scandium frame and thomson post ?

HardCoreRacer

Aug 19, 2005
I have been having alot of troubles with my use Alien carbon seatpost with it slipping and the clamp moving after only a few longer rides, which means alot of stuffing around. I have decided to get rid of it and replace it with a thomson masterpiece, however im just wondering if the combination of a scandium frame and alumnum post will be too stiff and unforgiving ? the frame is full scandium tubes with a carbon seat stay.
Can anyone comment on their experiences ? as i have only ever used carbon and ti posts on my road bikes, but have a masterpiece on my mtb race bike. Also, i need a 0 setback post.
Thanks

HardCoreRacer said:
I have been having alot of troubles with my use Alien carbon seatpost with it slipping and the clamp moving after only a few longer rides, which means alot of stuffing around. I have decided to get rid of it and replace it with a thomson masterpiece, however im just wondering if the combination of a scandium frame and alumnum post will be too stiff and unforgiving ? the frame is full scandium tubes with a carbon seat stay.
Can anyone comment on their experiences ? as i have only ever used carbon and ti posts on my road bikes, but have a masterpiece on my mtb race bike. Also, i need a 0 setback post.
Thanks
A seatpost makes no friggin difference as to how you **** feels, assuming you put a saddle on top of it. The frame is actually aluminum alloy with a tiny % of Sc fairy dust.

thanks boudreaux. i guess i sort of knew what the answers were gonna be -No difference in feel, but thought id ask anyway before i shelled out for the masterpiece

HardCoreRacer said:
however im just wondering if the combination of a scandium frame and alumnum post will be too stiff and unforgiving ? the frame is full scandium tubes with a carbon seat stay.
Thanks
A scandium frame will feel no stiffer than any other series 7000 aluminum frame. Scandium is in fact another alloy of aluminum where manufacturers like Dadaccai add a small amount of the material, usually 0.5% to 7000 series Al. Small amount it may be but it makes a lot of difference in the material's yield point. Yield point is when the crystalline properties of the Al break down when subjected to intense heat, during welding for example. Adding scandium to aluminum results in a material with a higher yield point - therefore welded joints are stronger.

Also when using carbon seat post DO NOT apply grease or light lubrication on the inside of the seat tube. This is not necessary since carbon does not corrode. If your seatpost still slips it can only be that it is not the correct diameter.

hd reynolds said:
A scandium frame will feel no stiffer than any other series 7000 aluminum frame. Scandium is in fact another alloy of aluminum where manufacturers like Dadaccai add a small amount of the material, usually 0.5% to 7000 series Al. Small amount it may be but it makes a lot of difference in the material's yield point. Yield point is when the crystalline properties of the Al break down when subjected to intense heat, during welding for example. Adding scandium to aluminum results in a material with a higher yield point - therefore welded joints are stronger.

Also when using carbon seat post DO NOT apply grease or light lubrication on the inside of the seat tube. This is not necessary since carbon does not corrode. If your seatpost still slips it can only be that it is not the correct diameter.
youve totally missed the point of my question.
I was asking if a aluminum seatpost in a scandium/ aluminum frameset will be too stiff and unforgiving as compared to a carbon or titanium seatpost ? not whether the scandium frameset is stiffer than a aluminum one.

And youve also missed the point of my slipping seatpost question aswell. The use alien carbon post is marked 27.2mm the frames seat tube is 27.2mm and i have been happily using it for a while with another carbon post without issue.
So the post size is not the problem. I also have never put grease anywhere near the seat tube/seatpost so thats not the issue either, however you can use grase on a carbon seatpost if it is a tight fit, just ask the good folks at calfee, they recommend it!

but my main question is about how harsh the ride will be with aluminum post in a al frame, will i notice a harsher ride than i would with a carbon post ?

You might notice a difference if you're riding a size too small compact with a foot and a half of post. Typically, the seat post isn't long enough to have any effect. Especially with zero setback.

HardCoreRacer said:
youve totally missed the point of my question.
I was asking if a aluminum seatpost in a scandium/ aluminum frameset will be too stiff and unforgiving as compared to a carbon or titanium seatpost ? not whether the scandium frameset is stiffer than a aluminum one.

And youve also missed the point of my slipping seatpost question aswell. The use alien carbon post is marked 27.2mm the frames seat tube is 27.2mm and i have been happily using it for a while with another carbon post without issue.
So the post size is not the problem. I also have never put grease anywhere near the seat tube/seatpost so thats not the issue either, however you can use grase on a carbon seatpost if it is a tight fit, just ask the good folks at calfee, they recommend it!

but my main question is about how harsh the ride will be with aluminum post in a al frame, will i notice a harsher ride than i would with a carbon post ?
Regardless of frame material, the seatpost has got to be the stiffest thing between the road and your butt, whether it's CF or AL. Compared to the flex in your tires, saddle rails and saddle, any shock absorbing from the seatpost has got to be negligible (unless it's some special flex-beam design). In a blind comparison test, bet you'd never be able to detect the difference in a CF or AL seatpost.

Haven't seen the Masterpiece, but I use the Thomson Elite post, and it's a strong, high-quality piece. The post has machined grooves, which may help it stay in place. I use it with grease in a Zonal AL frame, and it's never slipped.