I would like to see the Trans Canada Trail Foundation help organize and contribute financially to
restore the Kettle Valley Railway trestles. My wife and I and our daughter and a friend of hers
cycled the KVR from Highway 3 to Penticton about 10 years or so ago before the trestles were decked.
It was exciting, to say the least. We had to cross one long, very high trestle on which 15 to 20
ties were missing, requiring us to walk like tight rope walkers carrying our loaded bikes across the
gap. A work mate who cycled it about 10 days before the Okanagan Mountain Fire destroyed the
trestles said it was one of the finest adventures of his life! And he had no gaps to cross.
Now to the point.
I believe the KVR Trail is the most enjoyable, most spectacular section of the Trans Canada Trail.
The trestles MUST be rebuilt!
Folks in my province, Alberta, with 9 per cent of Canada's population, have, to date, donated
$1,742,500 to the TCF or 14% of all its total cash donations. The TCF has funded five projects in
Alberta, to date, for a total of $284,120. It's unlikely that the trail portion in Alberta will
require a great deal more of capital spending.
Speaking as an Albertan, I'd like to see the TCF organize a national "Save the Kettle Valley Railway
Trail Campaign" in which it would set an example by providing a major contribution and temporarily
deferring future Alberta projects