scalleoped potatoes au gratin

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by kilikini, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?

    This is how I always do mine:

    Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
    potato mixture.

    Anyone have better ideas?

    kili

    Tags:

  2. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    >
    > This is how I always do mine:
    >
    > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
    > potato mixture.
    >
    > Anyone have better ideas?
    >
    > kili

    I slice potatoes 1/2 cm then I boil them for just 1 minute. Then I put them
    in a oiled baking pan on only one layer. I season them with oil, salt,
    pepper, thyme powder and a mix of reggiano cheese with breadcrumbs. At the
    end, some thin slices of butter. Put in the oven for 15 minutes, then finish
    the cooking under the grill.
    Cheers
    Pandora

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    kilikini wrote:
    > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    >
    > This is how I always do mine:
    >
    > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add
    > a little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it
    > over the potato mixture.
    >
    > Anyone have better ideas?
    >
    > kili

    I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it over the
    potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've never used nutmeg
    in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some breadcrumbs (gasp) on top with
    the extra grated cheese and for colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika.
    Pop it in the oven and bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.

    Jill

  4. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]
    > > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    > >
    > > This is how I always do mine:
    > >
    > > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    > > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
    > > potato mixture.
    > >
    > > Anyone have better ideas?
    > >
    > > kili

    > I slice potatoes 1/2 cm then I boil them for just 1 minute. Then I put

    them
    > in a oiled baking pan on only one layer. I season them with oil, salt,
    > pepper, thyme powder and a mix of reggiano cheese with breadcrumbs. At the
    > end, some thin slices of butter. Put in the oven for 15 minutes, then

    finish
    > the cooking under the grill.
    > Cheers
    > Pandora

    You use thyme in the potatoes? I love thyme, that sounds interesting.
    Thanks, Pandora.

    kili

  5. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    > kilikini wrote:
    > > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    > >
    > > This is how I always do mine:
    > >
    > > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add
    > > a little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it
    > > over the potato mixture.
    > >
    > > Anyone have better ideas?
    > >
    > > kili

    > I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it over the
    > potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've never used

    nutmeg
    > in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some breadcrumbs (gasp) on top

    with
    > the extra grated cheese and for colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika.
    > Pop it in the oven and bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.
    >
    > Jill

    You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook them
    covered or uncovered, Jill?

    kili

  6. kilikini wrote:
    > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    >
    > This is how I always do mine:
    >
    > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
    > potato mixture.
    >
    > Anyone have better ideas?
    >
    > kili

    Cafe Cego's Scalloped Potatoes

    none

    3 pounds red potatoes (about 6-7 large); - peeled
    1 large onion (me see note); thinly sliced
    ----- SAUCE-----
    4 cups whipping cream (me see note)
    2 tbsp flour (me see note); as thickener
    1 clove garlic minced (me see note); to taste use more
    salt -- to taste
    freshly-ground white pepper --; to taste
    ground nutmeg -- to taste
    -----TOPPING AND PREP-----
    3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons butter -- cut into bits; topping
    2 tablespoon butter (me see note); BUTTER PAN

    Pre heat oven to 350 and butter the pan.

    Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick in food processor or by hand.

    Arrange potato slices evenly in pre buttered pan dish. After each good
    (some over-lapping allowed) layer of potatoes add a thin layer of onions.

    Whisk cream and FLOUR salt, pepper, GARLIC and nutmeg to taste in bowl.
    Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes and dot with bits of
    butter.

    NOTES:

    I DOUBLED THE CREAM AS IT SEEMED NOT ENOUGH SO THAT IS WHERE THE FLOUR
    CAME FROM. Half and half would work. as the original recipe made a thin
    runny sauce I ALSO ADDED THE ONION.

    FUTURE: CAYANNE PEPPER OR GROUND CHIPOLTE PEPPER MIGHT BE NICE IN THIS.
    a pinch or so I ALSO MADE THE GARLIC MINCED AND ADDED IT TO THE SAUCE.
    Previously you were to rub the pan but that stopped pre-buttering it so
    things changed

    Bake at 375 degrees until browned and bubbly, 50 minutes.

    This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.

    Each of 8 servings: 409 calories; 268 mg sodium; 97 mg cholesterol; 28
    grams fat; 33 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams protein; 0.73 gram fiber.

    Source: 'The Los Angeles Times, 08-02-2000' S(Formatted for MC5):
    '10-28-2000 by Joe Comiskey - [email protected]'

  7. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > kilikini wrote:
    > > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    > >
    > > This is how I always do mine:
    > >
    > > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    > > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
    > > potato mixture.
    > >
    > > Anyone have better ideas?
    > >
    > > kili
    > >

    > Cafe Cego's Scalloped Potatoes
    >
    > none
    >
    > 3 pounds red potatoes (about 6-7 large); - peeled
    > 1 large onion (me see note); thinly sliced
    > ----- SAUCE-----
    > 4 cups whipping cream (me see note)
    > 2 tbsp flour (me see note); as thickener
    > 1 clove garlic minced (me see note); to taste use more
    > salt -- to taste
    > freshly-ground white pepper --; to taste
    > ground nutmeg -- to taste
    > -----TOPPING AND PREP-----
    > 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    > 2 tablespoons butter -- cut into bits; topping
    > 2 tablespoon butter (me see note); BUTTER PAN
    >
    > Pre heat oven to 350 and butter the pan.
    >
    > Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick in food processor or by hand.
    >
    > Arrange potato slices evenly in pre buttered pan dish. After each good
    > (some over-lapping allowed) layer of potatoes add a thin layer of onions.
    >
    > Whisk cream and FLOUR salt, pepper, GARLIC and nutmeg to taste in bowl.
    > Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes and dot with bits of
    > butter.
    >
    > NOTES:
    >
    > I DOUBLED THE CREAM AS IT SEEMED NOT ENOUGH SO THAT IS WHERE THE FLOUR
    > CAME FROM. Half and half would work. as the original recipe made a thin
    > runny sauce I ALSO ADDED THE ONION.
    >
    > FUTURE: CAYANNE PEPPER OR GROUND CHIPOLTE PEPPER MIGHT BE NICE IN THIS.
    > a pinch or so I ALSO MADE THE GARLIC MINCED AND ADDED IT TO THE SAUCE.
    > Previously you were to rub the pan but that stopped pre-buttering it so
    > things changed
    >
    > Bake at 375 degrees until browned and bubbly, 50 minutes.
    >
    > This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
    >
    > Each of 8 servings: 409 calories; 268 mg sodium; 97 mg cholesterol; 28
    > grams fat; 33 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams protein; 0.73 gram fiber.
    >
    > Source: 'The Los Angeles Times, 08-02-2000' S(Formatted for MC5):
    > '10-28-2000 by Joe Comiskey - [email protected]'

    Thaniks, Mr. B! I like this recipe. I want to use a blend of cheeses, so I
    think if I do that, that might thicken it up anyway.......wouldn't it? In
    any case, I'm saving this to my recipe software program.

    kili

  8. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]

    > "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    >> >
    >> > This is how I always do mine:
    >> >
    >> > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    >> > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over
    >> > the
    >> > potato mixture.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone have better ideas?
    >> >
    >> > kili

    >> I slice potatoes 1/2 cm then I boil them for just 1 minute. Then I put

    > them
    >> in a oiled baking pan on only one layer. I season them with oil, salt,
    >> pepper, thyme powder and a mix of reggiano cheese with breadcrumbs. At
    >> the
    >> end, some thin slices of butter. Put in the oven for 15 minutes, then

    > finish
    >> the cooking under the grill.
    >> Cheers
    >> Pandora
    >> >

    > You use thyme in the potatoes? I love thyme, that sounds interesting.
    > Thanks, Pandora.

    You are welcome. I love it too!! :))
    Pan

    > kili

  9. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Patricia Wells recipe removes any milk product and roux from the recipe, for
    health conscious scalloped potato lovers.
    Look at: http://specialflavors.com/collection/vegetables/potatoes.htm and
    scroll down to "Baker's Wife's Potatoes" from her cookbook. It has become
    the standard in our kitchen. When we want the milk taste we put in a small
    amound of cream or milk just before assembling the dish. It also works great
    with ham added, and you can add cheese.
    Happy Holidaze to all.
    Kent

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    >
    > This is how I always do mine:
    >
    > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
    > potato mixture.
    >
    > Anyone have better ideas?
    >
    > kili

  10. aem

    aem Guest

    kilikini wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
    > potato mixture.
    >
    > Anyone have better ideas?

    Gotta have some onions in there, either chopped and sweated before the
    roux is done, or sliced and layered with the potatoes. A tiny bit of
    an herb that will complement whatever the entree is can be added, too,
    such as rosemary or thyme or dill. -aem

  11. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    kilikini wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> kilikini wrote:
    >>> What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    >>>
    >>> This is how I always do mine:
    >>>
    >>> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux,
    >>> add
    >>> a little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it
    >>> over the potato mixture.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have better ideas?
    >>>
    >>> kili

    >> I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it
    >> over the potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've
    >> never used nutmeg in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some
    >> breadcrumbs (gasp) on top with the extra grated cheese and for
    >> colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika. Pop it in the oven and
    >> bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook
    > them covered or uncovered, Jill?
    >
    > kili

    Uncovered. You (well, I) want the top to be nicely browned.

    Jill

  12. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > kilikini wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    > > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
    > > potato mixture.
    > >
    > > Anyone have better ideas?
    > >

    > Gotta have some onions in there, either chopped and sweated before the
    > roux is done, or sliced and layered with the potatoes. A tiny bit of
    > an herb that will complement whatever the entree is can be added, too,
    > such as rosemary or thyme or dill. -aem

    You're the second person to mention thyme. I have dried thyme leaves; I was
    going to add it to my stuffing anyway. I can put it in my coffee grinder
    and add it to the potatoes. Thank you!

    kili

  13. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    kilikini wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> kilikini wrote:
    >>> What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    >>>
    >>> This is how I always do mine:
    >>>
    >>> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux,
    >>> add
    >>> a little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it
    >>> over the potato mixture.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have better ideas?
    >>>
    >>> kili

    >> I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it
    >> over the potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've
    >> never used nutmeg in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some
    >> breadcrumbs (gasp) on top with the extra grated cheese and for
    >> colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika. Pop it in the oven and
    >> bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook
    > them covered or uncovered, Jill?
    >
    > kili

    If you want something really different and insist on using nutmeg <G> slice
    together sweet potatoes and white potatoes to make your au gratin. Nice and
    festive! Bake uncovered to brown the top.

    Jill

  14. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    > kilikini wrote:
    > > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >> I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it
    > >> over the potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've
    > >> never used nutmeg in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some
    > >> breadcrumbs (gasp) on top with the extra grated cheese and for
    > >> colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika. Pop it in the oven and
    > >> bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.
    > >>
    > >> Jill
    > >>

    > > You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook
    > > them covered or uncovered, Jill?
    > >
    > > kili

    > If you want something really different and insist on using nutmeg <G>

    slice
    > together sweet potatoes and white potatoes to make your au gratin. Nice

    and
    > festive! Bake uncovered to brown the top.
    >
    > Jill

    Jill, that may do the trick because once I mentioned sweet potatoes, Allan
    wants 'em. Maybe a mixture of both would work.

    kili

  15. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    kilikini wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> kilikini wrote:
    >>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook
    >>> them covered or uncovered, Jill?
    >>>
    >>> kili

    >> If you want something really different and insist on using nutmeg
    >> <G> slice together sweet potatoes and white potatoes to make your au
    >> gratin. Nice and festive! Bake uncovered to brown the top.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Jill, that may do the trick because once I mentioned sweet potatoes,
    > Allan wants 'em. Maybe a mixture of both would work.
    >
    > kili

    I know you don't think you like sweet potatoes, but really, they are good.
    I promise you, you'll like them. I like to just roast them like regular
    baking potatoes and have them with salt, pepper & butter. If it helps at
    all, don't think of them as a "southern" thing ;) They are an 'Americas'
    thing; Honduras and are very popular in California. Hope this helps :)

    Jill

  16. MoM

    MoM Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    >
    > This is how I always do mine:
    >
    > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make
    > a roux, add a
    > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then
    > pour it over the
    > potato mixture.
    >
    > Anyone have better ideas?
    >
    > kili

    Mine!

    -= Exported from BigOven =-

    Au Gratin Potatoes

    Recipe By:
    Serving Size: 2
    Cuisine:
    Main Ingredient:
    Categories: Vegetables

    -= Ingredients =-
    3 Medium Potatoes
    1/4 Cup Butter
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Cups Shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/2 Cup Chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic ; minced fine
    1 Tablespoon All-purpose flour
    1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
    1 1/4 Cups Milk

    -= Instructions =-
    Cut potatoes into thin slices. In a saucepan, cook onion and
    garlic inbutter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and
    pepper. Cook over low heat,stirring constantly. Remove from
    heat and stir in milk and 1/4 cups cheese.Heat to boiling
    and boil for 1 minute. Place potatoes in ungreased
    4-qt.casserole and pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Cook
    uncovered at 350° for 1hour. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup
    cheese on top and bake until melted.

    Recipe by H Peagram

    ** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
    **
    ** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
    http://www.bigoven.com **

    MoM

  17. On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:02:45 +0000, "MoM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > -= Exported from BigOven =-
    >
    > Au Gratin Potatoes

    Thanks for sharing this, Helen. I have all the ingredients, and we
    both love cheesy potatoes. Betty Crocker usually makes them for me,
    but I'm thinking I'll give these a shot very soon.

    Carol

  18. Carol,
    Betty Crocker makes mine too . . . especially when I'm cooking for a
    hundred. The one thing I do insist on is using evaporated milk. It
    makes creamier potatoes than either half & half or even whipping cream.

    If G-d had wanted us to cook from scratch, She wouldn't have invented
    Betty Crocker!

    Lynn in Fargo

  19. On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, kilikini wrote:

    > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
    >
    > This is how I always do mine:
    >
    > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
    > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
    > potato mixture.
    >
    > Anyone have better ideas?
    >
    > kili

    That's basically my recipe, too. I don't use the nutmeg. I fry bacon
    crispy. Saute onions in the bacon fat and toss in a litttle minced garlic.
    I layer the potatoes, like you do, adding the cheese and roux (made into
    cheese sauce), onions, and crumbled bacon on each layer of potatoes. The
    last few minutes of cooking, I top with cheese. When It comes out, I
    sprinkle with more crumbled bacon.

    Elaine, too

  20. MoM

    MoM Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:02:45 +0000, "MoM"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> -= Exported from BigOven =-
    >>
    >> Au Gratin Potatoes

    > Thanks for sharing this, Helen. I have all the
    > ingredients, and we
    > both love cheesy potatoes. Betty Crocker usually makes
    > them for me,
    > but I'm thinking I'll give these a shot very soon.
    >
    > Carol

    Hope you like them, we do!

    --
    Helen in beautiful Fergus, Ontario Canada ~~ RVTOBFREE
    www.mompeagram.homestead.com/