scalleoped potatoes au gratin

kilikini

Guest
What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?

This is how I always do mine:

Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
potato mixture.

Anyone have better ideas?

kili

"kilikini" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
>
> This is how I always do mine:
>
> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
> little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
> potato mixture.
>
> Anyone have better ideas?
>
> kili

I slice potatoes 1/2 cm then I boil them for just 1 minute. Then I put them
in a oiled baking pan on only one layer. I season them with oil, salt,
pepper, thyme powder and a mix of reggiano cheese with breadcrumbs. At the
end, some thin slices of butter. Put in the oven for 15 minutes, then finish
the cooking under the grill.
Cheers
Pandora

kilikini wrote:
> What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
>
> This is how I always do mine:
>
> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add
> a little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it
> over the potato mixture.
>
> Anyone have better ideas?
>
> kili

I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it over the
potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've never used nutmeg
in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some breadcrumbs (gasp) on top with
the extra grated cheese and for colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika.
Pop it in the oven and bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.

Jill

"Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "kilikini" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
> > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
> >
> > This is how I always do mine:
> >
> > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
> > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
> > potato mixture.
> >
> > Anyone have better ideas?
> >
> > kili

> I slice potatoes 1/2 cm then I boil them for just 1 minute. Then I put

them
> in a oiled baking pan on only one layer. I season them with oil, salt,
> pepper, thyme powder and a mix of reggiano cheese with breadcrumbs. At the
> end, some thin slices of butter. Put in the oven for 15 minutes, then

finish
> the cooking under the grill.
> Cheers
> Pandora

You use thyme in the potatoes? I love thyme, that sounds interesting.
Thanks, Pandora.

kili

> kilikini wrote:
> > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
> >
> > This is how I always do mine:
> >
> > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add
> > a little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it
> > over the potato mixture.
> >
> > Anyone have better ideas?
> >
> > kili

> I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it over the
> potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've never used

nutmeg
> in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some breadcrumbs (gasp) on top

with
> the extra grated cheese and for colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika.
> Pop it in the oven and bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.
>
> Jill

You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook them
covered or uncovered, Jill?

kili

kilikini wrote:
> What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
>
> This is how I always do mine:
>
> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
> little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
> potato mixture.
>
> Anyone have better ideas?
>
> kili

Cafe Cego's Scalloped Potatoes

none

3 pounds red potatoes (about 6-7 large); - peeled
1 large onion (me see note); thinly sliced
----- SAUCE-----
4 cups whipping cream (me see note)
2 tbsp flour (me see note); as thickener
1 clove garlic minced (me see note); to taste use more
salt -- to taste
freshly-ground white pepper --; to taste
ground nutmeg -- to taste
-----TOPPING AND PREP-----
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter -- cut into bits; topping
2 tablespoon butter (me see note); BUTTER PAN

Pre heat oven to 350 and butter the pan.

Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick in food processor or by hand.

Arrange potato slices evenly in pre buttered pan dish. After each good
(some over-lapping allowed) layer of potatoes add a thin layer of onions.

Whisk cream and FLOUR salt, pepper, GARLIC and nutmeg to taste in bowl.
Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes and dot with bits of
butter.

NOTES:

I DOUBLED THE CREAM AS IT SEEMED NOT ENOUGH SO THAT IS WHERE THE FLOUR
CAME FROM. Half and half would work. as the original recipe made a thin
runny sauce I ALSO ADDED THE ONION.

FUTURE: CAYANNE PEPPER OR GROUND CHIPOLTE PEPPER MIGHT BE NICE IN THIS.
a pinch or so I ALSO MADE THE GARLIC MINCED AND ADDED IT TO THE SAUCE.
Previously you were to rub the pan but that stopped pre-buttering it so
things changed

Bake at 375 degrees until browned and bubbly, 50 minutes.

This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.

Each of 8 servings: 409 calories; 268 mg sodium; 97 mg cholesterol; 28
grams fat; 33 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams protein; 0.73 gram fiber.

Source: 'The Los Angeles Times, 08-02-2000' S(Formatted for MC5):
'10-28-2000 by Joe Comiskey - [email protected]'

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> kilikini wrote:
> > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
> >
> > This is how I always do mine:
> >
> > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
> > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
> > potato mixture.
> >
> > Anyone have better ideas?
> >
> > kili
> >

> Cafe Cego's Scalloped Potatoes
>
> none
>
> 3 pounds red potatoes (about 6-7 large); - peeled
> 1 large onion (me see note); thinly sliced
> ----- SAUCE-----
> 4 cups whipping cream (me see note)
> 2 tbsp flour (me see note); as thickener
> 1 clove garlic minced (me see note); to taste use more
> salt -- to taste
> freshly-ground white pepper --; to taste
> ground nutmeg -- to taste
> -----TOPPING AND PREP-----
> 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
> 2 tablespoons butter -- cut into bits; topping
> 2 tablespoon butter (me see note); BUTTER PAN
>
> Pre heat oven to 350 and butter the pan.
>
> Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick in food processor or by hand.
>
> Arrange potato slices evenly in pre buttered pan dish. After each good
> (some over-lapping allowed) layer of potatoes add a thin layer of onions.
>
> Whisk cream and FLOUR salt, pepper, GARLIC and nutmeg to taste in bowl.
> Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes and dot with bits of
> butter.
>
> NOTES:
>
> I DOUBLED THE CREAM AS IT SEEMED NOT ENOUGH SO THAT IS WHERE THE FLOUR
> CAME FROM. Half and half would work. as the original recipe made a thin
> runny sauce I ALSO ADDED THE ONION.
>
> FUTURE: CAYANNE PEPPER OR GROUND CHIPOLTE PEPPER MIGHT BE NICE IN THIS.
> a pinch or so I ALSO MADE THE GARLIC MINCED AND ADDED IT TO THE SAUCE.
> Previously you were to rub the pan but that stopped pre-buttering it so
> things changed
>
> Bake at 375 degrees until browned and bubbly, 50 minutes.
>
> This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
>
> Each of 8 servings: 409 calories; 268 mg sodium; 97 mg cholesterol; 28
> grams fat; 33 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams protein; 0.73 gram fiber.
>
> Source: 'The Los Angeles Times, 08-02-2000' S(Formatted for MC5):
> '10-28-2000 by Joe Comiskey - [email protected]'

Thaniks, Mr. B! I like this recipe. I want to use a blend of cheeses, so I
think if I do that, that might thicken it up anyway.......wouldn't it? In
any case, I'm saving this to my recipe software program.

kili

"kilikini" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "kilikini" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
>> >
>> > This is how I always do mine:
>> >
>> > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
>> > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over
>> > the
>> > potato mixture.
>> >
>> > Anyone have better ideas?
>> >
>> > kili

>> I slice potatoes 1/2 cm then I boil them for just 1 minute. Then I put

> them
>> in a oiled baking pan on only one layer. I season them with oil, salt,
>> pepper, thyme powder and a mix of reggiano cheese with breadcrumbs. At
>> the
>> end, some thin slices of butter. Put in the oven for 15 minutes, then

> finish
>> the cooking under the grill.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>> >

> You use thyme in the potatoes? I love thyme, that sounds interesting.
> Thanks, Pandora.

You are welcome. I love it too!! :))
Pan

> kili

Patricia Wells recipe removes any milk product and roux from the recipe, for
health conscious scalloped potato lovers.
Look at: http://specialflavors.com/collection/vegetables/potatoes.htm and
scroll down to "Baker's Wife's Potatoes" from her cookbook. It has become
the standard in our kitchen. When we want the milk taste we put in a small
amound of cream or milk just before assembling the dish. It also works great
with ham added, and you can add cheese.
Happy Holidaze to all.
Kent

news:[email protected]...

kilikini wrote:
> [snip]
> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
> little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
> potato mixture.
>
> Anyone have better ideas?

Gotta have some onions in there, either chopped and sweated before the
roux is done, or sliced and layered with the potatoes. A tiny bit of
an herb that will complement whatever the entree is can be added, too,
such as rosemary or thyme or dill. -aem

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> kilikini wrote:
>>> What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
>>>
>>> This is how I always do mine:
>>>
>>> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux,
>>> add
>>> a little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it
>>> over the potato mixture.
>>>
>>> Anyone have better ideas?
>>>
>>> kili

>> I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it
>> over the potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've
>> never used nutmeg in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some
>> breadcrumbs (gasp) on top with the extra grated cheese and for
>> colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika. Pop it in the oven and
>> bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook
> them covered or uncovered, Jill?
>
> kili

Uncovered. You (well, I) want the top to be nicely browned.

Jill

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> kilikini wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
> > little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
> > potato mixture.
> >
> > Anyone have better ideas?
> >

> Gotta have some onions in there, either chopped and sweated before the
> roux is done, or sliced and layered with the potatoes. A tiny bit of
> an herb that will complement whatever the entree is can be added, too,
> such as rosemary or thyme or dill. -aem

You're the second person to mention thyme. I have dried thyme leaves; I was
going to add it to my stuffing anyway. I can put it in my coffee grinder
and add it to the potatoes. Thank you!

kili

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> kilikini wrote:
>>> What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
>>>
>>> This is how I always do mine:
>>>
>>> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux,
>>> add
>>> a little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it
>>> over the potato mixture.
>>>
>>> Anyone have better ideas?
>>>
>>> kili

>> I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it
>> over the potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've
>> never used nutmeg in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some
>> breadcrumbs (gasp) on top with the extra grated cheese and for
>> colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika. Pop it in the oven and
>> bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook
> them covered or uncovered, Jill?
>
> kili

If you want something really different and insist on using nutmeg <G> slice
together sweet potatoes and white potatoes to make your au gratin. Nice and
festive! Bake uncovered to brown the top.

Jill

> kilikini wrote:
> > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> I melt the grated cheese into the white sauce "roux" then pour it
> >> over the potato mixture in a lightly buttered casserole dish. I've
> >> never used nutmeg in this. Salt & pepper, yes. Sprinkle some
> >> breadcrumbs (gasp) on top with the extra grated cheese and for
> >> colour add a sprinkling of ground paprika. Pop it in the oven and
> >> bake at about 325F for 40-45 minutes.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook
> > them covered or uncovered, Jill?
> >
> > kili

> If you want something really different and insist on using nutmeg <G>

slice
> together sweet potatoes and white potatoes to make your au gratin. Nice

and
> festive! Bake uncovered to brown the top.
>
> Jill

Jill, that may do the trick because once I mentioned sweet potatoes, Allan
wants 'em. Maybe a mixture of both would work.

kili

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> kilikini wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> You pretty much do what I do, but without nutmeg. Oh, do you cook
>>> them covered or uncovered, Jill?
>>>
>>> kili

>> If you want something really different and insist on using nutmeg
>> <G> slice together sweet potatoes and white potatoes to make your au
>> gratin. Nice and festive! Bake uncovered to brown the top.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Jill, that may do the trick because once I mentioned sweet potatoes,
> Allan wants 'em. Maybe a mixture of both would work.
>
> kili

I know you don't think you like sweet potatoes, but really, they are good.
I promise you, you'll like them. I like to just roast them like regular
baking potatoes and have them with salt, pepper & butter. If it helps at
all, don't think of them as a "southern" thing ;) They are an 'Americas'
thing; Honduras and are very popular in California. Hope this helps :)

Jill

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
>
> This is how I always do mine:
>
> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make
> a roux, add a
> little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then
> pour it over the
> potato mixture.
>
> Anyone have better ideas?
>
> kili

Mine!

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Au Gratin Potatoes

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 2
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Vegetables

-= Ingredients =-
3 Medium Potatoes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cups Shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 Cup Chopped onion
2 cloves garlic ; minced fine
1 Tablespoon All-purpose flour
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1 1/4 Cups Milk

-= Instructions =-
Cut potatoes into thin slices. In a saucepan, cook onion and
garlic inbutter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and
pepper. Cook over low heat,stirring constantly. Remove from
heat and stir in milk and 1/4 cups cheese.Heat to boiling
and boil for 1 minute. Place potatoes in ungreased
4-qt.casserole and pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Cook
uncovered at 350° for 1hour. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup
cheese on top and bake until melted.

Recipe by H Peagram

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

MoM

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:02:45 +0000, "MoM" <[email protected]> wrote:

> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Au Gratin Potatoes

Thanks for sharing this, Helen. I have all the ingredients, and we
both love cheesy potatoes. Betty Crocker usually makes them for me,
but I'm thinking I'll give these a shot very soon.

Carol

Carol,
Betty Crocker makes mine too . . . especially when I'm cooking for a
hundred. The one thing I do insist on is using evaporated milk. It
makes creamier potatoes than either half & half or even whipping cream.

If G-d had wanted us to cook from scratch, She wouldn't have invented
Betty Crocker!

Lynn in Fargo

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, kilikini wrote:

> What is the best tried and true recipe you've got?
>
> This is how I always do mine:
>
> Slice potatoes thinly in layers with LOTS of cheese, make a roux, add a
> little more cheese, white pepper, nutmeg, salt and then pour it over the
> potato mixture.
>
> Anyone have better ideas?
>
> kili

That's basically my recipe, too. I don't use the nutmeg. I fry bacon
crispy. Saute onions in the bacon fat and toss in a litttle minced garlic.
I layer the potatoes, like you do, adding the cheese and roux (made into
cheese sauce), onions, and crumbled bacon on each layer of potatoes. The
last few minutes of cooking, I top with cheese. When It comes out, I
sprinkle with more crumbled bacon.

Elaine, too

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:02:45 +0000, "MoM"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>
>> Au Gratin Potatoes

> Thanks for sharing this, Helen. I have all the
> ingredients, and we
> both love cheesy potatoes. Betty Crocker usually makes
> them for me,
> but I'm thinking I'll give these a shot very soon.
>
> Carol

Hope you like them, we do!

--
Helen in beautiful Fergus, Ontario Canada ~~ RVTOBFREE
www.mompeagram.homestead.com/