Saw Levi Leipheimer yesterday

Jason Waddell wrote:
> Benjo,
>
> Thanks to you and Chung for the stroll down memory lane.... I don't
> see the bike near as much as I would like. I am completely exhausted
> with University and work committments these days. I did have a
> conversation a few months ago with an old friend after one of my "long"
> rides of 2hrs when we met for lunch after the ride. it went sorta like
> this...
> him: why were you so quiet on the bike today?
> me: I was just thinking about some things.
> him: like what?
> me: just racing and stuff.
> him: oh, are you gonna race this year?
> me: no, well maybe
> him: oh, you were thinking about when you raced?
> me: yep, I came to a realization today.
> him: yeah?
> me: I realized that I will never again be able to do what I used to on
> the bike.
>
> at this point I quietly finished my beer and pedaled home....
>
> thanks for the memories guys,
> jason

Cap'n Waddle,
Thanks to you for posting it in the first place.

I know (a little) about school and work wearing you out.
Look at it this way, I also may never again be able to do what
I used to do on the bike - and I sucked to begin with.

Even if your long ride is 2 hours, at least you are riding it
and enjoying it. There are burned out guys out there who
never look at the bike again. You have your head and
your integrity intact. Plus, you can drink a beer after the
ride and not have to weigh your oatmeal and **** like that.
There's something to be said for not weighing your oatmeal.

Ben
I hope nobody posting to RBR has ever actually weighed
their oatmeal, but you never know.

> ...it made me think of the last race i had done where i was as good as
> i was ever going to be.

The reason I took up crack-potting is because I can always do better
today than I did yesterday.

> Jason Waddell wrote:
>> Benjo,
>>
>> Thanks to you and Chung for the stroll down memory lane.... I don't
>> see the bike near as much as I would like. I am completely exhausted
>> with University and work committments these days. I did have a
>> conversation a few months ago with an old friend after one of my "long"
>> rides of 2hrs when we met for lunch after the ride. it went sorta like
>> this...
>> him: why were you so quiet on the bike today?
>> me: I was just thinking about some things.
>> him: like what?
>> me: just racing and stuff.
>> him: oh, are you gonna race this year?
>> me: no, well maybe
>> him: oh, you were thinking about when you raced?
>> me: yep, I came to a realization today.
>> him: yeah?
>> me: I realized that I will never again be able to do what I used to on
>> the bike.
>>
>> at this point I quietly finished my beer and pedaled home....
>>
>> thanks for the memories guys,
>> jason

That's not so bad. You are probably at your peak in school
and work It's bad when you look back and realize you will
never be able to do what you used to in school and work.
The bike stuff is just candy.

Dave

> Ben
> I hope nobody posting to RBR has ever actually weighed
> their oatmeal, but you never know.

umm. yesss. only unbalanced obsessive types would do something like
that. i'm sure there aren't any of those kinds on rbr.

i don't weigh my oatmeal, but i measured out my breakfast cereal (1 cup)
only just this morning. i count out my corn chips (baked not fried, 18
to a serving). and it ain't because i'm trying to enhance my
performance, trust me :)

but your point to jason is a good one- i'm just owning up.
heather (aka 6.32455532 squared)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:35:39 -0700,
h squared <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jason Waddell wrote:
>
>> him: oh, you were thinking about when you raced?
>> me: yep, I came to a realization today.
>> him: yeah?
>> me: I realized that I will never again be able to do what I used to on
>> the bike.
>>
>> at this point I quietly finished my beer and pedaled home....

> waddell, you wrote a good post :) my reply is retarded, but i'm female
> and irrational, so everyone can just pretend to read it and then pat me
> on the head and tell me i look pretty when i'm talking nonsense..
>
> anyway, i remember once a year or two ago i was out running and
> listening to the radio and there was a line from a goofy pop song that
> said, "by the time i recognize this moment, this moment will be gone..."
> and it made me think of the last race i had done where i was as good as
> i was ever going to be.
>
> i had no idea on that last race day that i wouldn't race ever again or
> that i was only a year away from middle aged fat ass. i thought i had
> hundreds of more moments like that coming my way, but it turned out to
> be the last one of its kind for me.

No nonsense. A fitting response to an excellent post.

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise <[email protected]> Bloomington, IN, USA

h squared wrote:
> anyway, i remember once a year or two ago i was out running and
> listening to the radio and there was a line from a goofy pop song that
> said, "by the time i recognize this moment, this moment will be gone..."
> and it made me think of the last race i had done where i was as good as
> i was ever going to be.
>
> i had no idea on that last race day that i wouldn't race ever again or
> that i was only a year away from middle aged fat ass. i thought i had
> hundreds of more moments like that coming my way, but it turned out to
> be the last one of its kind for me. no big deal in the grand scheme of
> things :) but still, i liked your post.

So why don't you swallow your pride and blow your savings on a Trek in
Dicovery colours with matching Discovery jersey and bib and become a fatty
master. Unless of course blue doesn't go with blonde ?

h squared wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

> > I hope nobody posting to RBR has ever actually weighed
> > their oatmeal, but you never know.

> umm. yesss. only unbalanced obsessive types would do something like
> that. i'm sure there aren't any of those kinds on rbr.
>
> i don't weigh my oatmeal, but i measured out my breakfast cereal (1 cup)
> only just this morning. i count out my corn chips (baked not fried, 18
> to a serving). and it ain't because i'm trying to enhance my
> performance, trust me :)
>
> but your point to jason is a good one- i'm just owning up.
> heather (aka 6.32455532 squared)

I was going to verbally slap you upside the head for
this, but then remembered the time a friend yelled
at me for taking three weeks to eat a Cadbury chocolate
bar, two squares a day, and I thought I probably didn't
have the standing to say anything.

Ben
You can't spell astrocdphysicist
without "OCD".

Heather,

The other day I was running on the deck of the Riverboat and a little
bird landed right in front of me. Right there on the deck of the
Riverboat. It was a bluebird. It stared at me there in my charcoal
grey sweatpants and black sweatshirt and cap. And to be honest, it
seemed like it's look was slightly disdainful as if to say "Hey, you're
one year away from middle aged you know what." Well, I like to keep
myself fit as can be. You could easily bounce a quarter off of my abs
and I must say that quarter'd fly high because I spend a lot of time on
the Riverboat doing sit ups and crunches. I looked at that little bird
and I got down to it's eye level right there on the Riverboat and I
said to him, I said "Lookie here little birdie, I'm keeping myself
fit, I'm doing my dad gum best to take care of myself. Why the disdain
in that countenance of yours?" He simply looked at me, pooped on the
deck and flew away. Now, I don't want any jokes about **** decks right
now but my point is that life isn't really about abs or performance -
it's really about what's in your head and your heart. In the grand
scheme of things, as you say, that's all that really matters.

Good Ol' Artemus Brown
Making the world a whole lot brighter...one post at a time.