saw a ultegra road bike for $2k...good buying?

ODB

Guest
thinking about getting back into road biking and saw a nifty no name brand
machine and the new freedom machine store in brighton.

sign says reduced from $2.8 and given i know nothing nowadays, just thought
id check with the group.

I has fancy mavic rims with the fewer spokes and carbon fork, perhaps rear -
not sure.

groupset was ultegra which i remember was top notch back in the day - is
this decent buying? (cant remember the brand but wasnt one id heard of
before)

"ODB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:k%[email protected]...
> thinking about getting back into road biking and saw a nifty no name brand
> machine and the new freedom machine store in brighton.
>
> sign says reduced from $2.8 and given i know nothing nowadays, just thought
> id check with the group.
>
> I has fancy mavic rims with the fewer spokes and carbon fork, perhaps rear -
> not sure.
>
> groupset was ultegra which i remember was top notch back in the day - is
> this decent buying? (cant remember the brand but wasnt one id heard of
> before)

Question 1. Does the bike fit the rider?

Tomasso wrote:

> "ODB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:k%[email protected]...
>> thinking about getting back into road biking and saw a nifty no name
>> brand machine and the new freedom machine store in brighton.
>>
>> sign says reduced from $2.8 and given i know nothing nowadays, just
>> thought id check with the group.
>>
>> I has fancy mavic rims with the fewer spokes and carbon fork, perhaps
>> rear - not sure.
>>
>> groupset was ultegra which i remember was top notch back in the day -
>> is this decent buying? (cant remember the brand but wasnt one id heard
>> of before)

> Question 1. Does the bike fit the rider?

2. Is it the right colour?

<g>

--
//Adam F

On Jul 15, 9:55 am, Adam F <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tomasso wrote:
>
> > "ODB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:k%[email protected]...
> >> thinking about getting back into road biking and saw a nifty no name
> >> brand machine and the new freedom machine store in brighton.

> >> sign says reduced from $2.8 and given i know nothing nowadays, just
> >> thought id check with the group.

> >> I has fancy mavic rims with the fewer spokes and carbon fork, perhaps
> >> rear - not sure.

> >> groupset was ultegra which i remember was top notch back in the day -
> >> is this decent buying? (cant remember the brand but wasnt one id heard
> >> of before)

> > Question 1. Does the bike fit the rider?

> 2. Is it the right colour?
>
> <g>
>
> --
> //Adam F

Does the OP really care? Troll.

ODB said:
thinking about getting back into road biking and saw a nifty no name brand
machine and the new freedom machine store in brighton.

sign says reduced from $2.8 and given i know nothing nowadays, just thought
id check with the group.

I has fancy mavic rims with the fewer spokes and carbon fork, perhaps rear -
not sure.

groupset was ultegra which i remember was top notch back in the day - is
this decent buying? (cant remember the brand but wasnt one id heard of
before)
It's a bit hard to say, there are a lot of frames coming onto the market these days of varing quality, The groupset and the wheels are good quality so from that point it is a good price.

cool, thanks for the replies guys.

as far as fit and whatever, it fits, its a nice light machine with a good
groupset?

what do the so called experts ( the previous 2 posters) suggest I do?

news:[email protected]...

ODB said:
cool, thanks for the replies guys.

as far as fit and whatever, it fits, its a nice light machine with a good
groupset?

what do the so called experts ( the previous 2 posters) suggest I do?

I suggest that like any major purchase, you shop around, get advice from different places, If you know any experienced people get someone to check it out for you. As I said previously, the wheels and groupset are good, I am just concerned about the frame. What is it made of? Where is it made? How are the joins welded? Do they offer a good warranty? etc....

I am sure the bike would generally be fine and if it fits and you like it, that is all that counts. You should understand though as pointed out earlier, the groupset itself is quite expensive, as for the wheels, it depends on what mavic wheels they are if they are SSC or even Elite, I would worry about the quality of the frame... if your happy and comfortable with the purchase go for it, however the best thing I did was to SHOP around as much as possible and try as many as possible.

Tomasso wrote:
> "ODB" <[email protected]> wrote

>> thinking about getting back into road biking and saw a nifty no name
>> brand machine and the new freedom machine store in brighton.
>>
>> sign says reduced from $2.8 and given i know nothing nowadays, just
>> thought id check with the group.
>>
>> I has fancy mavic rims with the fewer spokes and carbon fork,
>> perhaps rear - not sure.
>>
>> groupset was ultegra which i remember was top notch back in the day
>> - is this decent buying? (cant remember the brand but wasnt one id
>> heard of before)

> Question 1. Does the bike fit the rider?

I think he wanted answers, not questions.

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tomasso wrote:
>> "ODB" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> thinking about getting back into road biking and saw a nifty no name
>>> brand machine and the new freedom machine store in brighton.
>>>
>>> sign says reduced from $2.8 and given i know nothing nowadays, just
>>> thought id check with the group.
>>>
>>> I has fancy mavic rims with the fewer spokes and carbon fork,
>>> perhaps rear - not sure.
>>>
>>> groupset was ultegra which i remember was top notch back in the day
>>> - is this decent buying? (cant remember the brand but wasnt one id
>>> heard of before)

>> Question 1. Does the bike fit the rider?

> I think he wanted answers, not questions.

Check that the bike fits the rider.

Tomasso wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Tomasso wrote:
>>> "ODB" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> Question 1. Does the bike fit the rider?

>> I think he wanted answers, not questions.

> Check that the bike fits the rider.

You missed the question altogether didn't you. It's still there above....

Theo

I found out more - its a giant carbon composite bike with ultegra - 1999.

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I am sure the bike would generally be fine and if it fits and you like
> it, that is all that counts. You should understand though as pointed
> out earlier, the groupset itself is quite expensive, as for the wheels,
> it depends on what mavic wheels they are if they are SSC or even Elite,
> I would worry about the quality of the frame... if your happy and
> comfortable with the purchase go for it, however the best thing I did
> was to SHOP around as much as possible and try as many as possible.
>

> The Double Zero Wrote:
>> I suggest that like any major purchase, you shop around, get advice from
>> different places, If you know any experienced people get someone to
>> check it out for you. As I said previously, the wheels and groupset
>> are good, I am just concerned about the frame. What is it made of?
>> Where is it made? How are the joins welded? Do they offer a good
>> warranty? etc....

> --
> MikeyOz

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tomasso wrote:

>>> I think he wanted answers, not questions.

>> Check that the bike fits the rider.

> You missed the question altogether didn't you. It's still there above....

It's not a good buy if the bike doesn't fit the rider.

$2K would buy the groupset and rims and maybe pedals and seatpost.
But assembled bikes are better value than buying parts (unless you know
someone). You see Learsport bikes around with 105 components and
Alu frames that look respectable under $1K.

If the bike fits (and if you want top end components), it's good value.

I have one bike with Ultegra and Durace components and Zipp wheels. Nice
ride (Lemond Zurich 853 steel frame). The bike fits very well

I have another with a local built Tange frame ($240 unpainted in 1999), velocity
rims ($140 the pair with generic hubs) and canti brakes, drop bars and some
old suntour cyclone and LS pro derailleurs. It also has a nice ride and fits well.
Feels slightly slower, but not much. Weight difference is about 1.2Kg. I have
some used by not abused 105 derailleurs and shifters to go on it which might
take that to 1.6Kg. Also it has an original Terry 'male' seat.

First bike maybe $5K all up. Second bike maybe $600. Both loved and they don't
fight for attention.

And both fit the rider.

T.

"ODB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>I found out more - its a giant carbon composite bike with ultegra - 1999.
>

> "MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I am sure the bike would generally be fine and if it fits and you like
>> it, that is all that counts. You should understand though as pointed
>> out earlier, the groupset itself is quite expensive, as for the wheels,
>> it depends on what mavic wheels they are if they are SSC or even Elite,
>> I would worry about the quality of the frame... if your happy and
>> comfortable with the purchase go for it, however the best thing I did
>> was to SHOP around as much as possible and try as many as possible.
>>

>> The Double Zero Wrote:
>>> I suggest that like any major purchase, you shop around, get advice from
>>> different places, If you know any experienced people get someone to
>>> check it out for you. As I said previously, the wheels and groupset
>>> are good, I am just concerned about the frame. What is it made of?
>>> Where is it made? How are the joins welded? Do they offer a good
>>> warranty? etc....

OCR? Which number (1, 2 or 3). 1999 makes it old, but if new, and if you want
to ride it (rather than sell it as a vintage), AND IF IT FITS... ...maybe I'd buy it.

Depends on the colour.

Compare: http://www.lygoncycles.com.au/specials.html

Tomasso said:
"ODB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>I found out more - its a giant carbon composite bike with ultegra - 1999.
>

> "MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I am sure the bike would generally be fine and if it fits and you like
>> it, that is all that counts. You should understand though as pointed
>> out earlier, the groupset itself is quite expensive, as for the wheels,
>> it depends on what mavic wheels they are if they are SSC or even Elite,
>> I would worry about the quality of the frame... if your happy and
>> comfortable with the purchase go for it, however the best thing I did
>> was to SHOP around as much as possible and try as many as possible.
>>

>> The Double Zero Wrote:
>>> I suggest that like any major purchase, you shop around, get advice from
>>> different places, If you know any experienced people get someone to
>>> check it out for you. As I said previously, the wheels and groupset
>>> are good, I am just concerned about the frame. What is it made of?
>>> Where is it made? How are the joins welded? Do they offer a good
>>> warranty? etc....

Compare: http://www.lygoncycles.com.au/specials.html
A Giant Carbon composite bike from 1999, that's a bit unusual I wouldn't think that carbon was too prolific 8 years ago. I would be more confident in purchasing a more recent model. But again I have not seen the bike to give a fair judgement.

The Double Zero said:
A Giant Carbon composite bike from 1999, that's a bit unusual I wouldn't think that carbon was too prolific 8 years ago. I would be more confident in purchasing a more recent model. But again I have not seen the bike to give a fair judgement.
I assumed 1999 was the price. If it's the 2006 OCR Comp, $1999 is the lowest price I have seen. If it's the equivalent spec from 2007 then it's a REALLY good price.

Tomasso wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote

>> You missed the question altogether didn't you. It's still there
>> above....

<snip stuff>

> If the bike fits (and if you want top end components), it's good
> value.

<snip more stuff>

Finally, you answered the question, though it was almost lost in there.
Congratulations.

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tomasso wrote:
>> Theo Bekkers wrote

>>> You missed the question altogether didn't you. It's still there
>>> above....

> <snip stuff>
>
>> If the bike fits (and if you want top end components), it's good
>> value.

> <snip more stuff>
>
> Finally, you answered the question, though it was almost lost in there.
> Congratulations.
>
> Theo

Theng kew for your kind assistance.