Savings guzzlers

Resound

New Member
May 15, 2004
I found this in the little pages just now in the tea room: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19547143%255E2862,00.html

Showed it to a couple of people and they both looked awfully thoughtful. This sort of thing does lead to a certain smugness :)

Resound wrote:
> I found this in the little pages just now in the tea room:
> http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19547143%5E2862,00.html
>
> Showed it to a couple of people and they both looked awfully
> thoughtful. This sort of thing does lead to a certain smugness :)
>

> --
> Resound

Very roughly doing the maths, the cost of petrol isapproximately 30% of
this.

The change over the last 6 months has been approximately 5% of the
total cost of use of a car...

Denial is not a river in Egypt!

On 2006-06-22, Resound (aka Bruce)

> I found this in the little pages just now in the tea room:
> http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19547143%5E2862,00.html

And in the "related article" links below:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19547814%5E2862,00.html

She deserves it for wanting to drive 200m, but wow, I've never heard
of someone getting a 16 month license cancellation for a relatively
minor offense (it's not like she knocked down a cyclist after drinking
4 bottles of wine in the Adelaide hills then drove away).

--
TimC
you are WRONG. QED -- George Hammond

PHP:
TimC said:
She deserves it for wanting to drive 200m, but wow, I've never heard
of someone getting a 16 month license cancellation for a relatively
minor offense (it's not like she knocked down a cyclist after drinking
4 bottles of wine in the Adelaide hills then drove away).

--
TimC
you are WRONG. QED -- George Hammond
PHP:

Being 3.36 x the legal limit aint exactly "minor" The mad cow was fried!!

mmmmmm .. ... fried cow .... ....

They allude to another key issues that - for some reason - hasn't gotten
a lot of attention lately:

"The RACV study found the rising costs of driving were not entirely due
to rising petrol prices.

Depreciation made up nearly half of the total running costs of the
surveyed vehicles. "

It makes perfect sense to my mind that, with a worldwide oversupply of
new cars, increasing cost advantage of newer (more fuel efficient)
engines, a decrease in demand (sales in Aus dropped another 2% last
month) + more people looking to alternative transport options, this
spells a substantial increase in depreciation rates.

I wonder why ACA and their ilk haven't done an exposee on "It's not just
petrol that's killing you!!!!"

Jules

cfsmtb wrote:
> TimC Wrote:
>
>>And in the "related article" links below:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/z5mt7
>>

> All wrong. Go to jail. Do not collect $200 (or Crimestoppers etc)
>
> BTW - another way to save money. Learn to barter stuff (bike bits, hard
> waste finds, homebrew, garden produce, spare cats) or join a local
> freecycle group. Scored some damn useful household applicances so far.
> But still waiting for a chest freezer...

spare cats???????

Hnmmmmm you can have the woman upstairs. SHe is a redhead. Thats about
it for positives.

er if you take her I,ll throw in a chest freezer. Yeah thats it a chest
Freezer. Or I could just give you a chest freezer and the contents are
your problem :)

Hmmmm OUt of exotic dry cat food. THe vet promises it tomorrow.
Cat glaring at me. I dare not sleep

Dave

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:39:50 +1000, cfsmtb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>But still waiting for a chest freezer...

and yet its too cold to flash your tits - the all natural chest
freezer and so cheap to run!

Aeek said:
and yet its too cold to flash your tits - the all natural chest
freezer and so cheap to run!

Oooooooo, lucky isn't it, that you reside interstate young feller? :D

Jules wrote:

> I wonder why ACA and their ilk haven't done an exposee on "It's not just
> petrol that's killing you!!!!"

Just a stab in the dark, something to do with the advertising that
station carries? ;-)
--
Cheers
Euan

cfsmtb wrote:
> But still waiting for a chest freezer...

Try dropping some ice blocks down your jersey.

Theo

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:08:09 GMT
Jules <[email protected]> wrote:
> It makes perfect sense to my mind that, with a worldwide oversupply of
> new cars, increasing cost advantage of newer (more fuel efficient)
> engines, a decrease in demand (sales in Aus dropped another 2% last
> month) + more people looking to alternative transport options, this
> spells a substantial increase in depreciation rates.

Always boggles me that people buy new cars. Or new motorbikes for
that matter :)

Buy a 2yo one and you save buckets.

What's the depreciation on bicycles? Is the top end like the high end
motorcycle (sportbikes anyway) where a 2yo one that's been ridden at
all is worth about half of the new price?

Zebee

dave said:
cfsmtb wrote:
> TimC Wrote:
>
>>And in the "related article" links below:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/z5mt7
>>

> All wrong. Go to jail. Do not collect $200 (or Crimestoppers etc)
>
> BTW - another way to save money. Learn to barter stuff (bike bits, hard
> waste finds, homebrew, garden produce, spare cats) or join a local
> freecycle group. Scored some damn useful household applicances so far.
> But still waiting for a chest freezer...

spare cats???????

Hnmmmmm you can have the woman upstairs. SHe is a redhead. Thats about
it for positives.

er if you take her I,ll throw in a chest freezer. Yeah thats it a chest
Freezer. Or I could just give you a chest freezer and the contents are
your problem :)

Hmmmm OUt of exotic dry cat food. THe vet promises it tomorrow.
Cat glaring at me. I dare not sleep

Dave

Woman up stairs has not been seen for days. Cat has source of fresh meat. Where's the problem? :D

Evil SteveA

SteveA said:
Woman up stairs has not been seen for days. Cat has source of fresh meat. Where's the problem? :D

Meeee-ow! Waiter! a saucer of milk for Table 14... :p

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:08:09 GMT
> Jules <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Always boggles me that people buy new cars. Or new motorbikes for
> that matter :)
>
> Buy a 2yo one and you save buckets.
>
> What's the depreciation on bicycles? Is the top end like the high end
> motorcycle (sportbikes anyway) where a 2yo one that's been ridden at
> all is worth about half of the new price?
>

> Zebee

Depends how long you plan to keep it - I keep my cars a minimum of ten
years, so I know exactly what it's usage history is from the very start,
plus for the first five years I have the peace of mind of a
manufacturer's warranty. My present car is now ten years old, I'm
looking out for a new one but cannot find one that meets my criteria, so
this one stays till I find an equivalent, new one which I will also keep
for about ten years.

Hate to admit it, but I also have a four wheel drive. It only gets used
when I need towing power or off road ability. It's now 38 years old (had
that from new too) and it does some 500 miles a year tops. But I could
not live on this block of land without it.

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Karen Gallagher said:
Depends how long you plan to keep it - I keep my cars a minimum of ten
years, so I know exactly what it's usage history is from the very start,
plus for the first five years I have the peace of mind of a
manufacturer's warranty. My present car is now ten years old, I'm
looking out for a new one but cannot find one that meets my criteria, so
this one stays till I find an equivalent, new one which I will also keep
for about ten years.

Hate to admit it, but I also have a four wheel drive. It only gets used
when I need towing power or off road ability. It's now 38 years old (had
that from new too) and it does some 500 miles a year tops. But I could
not live on this block of land without it.

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

There's nothing inherently wrong with owning a 4WD. You're using it appropriately rather than as a daily commuter.

> What's the depreciation on bicycles? Is the top end like the high end
> motorcycle (sportbikes anyway) where a 2yo one that's been ridden at
> all is worth about half of the new price?

I'd say that's about right. Possibly even higher, since people who buy
them can happily afford a new one every couple of years.

Jules

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:08:09 GMT
> Jules <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It makes perfect sense to my mind that, with a worldwide oversupply of
>>new cars, increasing cost advantage of newer (more fuel efficient)
>>engines, a decrease in demand (sales in Aus dropped another 2% last
>>month) + more people looking to alternative transport options, this
>>spells a substantial increase in depreciation rates.

> Always boggles me that people buy new cars. Or new motorbikes for
> that matter :)
>
> Buy a 2yo one and you save buckets.
>
> What's the depreciation on bicycles? Is the top end like the high end
> motorcycle (sportbikes anyway) where a 2yo one that's been ridden at
> all is worth about half of the new price?
>

> Zebee

Well it is

Cept the last couple of years where prices generally seem to have come
down a lot.

And yeah I agree with you btw. Although as I started resurecting
Stealth Kats seat and realised one component bolt was rusted solid, I
was wishing she were a tad younger. :(

Dave