Saw Levi Leipheimer yesterday

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dan, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. On 16 Apr 2006 14:55:50 -0700, "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >He raced in the Copperopolis Road Race on 4-15-2006

    Masters or P-1-2?

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  2. John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > On 16 Apr 2006 14:55:50 -0700, "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >He raced in the Copperopolis Road Race on 4-15-2006

    > Masters or P-1-2?

    Levi isn't old enough - Masters starts at 35+ in Copperopolis,
    like most Norcal races. Is it discrimination against 30-34
    year olds? Or a reflection of the way Californians even more
    so than the rest of the US put a claim on eternal youthfulness,
    so that 30 year olds refuse to admit they are over the hill?
    You tell me.

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

  4. Dan

    Dan Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > On 16 Apr 2006 14:55:50 -0700, "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >He raced in the Copperopolis Road Race on 4-15-2006

    > Masters or P-1-2?
    >
    > JT
    >
    > ****************************
    > Remove "remove" to reply
    > Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    > ****************************

    He was with P-1-2 but I think it was just a training ride. He had a SRM
    powermeter mounted on the bike.
    http://www.srm.de/
    Boy, those things are pricey.

  5. >
    > He was with P-1-2 but I think it was just a training ride. He had a SRM
    > powermeter mounted on the bike.
    > http://www.srm.de/
    > Boy, those things are pricey.

    Riis won Amstel one year with one of those on his bike.....

  6. alan_atwood

    alan_atwood Guest

    He can't race Masters.....he's a UCI Elite rider because he's part of a
    Pro Tour team; and as such is not allowed to compete in Masters races.

    Alan

  7. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > He raced in the Copperopolis Road Race on 4-15-2006

    Were you racing? Did he tell you to "get dropped"?

  8. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  9. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    > > He raced in the Copperopolis Road Race on 4-15-2006

    > Were you racing? Did he tell you to "get dropped"?

    I considered racing, brought the bike and togs but managed to wuss out.
    When I come up with a good excuse for this (forgot to shave my legs?),
    I will post it. Maybe I would have raced if there was a masters cat
    Fred to sign up for. I worked the feed zone and took the photos.

    I don't follow this group and I suspect your question may be related to
    a poor relationship between amatuers and the pros. Do the pros or Levi
    in particular, tell mere mortals to "get dropped?" He appeared to be
    friendly with the riders when with them.

    I didn't see him socializing but he did thank the lady who gave him a
    water bottle. My kid had hoped to say hi to him but couldn't find him
    after the race.

  10. Dan wrote:
    > Robert Chung wrote:

    > > Were you racing? Did he tell you to "get dropped"?

    > I don't follow this group and I suspect your question may be related to
    > a poor relationship between amatuers and the pros. Do the pros or Levi
    > in particular, tell mere mortals to "get dropped?" He appeared to be
    > friendly with the riders when with them.

    Read this world-famous-for-RBR story:

    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/browse_frm/thread/f276d7df0ad617a1/4c083252c3a71c9e#4c083252c3a71c9e>

    That's where it comes from. It's not a pro/amateur insult.

  11. Dan

    Dan Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    > > Robert Chung wrote:

    > > > Were you racing? Did he tell you to "get dropped"?

    > > I don't follow this group and I suspect your question may be related to
    > > a poor relationship between amatuers and the pros. Do the pros or Levi
    > > in particular, tell mere mortals to "get dropped?" He appeared to be
    > > friendly with the riders when with them.

    > Read this world-famous-for-RBR story:
    >
    > <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/browse_frm/thread/f276d7df0ad617a1/4c083252c3a71c9e#4c083252c3a71c9e>
    >
    > That's where it comes from. It's not a pro/amateur insult.

    Thanks, where I come from we say "sh** or get off the pot."

    It was pretty cool to see how the big leagues compare to the bush
    leagues.
    He did a 22 mile lap in about 57 min riding pretty much alone on rough
    roads.

  12. [email protected] wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    > > Robert Chung wrote:

    > > > Were you racing? Did he tell you to "get dropped"?

    > > I don't follow this group and I suspect your question may be related to
    > > a poor relationship between amatuers and the pros. Do the pros or Levi
    > > in particular, tell mere mortals to "get dropped?" He appeared to be
    > > friendly with the riders when with them.

    > Read this world-famous-for-RBR story:
    >
    > <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/browse_frm/thread/f276d7df0ad617a1/4c083252c3a71c9e#4c083252c3a71c9e>
    >
    > That's where it comes from. It's not a pro/amateur insult.

    Benjo,

    Thanks to you and Chung for the stroll down memory lane.... I don't
    see the bike near as much as I would like. I am completely exhausted
    with University and work committments these days. I did have a
    conversation a few months ago with an old friend after one of my "long"
    rides of 2hrs when we met for lunch after the ride. it went sorta like
    this...
    him: why were you so quiet on the bike today?
    me: I was just thinking about some things.
    him: like what?
    me: just racing and stuff.
    him: oh, are you gonna race this year?
    me: no, well maybe
    him: oh, you were thinking about when you raced?
    me: yep, I came to a realization today.
    him: yeah?
    me: I realized that I will never again be able to do what I used to on
    the bike.

    at this point I quietly finished my beer and pedaled home....

    thanks for the memories guys,
    jason

  13. Dan wrote:
    > Thanks, where I come from we say "sh** or get off the pot."

    In rbr it's SHIT OR GET OFF THE POT!!!1!11!!! but only if you're fat.

    > He did a 22 mile lap in about 57 min riding pretty much alone on rough
    > roads.

    So he WAS just training!

    --
    E. Dronkert

  14. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Thanks, where I come from we say "sh** or get off the pot."

    Oddly enough that has also already been covered in rbr.

  15. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Jason Waddell wrote:

    > me: yep, I came to a realization today.
    > him: yeah?
    > me: I realized that I will never again be able to do what I used to on
    > the bike.

    I had a vaguely similar moment a few years ago when I realized that it was
    unlikely I would ever again be able to do what I used to do with Kristin
    and Karen, the twin gymnasts.

  16. "Dan" <[email protected]> writes:
    > I considered racing, brought the bike and togs but managed to wuss out.
    > When I come up with a good excuse for this (forgot to shave my legs?),
    > I will post it. Maybe I would have raced if there was a masters cat
    > Fred to sign up for. I worked the feed zone and took the photos.

    I am a master cat fred and I raced and I got dropped, but it was still
    epic.

    > I didn't see him socializing but he did thank the lady who gave him a
    > water bottle. My kid had hoped to say hi to him but couldn't find him
    > after the race.

    I saw him after the race, chatting with Ben Jacques-Mayne. I walked up to
    him, interrupted, grabbed his hand and shook it and said "Glad you're
    here." Yeah, I'm a knob. But it was cool to see him racing there. Last year
    Zabriskie raced it, took 2nd to a local guy.

    Coppperopolis is an epic race. It doesn't suit me but I still love it.

    Morgan
    --
    Morgan Fletcher, [email protected] Oakland, CA, USA

  17. Robert Chung wrote:

    > Jason Waddell wrote:
    >
    >> me: yep, I came to a realization today.
    >> him: yeah?
    >> me: I realized that I will never again be able to do what I used to
    >> on the bike.

    > I had a vaguely similar moment a few years ago when I realized that it
    > was unlikely I would ever again be able to do what I used to do with
    > Kristin and Karen, the twin gymnasts.

    And now, due to the benefits of the new rbr virtual nailing life's
    worth scoring system, you don't have to!

    --
    Bill Asher

  18. h squared

    h squared Guest

    Jason Waddell wrote:

    > him: oh, you were thinking about when you raced?
    > me: yep, I came to a realization today.
    > him: yeah?
    > me: I realized that I will never again be able to do what I used to on
    > the bike.
    >
    > at this point I quietly finished my beer and pedaled home....

    waddell, you wrote a good post :) my reply is retarded, but i'm female
    and irrational, so everyone can just pretend to read it and then pat me
    on the head and tell me i look pretty when i'm talking nonsense..

    anyway, i remember once a year or two ago i was out running and
    listening to the radio and there was a line from a goofy pop song that
    said, "by the time i recognize this moment, this moment will be gone..."
    and it made me think of the last race i had done where i was as good as
    i was ever going to be.

    i had no idea on that last race day that i wouldn't race ever again or
    that i was only a year away from middle aged fat ass. i thought i had
    hundreds of more moments like that coming my way, but it turned out to
    be the last one of its kind for me. no big deal in the grand scheme of
    things :) but still, i liked your post.

    heather