Say it ain't So-sa

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringion, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. goddam, the sports fans in this country are naive.

    Now they're saying, "oh my god, maybe he's taking performance enhancing drugs too!"

    dude looks like he's been shooting up with HGH since puberty. His facial features are almost
    cartoonish.

    No drug testing, tens of millions of dollars in salary on the line.

    duh.

    Tags:

  2. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > goddam, the sports fans in this country are naive.
    >

    > Now they're saying, "oh my god, maybe he's taking performance enhancing drugs too!"
    >

    > dude looks like he's been shooting up with HGH since puberty. His facial features are almost
    > cartoonish.
    >

    > No drug testing, tens of millions of dollars in salary on the line.
    >
    > duh.

    At the lead in for Sportscenter yesterday they said this corked bat of Sammy's could well be the
    "story of the year". Interesting that the likely prospect of steroid use by a large percentage of
    players was not "the story of the year" a few months ago.

    -WG

  3. > goddam, the sports fans in this country are naive. Now they're saying, "oh my god, maybe he's
    > taking performance enhancing drugs too!" dude looks like he's been shooting up with HGH since
    > puberty. His facial features are almost cartoonish.

    > No drug testing, tens of millions of dollars in salary on the line.
    >
    > duh.

    Of course these professional athletes are on drugs. But many in this group will claim that the
    reason they are better than you and me is because they have a bigger heart. Sh*t on that, look
    in their medicene cabinet and you will find what's really propping up your hero.

  4. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    He said he'd never used a corked bat in a real game before. I actually believe him. Why would he
    need a corked bat? The steroids and HGH were more than enough.

  5. Brian Martin

    Brian Martin Guest

    Just a thought but maybe he was caught for something else and they gave him this chance to evade the
    other violation. That would explain why this is the only corked bat in his ownership.

    Brian

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > He said he'd never used a corked bat in a real game before. I actually believe him. Why would he
    > need a corked bat? The steroids and HGH were
    more
    > than enough.

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Actually it is all space aliens.

    "Brian Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just a thought but maybe he was caught for something else and they
    gave him
    > this chance to evade the other violation. That would explain why this is the only corked bat in
    > his ownership.
    >

    > Brian
    >
    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > He said he'd never used a corked bat in a real game before. I
    actually
    > > believe him. Why would he need a corked bat? The steroids and HGH
    were
    > more
    > > than enough.

  7. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Brian-<< Just a thought but maybe he was caught for something else and
    they
    > gave him this chance to evade the other violation.
    >
    > I think they gave him a few innings to get rid of his other corked bats,
    and
    > then made a small stink about the one, for 'Baseball'. It is kinda in
    trouble,
    > afterall...

    Declining attendance. Empty seats, even in brand-new ballparks.

    Kids don't play it as much anymore. They play soccer.

    It's just too slow-moving a game for the modern world. Great game for America, circa 1900-1950.

    America 2000-2050? Something Else.

    Memo to anyone who wins the Powerball Lottery: don't buy a baseball franchise.

  8. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Brian-<< Just a thought but maybe he was caught for something else and
    > they
    > > gave him this chance to evade the other violation.
    > >
    > > I think they gave him a few innings to get rid of his other corked bats,
    > and
    > > then made a small stink about the one, for 'Baseball'. It is kinda in
    > trouble,
    > > afterall...
    >

    > Declining attendance. Empty seats, even in brand-new ballparks.
    >
    > Kids don't play it as much anymore. They play soccer.
    >
    > It's just too slow-moving a game for the modern world. Great game for America, circa 1900-1950.
    >
    > America 2000-2050? Something Else.

    Don't tell the Seattle Mariner's fans that baseball isn't popular anymore.

    Ichiro and team are local hero's for the Washington state folk, and he's a damn good cyclist also.

    Dashii

  9. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Brian-<< Just a thought but maybe he was caught for something else and
    > they
    > > gave him this chance to evade the other violation.
    > >
    > > I think they gave him a few innings to get rid of his other corked bats,
    > and
    > > then made a small stink about the one, for 'Baseball'. It is kinda in
    > trouble,
    > > afterall...
    >

    > Declining attendance. Empty seats, even in brand-new ballparks.
    >
    > Kids don't play it as much anymore. They play soccer.
    >
    > It's just too slow-moving a game for the modern world. Great game for America, circa 1900-1950.
    >
    > America 2000-2050? Something Else.
    >

    > Memo to anyone who wins the Powerball Lottery: don't buy a baseball franchise.

    Nothing tugs at Americans' heart strings quite like baseball. I would buy a baseball team before
    any other.

    The fastest way to gain political clout in a city of more than 1 million inhabitants is to purchase
    the local pro sports team(s) (preferably major league if possible - MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, ...). I've
    seen it happen in smaller cities (eg, AAA, AHL).

    If I won the Powerball, and had political ambitions, but didn't want to soil myself with things like
    actually running for office, that's what I would do.

    You don't have to be the mayor of a city to call the shots (*cough*, public bonds, *cough*, ticket
    guarantee, *cough*). You've been around this town long enough to know that.

    As far as empty seats go, that's just an after-the-fact public relations issue; just give some
    nosebleed seats to some poor kids. Awwww, isn't that nice.

    -Gerard

  10. In article <[email protected]>, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Brian-<< Just a thought but maybe he was caught for something else and
    > > they
    > > > gave him this chance to evade the other violation.
    > > >
    > > > I think they gave him a few innings to get rid of his other corked bats,
    > > and
    > > > then made a small stink about the one, for 'Baseball'. It is kinda in
    > > trouble,
    > > > afterall...
    > >

    > > Declining attendance. Empty seats, even in brand-new ballparks.
    > >
    > > Kids don't play it as much anymore. They play soccer.
    > >
    > > It's just too slow-moving a game for the modern world. Great game for America, circa 1900-1950.
    > >
    > > America 2000-2050? Something Else.
    >
    > Don't tell the Seattle Mariner's fans that baseball isn't popular anymore.
    >
    > Ichiro and team are local hero's for the Washington state folk, and he's a damn good cyclist also.

    Hey, if it was a choice between watching the M's or the Seahawks, I'd pick Ichiro too, and I hate
    baseball and love football.

    Not the best example,

  11. "Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> writes:

    > > Memo to anyone who wins the Powerball Lottery: don't buy a baseball franchise.
    >
    > Nothing tugs at Americans' heart strings quite like baseball. I would buy a baseball team before
    > any other.
    >
    > The fastest way to gain political clout in a city of more than 1 million inhabitants is to
    > purchase the local pro sports team(s) (preferably major league if possible - MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL,
    > ...). I've seen it happen in smaller cities (eg, AAA, AHL).

    <snip>

    Ya, how about those franchises in Montreal and Florida?

    Baseball has long term problems. The attendance is going down.

    Not all franchises exhibit this malady, but in the long run, I think it'll decline, especially when
    the baby boomers get really old and the Gen X'ers grow up.

    I agree with your take about sports franchises blackmailing cities into buying stadiums for
    them, but I'd invest in any of the major sports before baseball. In today's fast moving world,
    it's too slow.

  12. Amit

    Amit Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > He said he'd never used a corked bat in a real game before. I actually believe him. Why would he
    > need a corked bat? The steroids and HGH were more than enough.

    Like so many other things (doping, training methods, diet) in sports I think the advantage of a
    corked bat is a myth.

    I guess the supposed advantage is that a lighter bat allows higher bat speed (?) (there's lots of
    stuff if you Google), but even this isn't a concensus.

    Robert Adair (who wrote "The Physics of Baseball") gave a talk at my school once and I asked him
    about corked bats and he said it wouldn't help and would probably hurt, citing several reasons. Plus
    I've seen a study which showed (at least some) hitters are swinging that bat so fast that a lighter
    bat couldn't be swung faster.

    Plus a corked bat is guaranteed to shatter.

    -Amit

  13. "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

    > > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > kurgan-<< I agree with your take about sports franchises blackmailing
    > > cities
    > > > into buying stadiums for them, but I'd invest in any of the major sports
    > before
    > > > baseball. In today's fast moving world, it's too slow.
    > > >
    > > > Don't agree it's too slow, it's called a 'pastime', afterall..I great
    > way
    > > > spend a summer afternoon...
    > > >
    > > > It's a game of inches and finesse...I love it...
    > >

    > > Sure, but what are you, a baby boomer?
    > >

    > > I'm talking about the future. Baseball is in long-term decline. It's
    > talked
    > > about on sports talk radio and the hosts, like you, are baseball fans.
    > >
    > > Baseball was king for your generation. The young people of today are
    more
    > > interested in other sports - basketball, football, xtreme sports.
    >
    > Football? I don't think so. Their fan base consists of a bunch of six pack swilling fat slobs
    > almost too lazy to get off of the couch to get another beer and bag of chips.

    There are plenty of six pack swilling, fat, young people.

  14. Amit

    Amit Guest

    "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%BREa.885466

    > Football? I don't think so. Their fan base consists of a bunch of six pack swilling fat slobs
    > almost too lazy to get off of the couch to get another beer and bag of chips.

    Yeah yeah, how about some more original stereotypes ? Football fans (and pretty much all sports
    fans) are men, but there are football fans in every demographic except maybe liberal nerds.

    -Amit

  15. Washington is also know for being super dreary (like baseball) and having the highest suicide (like
    me after wonder 9 painfully slow innings) maybe if they play baseball and you could try and hit the
    batter or some crap.

    Baseball has been crap ever since the strike.

    Bunch of winers, you've got Sosa saying it was an accident. What kind of crap is that. It's like the
    difference of picking a full bottle of water compared to a half full. You can feel it pickin' it up,
    you can sure as hell feel it swinging it.

    Put the little cuban or dominican republic alien back on raft (no doubt a cork raft would float)

    Rope

    "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Brian-<< Just a thought but maybe he was caught for something else and
    > > they
    > > > gave him this chance to evade the other violation.
    > > >
    > > > I think they gave him a few innings to get rid of his other corked
    bats,
    > > and
    > > > then made a small stink about the one, for 'Baseball'. It is kinda in
    > > trouble,
    > > > afterall...
    > >

    > > Declining attendance. Empty seats, even in brand-new ballparks.
    > >
    > > Kids don't play it as much anymore. They play soccer.
    > >
    > > It's just too slow-moving a game for the modern world. Great game for America, circa 1900-1950.
    > >
    > > America 2000-2050? Something Else.
    >
    > Don't tell the Seattle Mariner's fans that baseball isn't popular anymore.
    >
    > Ichiro and team are local hero's for the Washington state folk, and he's a damn good cyclist also.
    >
    > Dashii

  16. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Rope <-- Huh?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Washington is also know for being super dreary (like baseball) and having the highest suicide
    > (like me after wonder 9 painfully slow innings) maybe
    if
    > they play baseball and you could try and hit the batter or some crap.

    You are quite the dummy, aren't you!

    Washington state is ranked as 21st on the "State Suicide Rankings -2000", Alaska is #1.
    http://www.spanusa.org/pdf/2000statepg.pdf

    > Put the little cuban or dominican republic alien back on raft (no doubt a cork raft would float)

    You're a racist little bastard, what are you, other than dumb?

    Dashii

    > Rope
    >

    > "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > they

    > bats,
    > > > and
    > > > trouble,
    > > >

    > > > Declining attendance. Empty seats, even in brand-new ballparks.
    > > >
    > > > Kids don't play it as much anymore. They play soccer.
    > > >
    > > > It's just too slow-moving a game for the modern world. Great game for America, circa
    > > > 1900-1950.
    > > >
    > > > America 2000-2050? Something Else.
    > >
    > > Don't tell the Seattle Mariner's fans that baseball isn't popular
    anymore.

    > > Ichiro and team are local hero's for the Washington state folk, and he's
    > > damn good cyclist also.
    > >
    > > Dashii

  17. Other than dumb,

    I'm hung like a horse, able to leap tall buckets in a single, and faster than a speeding grandma

    And I'm not a racist, I didn't all people from so and so do this or that, or figures he would do
    that cuz he's from so and so. I guess you're right though, me being a native american married to an
    asian would make me racist, I forgot.

    Dumbass,

    Rope

  18. "Rope <-- Huh?" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I guess you're right though, me being a native american married to an asian would make me
    racist,
    > I forgot.

    I'm not calling you a racist, but being a minority does not mean one cannot be a racist. There are
    racists in every ethnic, religious and gender group.

  19. completely agree - anyone can be a racist or discriminatory.

    Your thought reminds of a number of years ago (like 10 or something) on the MTV real world show in
    New York (I think the first or second one when it was an original idea) of the black guy Kevin
    calling this girl a racist, he was actually the one being a racist, but he was claiming how he
    couldn't be a racist because he was black. Like that precluded him from being a racist. Completely
    inane thought process.

    Anyway - a bicycle racing forum --> Baseball --> Racism dissection

    Rope

    > "Rope <-- Huh?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I guess you're right though, me being a native american married to an asian would make me
    > racist,
    > > I forgot.
    > >

    > I'm not calling you a racist, but being a minority does not mean one
    cannot
    > be a racist. There are racists in every ethnic, religious and gender
    group.

  20. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Rope <-- Huh?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Other than dumb,
    >
    > I'm hung like a horse, able to leap tall buckets in a single, and faster than a speeding grandma
    >
    > And I'm not a racist, I didn't all people from so and so do this or that,
    or
    > figures he would do that cuz he's from so and so. I guess you're right though, me being a native
    > american married to an asian would make me
    racist,
    > I forgot.

    I see you didn't deny being a bastard though! <G>

    Dashii