Scafell Pike from Seathwaite - estimates for how long??

The interesting thing now about the original question is why was it asked. In mountain leader
training you have to estimate distance height gain/loss and timing and this should be roughly
divided out into the sections of the walk so that you know how you are getting on. Now people
regularly go off without doing any of this and most are fine. It's only a case of how comfortable
you feel about doing it. The question I ask myself is would I take my own kids if I couldn't
estimate the time for the walk. Well I might do in the summer if I was prepared to turn back at any
time and I was confident of "Mountain" navigation. I might try a shorter walk with that age profile
in winter with full gear - axe and rope as a minimum with the kids in case of difficulties in ice
patches or escape routes. The temperature tomorrow is estimated at 10 degrees in the valley bottom
and zero at 3000ft with a wind-chill to minus 8 degrees. Just don't get stuck with the kids up at
the tops without the ability to keep them warm. 2 degrees drop in core body temperature is the start
of hypothermia and it comes on fast with kids, accelerates rapidly and kills in very short time.

This is not meant to be a scare story it is purely in case you are not acquainted with these facts
either. If you are a sailor then I'm sure you know all about it and can therefore judge the risks
for yourself.

Good luck, take plenty of warm gear and drinks and food. Have a tremendous walk and don't forget
what you learnt on the First Aid courses.

"Michael Farthing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Frank Weaver
> <[email protected]> writes
> >It's exactly these sort of responses that I'm sure puts a lot of people off asking.
>
> If you only want replies that confirm your views then what's the point of asking? You got my
> honest assessment. You can take note; just ignore it or ignore it and complain that it isn't what
> you wanted to hear. OK if you go for the last and it puts you off asking then you've saved
> yourself and everyone else a bit of effort.
>

> >I'm certainly not being glib about it and will obviously be taking a lot of care - otherwise I
> >would not have asked people with the knowledge in the first place.
> >
> >By mentioning my sailing experience I was trying to show that I have a bit of experience of
> >situations, a bit of sense and might cope with problems that might hit us. Mainly I will be as
> >prepared as much as I can
> >
> >No, I haven't done it before, I'm sure it won't be easy BUT I have done my research
>
> Well, as I say, that's not how it seemed to me. And you didn't like me saying so. Tough. I'm not
> going to start lying just to please you: it would short change those that ask and listen to the
> replies.
>
> --
> Michael Farthing cyclades Software House

"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Frank Weaver" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> It's exactly these sort of responses that I'm sure puts a lot of people off asking.
>>
>> I'm certainly not being glib about it and will obviously be taking a lot of care - otherwise I
>> would not have asked people with the knowledge in the first place.
>
> So long as you have got the right attitude and a bit of common sense the fells of the Lake
> District aren't the scary place some would have you believe. From looking at the weather forecasts
> and webcams it seems unlikely that you will encounter desperate winter conditions next week and
> you no doubt won't be alone up there should you need any guidance. As for time, the book I've got
> suggests 5-7 hours (not counting stops) for a similar circuit taking in the Corridor Route
> starting from Wasdale Head rather than Seathwaite (is that a bit shorter maybe?, I don't have a
> map to hand) and you have what, about 10 hours of daylight at the moment. Start early and have a
> good walk.

Well said. I think the levelness of most responses shows that we picked up your responsible
attitude, Frank, plus your careful approach to research and a willingness to turn back. Take the
advice onboard (as you clearly have), ignore the put-down, and go have a good time. Oh - and check
out "Low Fell" on Google Groups..... :)

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>It's light enough to walk without a torch for nearly 11 hours.

Wuss, what about the other 13? ;-)

Seriously though for most terrain in most conditions there is enough light to walk without a torch.
It does take a bit of getting used to and a bit of care. I prefer not to use a torch at all when
walking at night if I can avoid it.

If you do need to use a torch for a tricky bit keep one eye shut so you don't loose your night
vision in both otherwise you will need the torch to continue...

Seeing holes in peat is a bit tricky as is spotting black ice but much of the time its not too hard.

--

http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

On 12 Feb 2004 14:16:25 -0800, [email protected] (Frank
Weaver) wrote:

>We're going up to the Lakes next week and intend to do Scafell Pike for the first time. My wife is
>ill at the moment so I'll just be doing it with my 13 & 11 year old boys (+ dog).
>
>I'd like some estimates for times please - I don't want to push too hard but want to ensure we get
>up & down in reasonable time
>
>From what I've read the preferred route from Seathwaite is Taylorgill Force - Sty Head - Corridor
>Route - Lingmell col - Scafell Pike.
>
>Returning via Esk Hause and Grains Gill to Stockley Bridge.
>
>many thanks for your speedy replies!!
>
>Frank

Just to echo what Richard said - you sound to be a sensible sort, prepared to turn back if
necessary. So go for it. It's not an easy walk, simply because of the length, but only you can
assess if you all have the necessary fitness and stamina.

There's no snow left at the moment so winter gear not *currently* needed, I'm sure you'd rethink if
this changed.

A useful phone number is 017687 75757 the Lakes weather line (not it's not a premium rate number).
Give it a ring the night before your planned walk and make a decision.

Have fun.

Simon

"Frank Weaver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for that Sandy - I had come across your site eariler in the week - great pictures

Not a problem ... just enjoy the walk in safety.

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still brings
the same excitement'

>But on sea you don't encounter ravines, gills, streams you can't wade through when in spate,
>rockwalls you can't climb, icy patches (normally), snowfields etc. They can make you go the way
>your navigationskills say not to go.

Hills are not tidal, and you usually have a landmark or two. I imagine whiteouts are rare on the
rocky Scafells.

Richard Webb

[email protected] (Frank Weaver) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'd like some estimates for times please - I don't want to push too hard but want to ensure we get
> up & down in reasonable time
>
> From what I've read the preferred route from Seathwaite is Taylorgill Force - Sty Head - Corridor
> Route - Lingmell col - Scafell Pike.

I did this route in 2.5 hours of brisk walking and it was the first time I'd been to Scafell. Take
great care negotiating Taylorgill Force as there is a tricky clamber past a sheer drop, unless you
go a bit higher when it's more of a scramble. Also, the start of the Corridor Route isn't obvious.

[email protected] (John Williams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Frank Weaver) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'd like some estimates for times please - I don't want to push too hard but want to ensure we
> > get up & down in reasonable time
> >
> > From what I've read the preferred route from Seathwaite is Taylorgill Force - Sty Head -
> > Corridor Route - Lingmell col - Scafell Pike.
>
> I did this route in 2.5 hours of brisk walking and it was the first time I'd been to Scafell. Take
> great care negotiating Taylorgill Force as there is a tricky clamber past a sheer drop, unless you
> go a bit higher when it's more of a scramble. Also, the start of the Corridor Route isn't obvious.

This is up the right hand side of Taylorgill Force.

Well - we did it!

Following the advice we had from this message board we did the Esk Hause route up & down. It took us
2hrs 55mins going up (with a couple of breaks), had lunch at the top & took 2hrs 40mins down (again
with a couple of breaks). The boys (& dog) managed fine.

We were lucky with the weather all week & although there was some snow & ice higher up it didn't
really give too many problems.

It was a fantastic climb with some great views and we'll definitely do it again - probably via a
different route

Thanks for everyone's help

In message <[email protected]>, Frank Weaver
<[email protected]> writes
>Well - we did it!
>
>Following the advice we had from this message board we did the Esk Hause route up & down. It took
>us 2hrs 55mins going up (with a couple of breaks), had lunch at the top & took 2hrs 40mins down
>(again with a couple of breaks). The boys (& dog) managed fine.
>
>We were lucky with the weather all week & although there was some snow & ice higher up it didn't
>really give too many problems.
>
>It was a fantastic climb with some great views and we'll definitely do it again - probably via a
>different route
>
>Thanks for everyone's help

Glad it went well for you.

--
Michael Farthing cyclades Software House

"Frank Weaver" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Well - we did it!
>
> Following the advice we had from this message board we did the Esk Hause route up & down. It took
> us 2hrs 55mins going up (with a couple of breaks), had lunch at the top & took 2hrs 40mins down
> (again with a couple of breaks). The boys (& dog) managed fine.
>
> We were lucky with the weather all week & although there was some snow & ice higher up it didn't
> really give too many problems.
>
> It was a fantastic climb with some great views and we'll definitely do it again - probably via a
> different route
>
> Thanks for everyone's help

and thanks for sharing your experience with us. Lots of people don't even bother to tell what they
did with the advice.

Theo