Saw-tooth drives

Everyone is familiar with normal chain and sprocket drives:
http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/AntiquePhotos/tall-geared_Russian.jpg

And most of us have seen ordinary shaft drives:
http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle399.htm

There are also treadle drives of various kinds:
http://i9.tinypic.com/4taqys4.jpg
http://www.automag.be/IMG/jpg/Levocyclette.jpg

Some bikes connect the front and rear sprockets with an intermediate
sprocket:
http://i12.tinypic.com/49j06bk.jpg

***

But I haven't seen the following two oddball drives in Sharp's
"Bicycles & Tricycles" or the early part of Berto's "Dancing Chain."
Nor could I turn them up in a quick look through some old photo
galleries. Probably they can be found in some more obscure books.

***

For lack of a better term, I think of this first design as a sawtooth
drive.

Here's a single sawtooth drive:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=uSksAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=618691

And here's a pair of double sawtooth drives, both from the same unsung
genius:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=fHNhAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=609498
http://www.google.com/patents?id=thFjAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=610157

And another double sawtooth:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=tgx2AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=642013

The eqquivalent of a chain guard seems like a good idea.

***

I think of this related saw-tooth design as a bottle-opener drive:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=GBBaAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=512538

***

I'd love to find photos of such beasts, or even a modern bicycle that
uses a long row of saw-teeth.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Jan 29, 2:28 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> For lack of a better term, I think of this first design as a sawtooth
> drive.

"Direct pull ratchet" comes to my mind as a term. With teeth that
size, they'd likely sound like one of those wooden cheerleading
ratchets of days gone by.

On Jan 29, 2:28 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Everyone is familiar with normal chain and sprocket drives:
>  http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/AntiquePhotos/tall-geared_Russian.jpg
>
> And most of us have seen ordinary shaft drives:
>  http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle399.htm
>
> There are also treadle drives of various kinds:
>  http://i9.tinypic.com/4taqys4.jpg
>  http://www.automag.be/IMG/jpg/Levocyclette.jpg
>
> Some bikes connect the front and rear sprockets with an intermediate
> sprocket:
>  http://i12.tinypic.com/49j06bk.jpg
>
> ***
>
> But I haven't seen the following two oddball drives in Sharp's
> "Bicycles & Tricycles" or the early part of Berto's "Dancing Chain."
> Nor could I turn them up in a quick look through some old photo
> galleries. Probably they can be found in some more obscure books.
>
> ***
>
> For lack of a better term, I think of this first design as a sawtooth
> drive.
>
> Here's a single sawtooth drive:
>  http://www.google.com/patents?id=uSksAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=618691
>
> And here's a pair of double sawtooth drives, both from the same unsung
> genius:
>  http://www.google.com/patents?id=fHNhAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=609498
>  http://www.google.com/patents?id=thFjAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=610157
>
> And another double sawtooth:
>  http://www.google.com/patents?id=tgx2AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=642013
>
> The eqquivalent of a chain guard seems like a good idea.
>
> ***
>
> I think of this related saw-tooth design as a bottle-opener drive:
>  http://www.google.com/patents?id=GBBaAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=512538
>
> ***
>
> I'd love to find photos of such beasts, or even a modern bicycle that
> uses a long row of saw-teeth.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Closest I can think of is the toy Evel Knievel motorcycle I had as a
kid. It came with a saw-toothed ripcord which was fed through the
fairings to the rear wheel's sprocket which, when pulled, launched
poor Evel into the walls.