Saw my first Segway.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jon Isaacs, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    On my ride to work this morning I had three firsts:

    1. Saw a Segway for the first time, the guy was riding it on an empty sidewalk. Basically it looks
    like someone riding one of the old push type lawn mowers. Worked quite well on a sidewalk that
    was 15 feet wide, nice and smooth and had no pedestrians or other vehicles. My guess is that
    were there much of a concentration of Segways, collisions would abound.

    2. Had a flat this morning. When replacing the tube, instead of putting in a new tube, I put the
    old tube back in. Had the tire buttoned up and was ready to pump it up but I kept wondering
    where the old tube was. I was looking around for the old tube and realized I had put it back in
    the tire.......

    3. First time to use a dollar bill as a boot. I hit something pretty hard and it cut the sidewall
    causing the tube to blow out. It got me to work but I am going to change the tire before I ride
    that bike home.

    jon

    Tags:

  2. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Jon Isaacs wrote:

    > 2. Had a flat this morning. When replacing the tube, instead of putting in a new tube, I put the
    > old tube back in. Had the tire buttoned up and was ready to pump it up but I kept wondering
    > where the old tube was. I was looking around for the old tube and realized I had put it back
    > in the tire.......

    I believe that qualifies you for membership in Densa. As soon as I remove a punctured tube, I tie a
    knot in it. Mounting a knotted tube is much more difficult.

  3. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jon Isaacs wrote: I believe that qualifies you for membership in Densa. As soon as I remove a
    > punctured tube, I tie a knot in it. Mounting a knotted tube is much more difficult.
    > --
    > terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

    Don't listen to him Jon. I've done it several times and surely if it can happen to me, a most gifted
    intellectual....ahh, ferget it!! We're Densa members!!!

    Cheers,

    Scott...

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > On my ride to work this morning I had three firsts:
    >
    > 1. Saw a Segway for the first time, the guy was riding it
    on an empty
    > sidewalk. Basically it looks like someone riding one of
    the old push type lawn
    > mowers. Worked quite well on a sidewalk that was 15 feet
    wide, nice and smooth
    > and had no pedestrians or other vehicles. My guess is
    that were there much of
    > a concentration of Segways, collisions would abound.

    That's what it looks like to me. Segways are too wide. There's more than one reason scooters have
    traditionally been single-track designs.

    > 2. Had a flat this morning. When replacing the tube,
    instead of putting in a
    > new tube, I put the old tube back in. Had the tire
    buttoned up and was ready
    > to pump it up but I kept wondering where the old tube was.
    I was looking around
    > for the old tube and realized I had put it back in the
    tire.......

    See, you were never meant to be a surgeon anyway...

    > 3. First time to use a dollar bill as a boot. I hit
    something pretty hard and
    > it cut the sidewall causing the tube to blow out. It got
    me to work but I am
    > going to change the tire before I ride that bike home.

    Tyvek envelopes are incredibly strong, and make great boot material. I've used them a couple of
    times. Duct tape works fine too, at least on a mountain bike tire.

    Matt O.

  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Oh! Oh! Oh! Can I be a Densa memeber too? I didn't put a punctured tube back in, but I was working
    on a computer assembly and put a chip in upside down. What's worse is that it took me a lot of
    troubleshooting time to find
    it. One the upside, I'd done a very nice soldering job.

    --

    alan

    Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

  6. Matt O'Toole wrote:

    "Tyvek envelopes are incredibly strong, and make great boot material. I've used them a couple of
    times. Duct tape works fine too, at least on a mountain bike tire.

    Matt O."

    I use the denim patches available at any supermarket. Stronger than Tyvek, less stretchy than
    duct tape (although that can be used to hold it in place) and that dollar bill will usually buy
    about ten!

  7. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

  8. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

  9. Barry Gaudet

    Barry Gaudet Guest

    Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

    : http://www.densa.org/

    : [Web site loads slowly, so be patient]

    It would have to, wouldn't it?

    --
    'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

  10. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Terry Morse wrote:
    > alan wrote:
    >

    >>Oh! Oh! Oh! Can I be a Densa memeber too?
    >

    > Take the test here and see for yourself:
    >
    > http://www.densa.org/
    >
    > [Web site loads slowly, so be patient]

    LOL! I couldn't wait long enough. I must be ADHD besides!

  11. On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:00:28 +0000, Terry Morse wrote:

    > alan wrote:
    >
    >> Oh! Oh! Oh! Can I be a Densa memeber too?
    >
    > Take the test here and see for yourself:
    >
    > http://www.densa.org/
    >
    > [Web site loads slowly, so be patient]

    Cute

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can _`\(,_ | assure you that mine
    are all greater. -- A. Einstein (_)/ (_) |

  12. Actually, it loads pretty fast. I mean, look at the source code:

    <HTML>

    <HEAD> <TITLE>densa</TITLE> <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Arachnophilia 3.4"> <META
    NAME="FORMATTER" CONTENT="Arachnophilia 3.4"> </HEAD>

    <BODY BACKGROUND="" BGCOLOR="#000000" TEXT="#000000" LINK="#0000ff" VLINK="#0000ff" ALINK="#ff0000">

    </BODY>

    </HTML>

    In article <[email protected]>, Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

    > alan wrote:
    >
    > > Oh! Oh! Oh! Can I be a Densa memeber too?
    >
    > Take the test here and see for yourself:
    >
    > http://www.densa.org/
    >
    > [Web site loads slowly, so be patient]
    > --
    > terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

  13. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Leonard Migliore wrote:

    > Actually, it loads pretty fast. I mean, look at the source code:

    You must already be a Densa member.