Saw A Bike Accident Yesterday.

Possumpoint

Oct 11, 2011
Was sitting at a light waiting for traffic to allow me to make a right turn on red. The stop light controls traffic on a 6 lane primary route running north and south at two opposing entrances to private commercial property. A north bound small PU waited for traffic to clear and made a left turn across three lanes of traffic into the opposing entrance. He was about halfway across the sidewalk adjacent to the southbound lanes when he was stuck at the passenger door by a southbound bike riding on the sidewalk. The bike was knocked sideways and the bicyclists hit his hip on the side of the truck between the passenger compartment and rear tire. The bicyclists never lost his footing and saw him wave to the driver as I made my turn. I assumed everything was alright but began to wonder whom was at fault. Who failed to yield to whom?

Sounds like the southbound and northbound traffic lanes were under a green light condition and the northbound driver waited till there was a break in the southbound traffic to execute his/her left turn. Then a southbound cyclist entered the intersection from the sidewalk and struck the side of the car.

Was the southbound cyclist on a pedestrian sidewalk or a combined bike path/pedestrian sidewalk?

Was the sidewalk the cyclist was using controlled by a walk/don't walk light? Is it a cross walk?

I don't know the Virginia traffic laws, but I thought I would ask some clarifying questions.

Bicyclist was on a sidewalk, not a combination bike lane and sidewalk. Other then the stop light, there weren't any additional traffic controls.

More questions:

Was the pickup in a turn-only lane? Did the pickup have his turn signal on?

Did the cyclist have any flashy-blinky lights on?

Such incidents are very rare, there must be some kind of malfunctioning in the singal light. Such accidents are not likely to happen, but sometime due to confusion in such a state, it is normal to get into an accident.

I cannot make any statement for this accident. This is very confusing and I think a lawyer can help the injured to simplify who is at fault. But I think this is a very strange sort of accident.

A cop actually tried to ticket me for a similar scenario(though there was no traffic and it was later night). He claimed I went from a sidewalk parallel and into the left through a red light. I had green left turn, so I was on the right direction to cross in the light manner. Not being one to back down and me being young and fiesty at that point, we concluded with a written warning stating I ran a light and it would have been $170, which is bogus in PA law which states $10.