
> In the oven on a rack, slow cook at a low heat with water in a metal container on the bottom floor
> of the oven. Make sure the rack is coated with a heavy oil such as peanut oil. Olive oil on red
> bell peppers, with garlic, are the best. You could throw in parsnips (white carrots), onions,
> whole garlic cloves, and red potatos too. I've done it all.
> --
> Sincerely, Alex

He is the troll posting as anonymous all over Usenet, please don't feed him.

>Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
>pressure cooker?
>
>Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?

I always fry mine, I use Itallian hot sausage, after it is cooked throw a mix of peppers ( I use
all color, to make it look better ) cook in the fat from the sausage... yuuummmm Rosie

On 20 Feb 2004 13:32:32 GMT, [email protected] (RMiller) wrote:

>>
>>Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
>>pressure cooker?
>>
>>Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?
>
>
> I always fry mine, I use Itallian hot sausage, after it is cooked throw a mix of peppers ( I use
> all color, to make it look better ) cook in the fat from the sausage... yuuummmm Rosie

I fry peppers and onions in olive oil. I start the peppers first until limp, then add the onions
until caramelized, then dress with evoo.

With sausage is most common, but just by them selves as a side is great also. Pan Ohco

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (RMiller) wrote:

> I always fry mine, I use Itallian hot sausage, after it is cooked
throw a mix
> of peppers ( I use all color, to make it look better ) cook in the fat
from the
> sausage... yuuummmm

I like the colors also. But you forgot the onions!

--
Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>>
>>Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
>>pressure cooker?
>>
>>Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?
>
>
> I always fry mine, I use Itallian hot sausage, after it is cooked throw a mix of peppers ( I use
> all color, to make it look better ) cook in the fat from the sausage... yuuummmm Rosie
>
I do the same...but add an equal amount of sliced onions as well...delicious!

As for color, I like to mix them - it makes for a prettier dish.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK

Donna Rose wrote:
>
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >>
> >>Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
> >>pressure cooker?
> >>
> >>Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?
> >
> >
> > I always fry mine, I use Itallian hot sausage, after it is cooked throw a mix of peppers ( I use
> > all color, to make it look better ) cook in the fat from the sausage... yuuummmm Rosie
> >
> I do the same...but add an equal amount of sliced onions as well...delicious!
>
> As for color, I like to mix them - it makes for a prettier dish.

What surprised me, watching this thread, is that no one that I noticed said *Italian peppers* ...
that's the kind to use. If I was going to use bell peppers, I personally would stick to the green,
but then I prefer them to the ripe. Man, nothing like a sausage and peppers on a nice club roll.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
wrote:

> What surprised me, watching this thread, is that no one that I noticed said *Italian peppers* ...
> that's the kind to use. If I

I live in California, and the only Italian peppers I have seen are pickled. What are they
like? Around here they sell various colors of bell, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim and habanero as
fresh peppers.

--

Dan Abel wrote:
>
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > What surprised me, watching this thread, is that no one that I noticed said *Italian peppers*
> > ... that's the kind to use. If I
>
> I live in California, and the only Italian peppers I have seen are pickled. What are they like?
> Around here they sell various colors of bell, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim and habanero as fresh
> peppers.

How interesting. Well, they have another name which I don't remember. Around here you just call them
Italian peppers. They are much paler green than green bell peppers. They are much thinner, and
longer. I imagine they are equal on the scoville chart.

They are most likely nothing like the pickled ones you know, which I assume are cherry peppers,
like that.

nancy (if I find a picture, I will post it)

Nancy Young wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
>>
>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> What surprised me, watching this thread, is that no one that I noticed said *Italian peppers*
>>> ... that's the kind to use. If I
>>
>> I live in California, and the only Italian peppers I have seen are pickled. What are they like?
>> Around here they sell various colors of bell, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim and habanero as fresh
>> peppers.
>
> How interesting. Well, they have another name which I don't remember. Around here you just call
> them Italian peppers. They are much paler green than green bell peppers. They are much thinner,
> and longer. I imagine they are equal on the scoville chart.
>
> They are most likely nothing like the pickled ones you know, which I assume are cherry peppers,
> like that.
>
> nancy (if I find a picture, I will post it)

http://www.foodsubs.com/Peppersw.html

It's the longish light green one, second one down.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
>
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Dan Abel wrote:

> >> I live in California, and the only Italian peppers I have seen are pickled. What are they like?
> >> Around here they sell various colors of bell, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim and habanero as fresh
> >> peppers.
> >
> > How interesting. Well, they have another name which I don't remember. Around here you just call
> > them Italian peppers. They are much paler green than green bell peppers. They are much thinner,
> > and longer. I imagine they are equal on the scoville chart.
> >
> > They are most likely nothing like the pickled ones you know, which I assume are cherry peppers,
> > like that.
> >
> > nancy (if I find a picture, I will post it)
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Peppersw.html
>
> It's the longish light green one, second one down.

She's exactly right. They are labeled Italian peppers in the store, here. I am sure they would be
available just about everywhere, but what do I know.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:

> > http://www.foodsubs.com/Peppersw.html
> >
> > It's the longish light green one, second one down.
>
> She's exactly right. They are labeled Italian peppers in the store, here. I am sure they would be
> available just about everywhere, but what do I know.

And that link above mentions "Italian frying peppers" as a substitute for bell peppers. A little
Google on Italian frying peppers turns up:

http://mariseeds.com/2004catalog/html/italianfry.html

Thanks to both of you! That's what I like about this group.

--

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> http://www.foodsubs.com/Peppersw.html
>>>
>>> It's the longish light green one, second one down.
>>
>> She's exactly right. They are labeled Italian peppers in the store, here. I am sure they would be
>> available just about everywhere, but what do I know.
>
>
> And that link above mentions "Italian frying peppers" as a substitute for bell peppers. A little
> Google on Italian frying peppers turns up:
>
> http://mariseeds.com/2004catalog/html/italianfry.html
>
> Thanks to both of you! That's what I like about this group.

Team effort, Dan! :)

Jill

Grill both the sausages and peppers. If you don't have access to a grill, use a grill pan, or
the broiler.

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

>
yellow/orange ones?

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Dan Abel wrote:
>>>
>>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>>>
>>>> What surprised me, watching this thread, is that no one that I noticed said *Italian peppers*
>>>> ... that's the kind to use. If I
>>>
>>> I live in California, and the only Italian peppers I have seen are pickled. What are they like?
>>> Around here they sell various colors of bell, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim and habanero as fresh
>>> peppers.
>>
>> How interesting. Well, they have another name which I don't remember. Around here you just call
>> them Italian peppers. They are much paler green than green bell peppers. They are much thinner,
>> and longer. I imagine they are equal on the scoville chart.
>>
>> They are most likely nothing like the pickled ones you know, which I assume are cherry peppers,
>> like that.
>>
>> nancy (if I find a picture, I will post it)
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Peppersw.html
>
> It's the longish light green one, second one down.
>
> Jill
>
>
>

Banana peppers might be their name; milder than jalapeno.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:42:36 -0500, Lady Cake wrote:

> Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
> pressure cooker?
>
> Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?

Hot Italian Sausage in Sweet Basil Sauce

1 lb. Hot Italian Sausages (in casings) cut in 1" to 2" pieces 2 Medium onions chopped 2 Red bell
peppers (or one red and one green) cleaned and cut into 1" pieces 3 Cloves of garlic sliced 2
Tablespoons oil (preferably olive) 2 Large cans whole peeled tomatoes 1 Teaspoon sugar Salt and
Pepper to taste 1 Tablespoon sweet basil

Sauté two cloves of garlic, one onion and the bell peppers in a sauce pan. When the onion is
translucent add the juice from the tomatoes. Remove the whole tomatoes from the can and chop them
into 1' pieces. Add the tomato pieces, sugar, salt and pepper to the sauce. Raise the heat until the
sauce is at a medium to rapid boil. When the sauce is thickened to 80% of what is desired (45
minutes or so), sauté the remaining onion and garlic in a frying pan using a little oil. When the
onion is just beginning to become translucent add the sausage pieces to the pan. Sauté the sausage
until nearly done. Remove the sausage from the pan and discard grease, onion and garlic. Add the
sausage and basil to the sauce, continuing to cook it down to the desired consistency. Taste the
sauce and add additional basil if required. Sauce should have a slightly sweet flavor. Serve over
fettuccini, with parmesan cheese. This will provide sufficient sauce for 5 or 6 servings.

The object of this dish is to contrast the hot sausage and the sweet sauce. For this reason the
sausage is cooked separately from the sauce to limit the blending of the hot and sweet flavors. It
is preferable to use all red bell peppers as they add sweetness to the sauce, however sometimes red
bell peppers are prohibitively expensive and then I usually use one red and one green. Chopped
fresh tomatoes can be used in place of the canned if the are good'n ripe. If the sausage is too
hot, half hot and half mild sausage can be used. The sauce is sweetened by the basil and the red
peppers, the sugar is to enhance the flavor of the tomatoes. To sweeten the sauce add additional
basil, not sugar.

Jake 7/94