scalleoped potatoes au gratin

"Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Carol,
> Betty Crocker makes mine too . . . especially when I'm
> cooking for a
> hundred. The one thing I do insist on is using evaporated
> milk. It
> makes creamier potatoes than either half & half or even
> whipping cream.
>

> If G-d had wanted us to cook from scratch, She wouldn't
> have invented
> Betty Crocker!
>
> Lynn in Fargo

Now that's an idea! I'll try mine and replace the milk with
2% evaporated.

--
Helen in beautiful Fergus, Ontario Canada ~~ RVTOBFREE
www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

On 18 Dec 2005 19:13:51 -0800, "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Carol,
> Betty Crocker makes mine too . . . especially when I'm cooking for a
> hundred. The one thing I do insist on is using evaporated milk. It
> makes creamier potatoes than either half & half or even whipping cream.

Cool! We have three cans of the stuff, just waiting to be turned into
cheese sauce! Thanks for that tip, Lynn!

> If G-d had wanted us to cook from scratch, She wouldn't have invented
> Betty Crocker!

Good point. I really do love Betty's au gratins.

Carol

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:47:37 -0600, Elaine Parrish <[email protected]>
wrote:

> That's basically my recipe, too. I don't use the nutmeg. I fry bacon
> crispy. Saute onions in the bacon fat and toss in a litttle minced garlic.
> I layer the potatoes, like you do, adding the cheese and roux (made into
> cheese sauce), onions, and crumbled bacon on each layer of potatoes. The
> last few minutes of cooking, I top with cheese. When It comes out, I
> sprinkle with more crumbled bacon.

BACON! Thanks, Elaine. Dinner is looking better and better!

Carol

"Elaine Parrish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, kilikini wrote:
>
> > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
> >
> > This is how I always do mine:
> >
> > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
> > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
> > potato mixture.
> >
> > Anyone have better ideas?
> >
> > kili
> >

> That's basically my recipe, too. I don't use the nutmeg. I fry bacon
> crispy. Saute onions in the bacon fat and toss in a litttle minced garlic.
> I layer the potatoes, like you do, adding the cheese and roux (made into
> cheese sauce), onions, and crumbled bacon on each layer of potatoes. The
> last few minutes of cooking, I top with cheese. When It comes out, I
> sprinkle with more crumbled bacon.
>
> Elaine, too

Okay, done deal. I'm going with bacon sans nutmeg. Thank you!

kili

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:47:37 -0600, Elaine Parrish <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > That's basically my recipe, too. I don't use the nutmeg. I fry bacon
> > crispy. Saute onions in the bacon fat and toss in a litttle minced garlic.
> > I layer the potatoes, like you do, adding the cheese and roux (made into
> > cheese sauce), onions, and crumbled bacon on each layer of potatoes. The
> > last few minutes of cooking, I top with cheese. When It comes out, I
> > sprinkle with more crumbled bacon.

> BACON! Thanks, Elaine. Dinner is looking better and better!
>
> Carol

Ahhhh, bacon... Being a Southerner, we really only have two main "spices":
Pork and Sugar <g>. When I am cooking, I ask myself: Does this combo of
ingredients call for Pork or for Sugar? (Butter is never "optional" haha)
We love them so much, we've figured out a way to use them both in many
recipes!

Tis far better to live a few years less than to live a long time eating
bland food! - some dead southerner <vbg>

Elaine, too

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, kilikini wrote:

> "Elaine Parrish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> >

> > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, kilikini wrote:
> >
> > > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
> > >
> > > This is how I always do mine:
> > >
> > > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
> > > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
> > > potato mixture.
> > >
> > > Anyone have better ideas?
> > >
> > > kili
> > >

> > That's basically my recipe, too. I don't use the nutmeg. I fry bacon
> > crispy. Saute onions in the bacon fat and toss in a litttle minced garlic.
> > I layer the potatoes, like you do, adding the cheese and roux (made into
> > cheese sauce), onions, and crumbled bacon on each layer of potatoes. The
> > last few minutes of cooking, I top with cheese. When It comes out, I
> > sprinkle with more crumbled bacon.
> >
> > Elaine, too
> >

> Okay, done deal. I'm going with bacon sans nutmeg. Thank you!
>
> kili

I hope you like it. Let me know.

Elaine, too

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:34:07 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:02:45 +0000, "MoM" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>
>> Au Gratin Potatoes

>Thanks for sharing this, Helen. I have all the ingredients, and we
>both love cheesy potatoes. Betty Crocker usually makes them for me,
>but I'm thinking I'll give these a shot very soon.

Dams, I have a recipe that has a different spin on au gratin potatoes
that the family loves:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Potato Gratin With Mustard And Cheddar Cheese

vegetables

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 pound cheddar cheese; white, grated
1/4 cup flour
5 pounds russet potatoes; peeled, thinly slice
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
6 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs
and stir until crumbs are golden brown, about 10 mins. Cool crumbs.
(Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and let stand at room
temperature.)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400F. Butter
15x10x2" (4 qt.) glass baking dish. Mix thyme, salt and pepper in
small bowl.

Combine grated cheddar cheese and flour in large bowl; toss to coat
cheese. Arrange 1/2 of potatoes over bottom of prepared dish. Sprinkle
1/3 of thyme mixture, then 1/3 of cheese mixture over. Repeat layering
of potatoes, thyme mixture and cheese mixture 2 more times. Whisk
chicken broth, whipping cream and mustard in medium bowl to blend.
Pour broth mixture over potatoes.

Bake potatoes 30 mins. Sprinkle buttered crumbs over. Bake until
potatoes are tender and top is golden brown, about 1 hour longer. Let
stand 15 mins.
before serving.

Contributor: Bon Appetit

Yield: 12 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

My trick to give scalloped potatoes a little added flavor is to
substitute one peeled, white turnip (white, in this case, means white
with a purple splotch) for every third potato. For the cheese, I've
been using an English farmstead cheddar.

--Lia