SAUSAGE & PEPPERS: Bake or fry?

"Lady Cake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the
stove? What about a pressure cooker?
>
> Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy
yellow/orange ones?

Here's a great recipe... I also add quartered onions... Thinking about also adding some sun-dried
tomatoes. Sausage, peppers, and potatoes

INGREDIENTS

- 2 pounds Italian hot or sweet sausage, or a combination of both

- 6 baking potatoes, cut in wedges

- 2 red bell peppers, cut into strips

- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

- Sprinkle of dried oregano

- Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Separate the sausage

links. Place the sausages, potatoes, and peppers in a

large baking pan. Add the olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper,

and mix well. Bake for 1 hour, stirring the contents of the pan

twice during baking to be sure that nothing sticks to the pan.

Serve with a good crusty bread.

Lady Cake wrote:

> Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
> pressure cooker?
>=20
> Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?

Simple Italian Sausages

4 Italian Sausages 1 Table Spoon of Dijon Mustard 1 Table Spoon of Mayonaise

Mix the mayonaise and mustard together in a very small serving pot, into a smooth consistency and
put on table as a condiment.

Poke holes in the sausage with a fork. (two pokes on two sides is enough)=

Using a thick base pan with a table spoon of olive oil, fry whole spicey Italian sausages by first
searing them at high and turning often and then slow covered cooking at continuously lower heat. 16
- 18 minutes (if the brand is low in fat, then 13-15 minutes will prob do.) Turn sausages regularly.
They become very dark, almost black. (Can be done over charcoal or gas barbecue as well). When
cooked, set to rest for a minute (in pan) at an angle to drain fat.

A teaspoon of the mustard/mayo mix per sausage is a great complement (per the diners taste).

I usually serve the above with linguine Alfredo (or Alfredo with sun=20 dried tomatos), and peppers
(market fresh, so color and taste vary a=20 bit) and onions vegetables saut=E9ed with peanut or Thai
sauce; with a=20 romaine salad and homemade salad dressing.

Cheers, Alan

--=20 e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

> > Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the

Stovetop I'd prefer.

> > Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy
yellow/orange ones?

Why not all 3. Red, green, and yellow/orange.

Of course, I prefer my sausage and peppers in tomato sauce, poured over fresh pasta. But that's
just me. ;-)

Saved that, thank you. Alex

"Glenn Jacobs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:42:36 -0500, Lady Cake wrote:
>
> > Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
> > pressure cooker?
> >
> > Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?
>
> Hot Italian Sausage in Sweet Basil Sauce
>
>
> 1 lb. Hot Italian Sausages (in casings) cut in 1" to 2" pieces 2 Medium onions chopped 2 Red bell
> peppers (or one red and one green) cleaned and cut into 1" pieces 3 Cloves of garlic sliced 2
> Tablespoons oil (preferably olive) 2 Large cans whole peeled tomatoes 1 Teaspoon sugar Salt and
> Pepper to taste 1 Tablespoon sweet basil
>
>
> Sauté two cloves of garlic, one onion and the bell peppers in a sauce pan. When the onion is
> translucent add the juice from the tomatoes. Remove the whole tomatoes from the can and chop them
> into 1' pieces. Add the tomato pieces, sugar, salt and pepper to the sauce. Raise the heat until
> the sauce is at a medium to rapid boil. When the sauce is thickened to 80% of what is desired (45
> minutes or so), sauté the remaining onion and garlic in a frying pan using a little oil. When the
> onion is just beginning to become translucent add the sausage pieces to the pan. Sauté the sausage
> until nearly done. Remove the sausage from the pan and discard grease, onion and garlic. Add the
> sausage and basil to the sauce, continuing to cook it down to the desired consistency. Taste the
> sauce and add additional basil if required. Sauce should have a slightly sweet flavor. Serve over
> fettuccini, with parmesan cheese. This will provide sufficient sauce for 5 or 6 servings.
>
> The object of this dish is to contrast the hot sausage and the sweet sauce. For this reason the
> sausage is cooked separately from the sauce to limit the blending of the hot and sweet flavors. It
> is preferable to use all red bell peppers as they add sweetness to the sauce, however sometimes
> red bell peppers are prohibitively expensive and then I usually use one red and one green. Chopped
> fresh tomatoes can be used in place of the canned if the are good'n ripe. If the sausage is too
> hot, half hot and half mild sausage can be used. The sauce is sweetened by the basil and the red
> peppers, the sugar is to enhance the flavor of the tomatoes. To sweeten the sauce add additional
> basil, not sugar.
>
> Jake 7/94

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:42:36 -0500, "Lady Cake"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the stove? What about a
> pressure cooker?
>
> Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy yellow/orange ones?

I like to take off the casings and saute them in chuncks. A melange of colors as far as peppers is
my first choice. Add some fresh tomato & chopped basil & garlic and some dried oregano. If you want
it saucy, add some stock and cook it down to thicken. Serve over pasta.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> "Glenn Jacobs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:42:36 -0500, Lady Cake wrote:
> >
> > > Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the
> > >
> > > Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the
fancy yellow/orange ones?

Just today Maryanne Esposito did a similar dish on the Chao Italia show. She sautéed them first then
finished in the oven. I did not see it all so check out h er book for details. Ed [email protected]
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Also called 'frying peppers'.

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Dan Abel wrote:
> >
> > In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]
> > wrote:
> >
> > > What surprised me, watching this thread, is that no one that I noticed said *Italian peppers*
> > > ... that's the kind to use. If I
> >
> > I live in California, and the only Italian peppers I have seen are pickled. What are they like?
> > Around here they sell various colors of bell, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim and habanero as fresh
> > peppers.
>
> How interesting. Well, they have another name which I don't remember. Around here you just call
> them Italian peppers. They are much paler green than green bell peppers. They are much thinner,
> and longer. I imagine they are equal on the scoville chart.
>
> They are most likely nothing like the pickled ones you know, which I assume are cherry peppers,
> like that.

> nancy (if I find a picture, I will post it)

I really want to scream "Troll" but the subject line is so dear to my heart
that I can't resist a comment :)

Oven is fine with red peppers, on the grill is best, pressure cooker-that is heresy...

Frank "Lady Cake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the
>
> Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy
yellow/orange ones?

Yes I would think a pressure cooker would turn the sausages into mush ... icko-yucko! Alex

"Frankie Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:EYe_b.10126$nI1.8170@okepread05...
> I really want to scream "Troll" but the subject line is so dear to my heart that I can't resist a
> comment :)
>
> Oven is fine with red peppers, on the grill is best, pressure cooker-that is heresy...
>
> Frank "Lady Cake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Is is better to make Italian sausage & peppers in the oven? Or on the
> stove? What about a pressure cooker?
> >
> > Any good recipes? Which peppers are better.....red, green, or the fancy
> yellow/orange ones?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:29:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"

> Just today Maryanne Esposito did a similar dish on the Chao Italia show. She sautéed them first
> then finished in the oven. I did not see it all so check out h er book for details.

Is that FoodTV? I didn't see it listed.

I like her, but I'm not a big TV viewer these days so I don't know where to find shows.

In article <[email protected]>,=20 [email protected] says...
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:29:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote:
>=20
> > Just today Maryanne Esposito did a similar dish on the Chao Italia sho=
w.
> > She saut=C3=A9ed them first then finished in the oven. I did not see =
it all so
> > check out h er book for details.
>=20
> Is that FoodTV? I didn't see it listed.
>=20
> I like her, but I'm not a big TV viewer these days so I don't know where to find shows.
>=20
That's a PBS show. I've seen it locally here in SF on either Channel 10=20 (KTEH), 17 (KCSM) or 22
(KRCB). I've never seen it on Channel 9 (KQED).

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:15:03 GMT, Donna Rose

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:29:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Just today Maryanne Esposito did a similar dish on the Chao Italia show. She sautéed them
> > > first then finished in the oven. I did not see it all so check out h er book for details.
> >
> > Is that FoodTV? I didn't see it listed.
> >
> > I like her, but I'm not a big TV viewer these days so I don't know where to find shows.
> >
> That's a PBS show. I've seen it locally here in SF on either Channel 10 (KTEH), 17 (KCSM) or 22
> (KRCB). I've never seen it on Channel 9 (KQED).

Thanks for the info!

After this post, I decided to try to bake sausage and peppers and here is what happened.

I put a layer of Italian sausage, then pricked them. I cut up strips of fresh onion and bell pepper
and baked them in the oven. You can add garlic.

Then my plan when they were browned was to put about half a large jar of marinara sauce over them,
bake a little more and serve with rigatoni.

Well they would have been delicious but there is a problem. Italian sausage has quite a bit of fat
and when they are baked, it pools in the pain.

Either bake them first on a rack and drain or fry them first and then bake them with the peppers.
The bottom line is to get the grease out.