Scale for measuring weight of rims

Bruce Lange

Guest
Can anyone recommend a good scale for weighing bicycle rims? I would like to get within 5g. Is there
a hanging scale that measures small weights?

Thanks,

-Bruce-

"Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Can anyone recommend a good scale for weighing bicycle rims? I would like
> get within 5g. Is there a hanging scale that measures small weights?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Bruce-

A hanging scale isn't very accurate, maybe to an ounce or so. There are some relatively inexpensive
digital scales that will meaure within a half gram. For those try a place like Bed, Bath & Beyond,
or any place that sells a lot of kitchen gadget stuff.

<< Can anyone recommend a good scale for weighing bicycle rims? I would like to get within 5g. Is
there a hanging scale that measures small weights? >>

I bought a Pelouze electronic postage scale at Office Max for around $30. It weighs items up to 5
lbs and is accurate to within 1 gram. Use a bit of funtack on the platen to keep round objects from
rolling off.

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:56:31 GMT, "Bruce Lange"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Can anyone recommend a good scale for weighing bicycle rims? I would like to get within 5g. Is
>there a hanging scale that measures small weights?

There are a number of good, inexpensive electronic kitchen scales that measure in one gram
increments up to 2kg. I paid less than $35 for one with shipping; they can sometimes be had as
postal scales as well.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

"Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Can anyone recommend a good scale for weighing bicycle rims? I would like
> get within 5g. Is there a hanging scale that measures small weights?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Bruce-

Doesn't need to be a hanging scale. Most scales can be zeroed. You can make a simple fixture that
will hold the wheel (steal your kids play dough), place the fixture on the scale without wheel and
reset the zero point. Any good digital kitchen or postal scale will do if you have a good fixture to
hold the wheel. A simple plastic cup or ring may work to hold the wheel horizontally.

C.Q.C.

"Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<jenHb.496505$275.1398644@attbi_s53>...
> Can anyone recommend a good scale for weighing bicycle rims? I would like to get within 5g. Is
> there a hanging scale that measures small weights?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Bruce-

Dear Bruce,

Whenever I'm overcome by the urge to weigh inconsequential differences, I stop by the post office
and use the certified digital government scales in the lobby.

(You get some strange looks when you weigh a female snapping turtle and then let her loose on the
floor of the lobby in order to weigh her carboard box in order to obtain an accurate figure--28
pounds and a few ounces is all that I recall now, or about two stone.)

When I'm overcome by a paranoid distrust of the government, I swing by a client's office and double-
check with the office's digital postal scales.

Typical digital postal scales are more accurate than plus-or-minus 5 grams. I weighed cut-out
Schrader and Presta valves a few months ago this way (4 grams, 2 grams--I'm sure that you were dying
to know, just like the bemused medical office secretaries).

Carl Fogel

Bruce Lange wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good scale for weighing bicycle rims? I would like to get within 5g. Is
> there a hanging scale that measures small weights?

If you put your scale on the arm of a service stand or any similar thing, you can hang the
rim from it.

A postal scale works fine that way.

Bruce Lange wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good scale for weighing bicycle rims? I would like to get within 5g. Is
> there a hanging scale that measures small weights?

A rim can be weighed horizontally on small flat electronic scales by balancing it across a
yardstick.

~PB

Bruce Lange wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good scale for weighing bicycle rims? I would like to get within 5g. Is
> there a hanging scale that measures small weights?

I use digital kitchen scales and, if the rim won't stay upright, I just lean it against something
gently. At a fraction of a degree from vertical the resultant force provided by the thing it's
leaning against is negligible - at least, the method seems perfectly repeatable.

> (You get some strange looks when you weigh a female snapping turtle and then let her loose on the
> floor of the lobby in order to weigh her carboard box in order to obtain an accurate figure--28
> pounds and a few ounces is all that I recall now, or about two stone.)

Hah! Imagine the looks of people around me when I weighed my newborn at the local post office, uncut
umbilical and everything!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > (You get some strange looks when you weigh a female snapping turtle and then let her loose on
> > the floor of the lobby in order to weigh her carboard box in order to obtain an accurate figure--
> > 28 pounds and a few ounces is all that I recall now, or about two stone.)
>
> Hah! Imagine the looks of people around me when I weighed my newborn at the local post office,
> uncut umbilical and everything!

Dear Phil,

One-upmanship is an ugly thing, so . . .

a) Infants are a common sight in public these days. Did you let yours crawl around on the
lobby floor?

b) How much did your newborn weigh? If the child was in my turtle's range, please give the mother
my sympathy.

c) Speaking of the mother, does she know where you took her pride and joy right after the delivery?
A modest sum paid monthly into my PayPal account will ensure that this potentially awkward topic
remains dormant.

Of course, if your offspring had ten tentacles, a beak, and a cuttlebone, never mind--you win, no
need to spray me with ink.

In any case, congratulations,

Carl Fogel

Q. <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
>Doesn't need to be a hanging scale. Most scales can be zeroed. You can make a simple fixture that
>will hold the wheel (steal your kids play dough), place the fixture on the scale without wheel and
>reset the zero point.

The scale need not be zeroable, since evidently one may begin by weighing the fixture.

David Damerell wrote:

> Q. <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Doesn't need to be a hanging scale. Most scales can be zeroed. You can make a simple fixture that
> >will hold the wheel (steal your kids play dough), place the fixture on the scale without wheel
> >and reset the zero point.
>
> The scale need not be zeroable, since evidently one may begin by weighing the fixture.
> --

put the scale on the corner of a table and hang the rim over the scales

--
Marten