SBS lied to TDF fans about its coverage

jcjordan

New Member
Apr 5, 2004
I abhor dishonesty and in the case of SBS’s TDF coverage it hurts even more as I always considered that SBS always held itself higher standard of production.

SBS stated that they were going to show all stages in full and for the final two stages they did not hold to this promise; they repetitively, especially during key parts of the final stage went to the cricket. Add this to its incompetent placement of ad breaks you can only say that they reach very low point of honesty and professionalism.

In the past I have always purchased the SBS highlights DVD to help encourage the ongoing showing of cycling on SBS, but not this year. I would also encourage everyone else who feels the same to do the same to help reinforcement of our opinion to SBS management. Although the other providers of DVD’s do not have some of the Australian focus they quite often have more overall content.

jeez, it wasn't perfect, but I'll take what ever I can get

I'll take a half-ass production (not that it was half-ass) over nothing anyday.

531Aussie said:
jeez, it wasn't perfect, but I'll take what ever I can get

I'll take a half-ass production (not that it was half-ass) over nothing anyday.

i agree.

i do think they should get feedback too tho; good and bad

Good:
far more time/race shown than previous years. Seeing the last 2-3 hours lead up to the finishline gives you a far better appreciation of the TdF, rather than the final 15mins. This ALMOST outweighs all sins, but...

Bad:

Gabriel Gate. refer all relevant posts

Appalling timing on some occassions. Ad breaks and crossovers to cricket.
Even commercial stations can do better than that!

Months ago SBS stated "We will show every kilometre of every stage". Cmon guys. i dont think we believed it to begin with, why say it?

Tommalaris' shirts!!! stop frightening the children!$@#! :D

before/after every adbreak does NOT need a 10-15 second repetitive graphic/tune to tell us we are watching a programme most of us have stayed up for, for 3 weeks straight! add all them 10-15 seconds up and you have missed alot of cycling

The cricket scenario. We were led to believe otherwise!
If you print when you will show each event, do it! staying up late and getting stiffed can produce some every irate callers indeed.grrrrr

If you can insert a little rectangle into the TdF pick to show the cricket, why not the other way round??? and test cricket is 95% of bowler walking back to mark and commentators waffling (not that the TdF doesnt have waffling...)

Gabriel Gate!

Apaprt from that SBS should be commended on their attempts. Look at the improvement over previous years. Hopefully in future years they can step up further (without Gabriel Gate)

F"resuming normal sleep patterns"Dutch

First time in 4 years I missed the end of the TDF.
The cricket came on & I lost all my motivation to stay up [for a slight chance at some more TDF coverage] so I went to bed.

I hope in the next few weeks I don't go to any of those parties where there might be a collection of shaven legged & skuffed elbowed fellows waxing lyrical about that final moment when Lance cross the line on that last day, or the bunch spirit for the final stage, as I certainly will feel left out. :(

Marx SS said:
First time in 4 years I missed the end of the TDF.
The cricket came on & I lost all my motivation to stay up [for a slight chance at some more TDF coverage] so I went to bed.

I hope in the next few weeks I don't go to any of those parties where there might be a collection of shaven legged & skuffed elbowed fellows waxing lyrical about that final moment when Lance cross the line on that last day, or the bunch spirit for the final stage, as I certainly will feel left out. :(
I [posted at SBS Cycling Central forums in response to this guy choatus as below his quote:

"choatus" said:
The Ashes takes over and so it should!!!!
yeah, but in its place, not as SBS have done with the first test...they had a prior commitment to the Tour de France, a much bigger world wide event than the Ashes can ever hope to subscribe to be....and during the over-lap of the end of the Tour and the First Ashes test of just three days it made sense to tape the Ashes and have highlights or delayed telecasts straight after the Tour coverage.... BUT no, we got disjointed fractured coverage of both with a strong emphasis on boring studio commentary and ads for hair replacement by cricket hasbeens....
The Tour this year had huge significance for Australia, a record number of Ozzie riders, three stage victories already, two riders vying in the final stage for the Green jersey, and oh yeah some guy called Armstrong just happened to be about to claim an unheard of super human effort beyond the imagination of any of the criketers at Lords of 7 consecutive Tour wins.....7, in the hardest most grueling challenging human endeavour known, in the world's largest annual sporting event.....
Cricket??? what is that...some kind of insect...in comparison to the Tour, it most certainly is..... and I grew up playing cricket since I was two....I have watched every Ashes series televised and gone along to the SCG and MCG whenever I could... but on this occasion, in doesnt rank even close to what the Tour is, what the Tour means, and the Spectacle it delivers to us.
Vivé leTour...... in 2006 SBS, please get it right...we make a committment to you to watch the show you promise to deliver, you broke your committment to show it to us as promised again and again.
Your program schedulers/controllers need sacking or at least have nothing to do ever again with the Tour and its airtime planning and delivery to us..., hopefully next year you'll get it right....
meantime well done, Stuart, Matty, Alan, Simon, Brad, Baden, Robbie, Cadel, Luke, Michael...... huge effort from all of you to finish the tour, as great ambassadors for Australia, you rode 3800+ kilometers HUGE....oh and Lance and his team, Jan, Ivan, Vino, Rassmussen , Tricky, Big George, Floyd, and all the others who braved this magical and arduous event....you guys are amazing and deserve greater respect from SBS for what they did to you on stages 19, 20 & 21.....
Cycling is more than an event, more than just sport, it is a lifestyle choice that can enhance and enrich mans presence on earth, it is wholesome, ecologically sound and delivers to more of mankind in so many ways that those followers of cricket could never understand...and from an Australian perspective it delivers huge benfits to our communities daily, much more than cricket can ever seek to do.... I personally love the swack of red leather on the willow, but I put it in perspective...it isnt in the class of cycling, never will be and that is all that can be said.....
* A moment of silence for those riders who arn't with us RIP*

go to www.sbs.com.au and Cycling Central forums and vote in the poll, they need to know we don't accept their coverage treatment during the stages 19, 20 and 21.

cheers all roo

jcjordan said:
[...]

come on... get real, even poms dont whinge that much;

TDF coverage, A LOT, free to air, where is the downside ?????? so you missed a few things....

its their first time, Gabriel wont be back, and im sure they can work on their timings, I for one will be sending my positive feedback.

I was more upset with SBS when they took Inspector Rex off..!!! that was an out-rage!

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> MikeyOz Wrote:
> >
> > I was more upset with SBS when they took Inspector Rex off..!!! that
> > was an out-rage!

> woof woof! :D
>
> F"rex-lover-too"Dutch
>

> --
> flyingdutch

I can only imagine how peed off Mike Tomarlaris would have been

Did SBS show the final presentation and Lance Armstrong's speech in the end?

I gave up after waiting for 30 minutes after they cut back to the cricket.

I hope the 2005 TdF dvd has the full coverage of the final presentation.

Im just glad it was raining at the cricket,
Could not believe they went back to the cricket within the last thirty KM last night!

531Aussie wrote:
> jeez, it wasn't perfect, but I'll take what ever I can get
>
> I'll take a half-ass production (not that it was half-ass) over nothing
> anyday.

yep. i can't believe the way some people on this group are carrying on
over this. they showed some if not most of every stage. what did that
total in hours broadcast? 60+? i'd certainly rate myself as a keen
cycling fan but lets be dead honest some of that 60 hours was completely
boring, the pack ambling along chatting with even the commentators
talking about things other than the racing occurring at that moment.

yes sbs did screw up a few things mostly due to the cricket coverage,
they still covered most of the major moves in the entire race.

lets all ask ourselves. was this years coverage the best that sbs has
offered to date? absolutely!! did they take viewer feedback? yes,
gooodbye gabriel. do i personally think they'll learn from this years
experience to bring a better event next year? i believe so.

talk of boycotting products advertized in the cricket coverage ... get a
grip!!

brett

jcjordan said:
I abhor dishonesty and in the case of SBS’s TDF coverage it hurts even more as I always considered that SBS always held itself higher standard of production.

SBS stated that they were going to show all stages in full and for the final two stages they did not hold to this promise; they repetitively, especially during key parts of the final stage went to the cricket. Add this to its incompetent placement of ad breaks you can only say that they reach very low point of honesty and professionalism.

pretty harsh.....as a minority sport in this country I'm grateful for whatever coverage we can get. SBS has done more for cycling coverage in the last 3 years (& I'm not just talking TDF coverage) than every other network combined, has done in the last 40 years. Geez, before SBS the only cycling I can remember on the box was the blokes on rollers on 'world of sport'.......on Sunday arvo's ......("give 'im a Bertocchi ham & some Patra orange juice, Uncle Doug")!!!!......give 'em a go.

Hitchy

On 2005-07-25, 531Aussie (aka Bruce)

> scott Wrote:
>> Did SBS show the final presentation and Lance Armstrong's speech in the
>> end?
>> . yep .........

And somehow I ended up taping channel 9 instead of 28. Wouldn'tna
missed much - the TV antennae to the VCR has little reception anyway
for SBS. Worse part about living in the **** end of Melbourne.

--
TimC
"The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.

On 2005-07-25, 531Aussie (aka Bruce)

On 2005-07-25, 531Aussie (aka Bruce)

> scott Wrote:
>> Did SBS show the final presentation and Lance Armstrong's speech in the
>> end?
>> . yep .........

And somehow I ended up taping channel 9 instead of 28. Wouldn'tna
missed much - the TV antennae to the VCR has little reception anyway
for SBS. Worse part about living in the **** end of Melbourne.

--
TimC
"The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.
It's like television without the television part." -- James "Kibo" Parry

Sure we're happy that they've ramped up their coverage over the last
few years - that's great (more than great; I'm stoked). We feel
betrayed that when the chips ar down, we're being pushed into the
background by cricket. SBS exist to give minority interest groups,
mainly from multicultural backgrounds, a voice on TV; or at least to
give them some entertainment. Cricket is covered extensively on
commercial TV, and it goes against everything they have until recently
stood for to provide cricket to the masses over a French cycling race.