Saxo Bank denies Schleck transfer rumours

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Looks like Lance will do anything to beat AC next year :D

cyclingnews.com said:
Both riders under contract until 2010

The Saxo Bank team has denied that its star rider, Andy Schleck, is in talks with Lance Armstrong's new RadioShack team. Spokesman Brian Nygaard told Cyclingnews on Tuesday that the rumour, reported by L'Equipe, was not true.

steve said:
Looks like Lance will do anything to beat AC next year :D
I think you what meant to say is, L'Equipe will do anything to sell a paper. Sad thing is alot of people bought the story.

If it did happen, which is highly unlikely, then Contador or Evans will move to Saxo Bank!

thebluetrain said:
I think you what meant to say is, L'Equipe will do anything to sell a paper. Sad thing is alot of people bought the story.
what has said Armstrong to the Schleck on Ventoux? What was he buying?

I hate to say it but it could be an astute move for the Schlecks. All they have to do is haul LA's old carcass around the T de F next year & in exchange they will have the support of a quality team packed with 'super domestiques' (say what you like about LA but he doesn't do things by half) for the giro / vuelta etc & they would be in a strong position to contest 2011.

gtm said:
I hate to say it but it could be an astute move for the Schlecks. All they have to do is haul LA's old carcass around the T de F next year & in exchange they will have the support of a quality team packed with 'super domestiques' (say what you like about LA but he doesn't do things by half) for the giro / vuelta etc & they would be in a strong position to contest 2011.

This could be a possibility, they'd just need to weigh up the downside of joining his team vs staying put.

Interesting idea.

I always assumed that the Schlecks and Riis were close and that their relationship would be on going.

Interesting

I heard something about this from a friend of mine but only as a rumor.
We also discussed the rationality of Kloden staying with Astana.
If Vino comes back it will be a hard comeback and Kloden could take the lead position if Vino doesn't perform but I guess this is material for another thread.

thebluetrain said:
As we have seen Armstrong is able to lie in his books too to sell them to a lot of people. :D

In my opinion, it would be bad move for A. Schleck. He'd spend (at least) one year labouring for Lance, with uncertain future. Riis is doing good job with him so far, so - why changing? And we (fans of the sport) should hope Andy will stay with Saxo... Armstrong, with his team; Contador with his; Andy also; Basso, Evans, Wiggins... Interesting season should be.

no go!

cyclingnews.com said:
Schleck brothers to stay at Saxo Bank
"There is no chance that Frank and Andy will move to Radio Shack," the former professional rider-turned-agent told French sports daily L'Equipe.

Having guided Andy and Fränk to second and fifth overall respectively in the recent Tour de France, Saxo Bank management has also weighed in to deny the pair is going to ride for anyone else next year.

"Both Andy and Frank have a contract until 2010 with us. They will be off contract and we even hope they will sign for us again," it said.

gtm said:

i'm with andrija on this question. it would benefit the schlecks very little to haul armstrong around for another tour in the expectation of their time to come. most of armstrong's super-domestiques and domestiques are also getting long in the tooth. additionally, something cyclingnews put out was lance's hope of splitting andy off from frank. but that just smacks of lance--you cannot be of divided loyalties around him.

The agent of the Schleck brothers, Frank and Andy, stated that there has been no contact regarding the Schleck brothers joining the Radio Shack team to be launched by Lance Armstrong, and attributed the rumors to an Armstrong strategy to discomfit Alberto Contador.

"There is no possibility of this happening. I have had no contact with Bruyneel. It is only a strategy to cause Contador to lose next year" said Giovanni Lombardi, personal agent of the two brothers to L'Equipe. . . . "Andy has seen clearly everything that Alberto Contador lived through in this year's Tour and nobody can imagine that he would willingly embroil himself in all that with the ambitions he has for next year, " said Lombardi.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3sKyP2WgQ"]YouTube - Frank en Andy Schleck op de koffie bij de Zjonnies[/ame]

Thanks Bears.

One quick question is the Schlecks manager the same Giovanni Lombardi who used to race with Cippo? (that GL was a great sprinter too)?

so lance and johan aren't the most popular boys at school? some folks in and out of the peloton think a.c. was done a disservice? somebody get a pillow for bluetrain to lie down on.

lucybears said:
The agent of the Schleck brothers, Frank and Andy, stated that there has been no contact regarding the Schleck brothers joining the Radio Shack team to be launched by Lance Armstrong, and attributed the rumors to an Armstrong strategy to discomfit Alberto Contador.

All teams and all agents will deny anything until whatever has been said not to be possible actually becomes possible and pops out in an anouncement when 'silly season' officially starts.

Noone wants to say anything now cause there's rules in place regarding approaching members of other teams before September 1st...