Scandium Frames

Originally posted by lokstah
kumbayah, my lord, kumbayah...

(let's see... at 20 cents a word, that's $.80... hmmm)
WHAT THE F#@K IS WITH 2 OF YOU?ARE YOU ONLY HERE TO BE SARCASTIC A-HOLES?IF YOUR LIVES ARE SO CRUDDY GO HEAD-ON INTO A MACK & SAVE US ALL YOUR GRIEF.

I normally don't get into strings that have fallen apart like this but I am afraid that I cannot resist this one.....

Bikehawk, for someone that claims to have done a great deal of research regarding frame materials, their properties (down to the atomic level, practically), ride qualities, etc. I think you over looked one very important detail: $$$. For you to complain about the cost of carbon, when you are contemplating Ti, is absolutley stupid and really makes me wonder what kind of research you have really done.

I would also like to point out that when many of us on these boards ride 1000 miles a month, expect to take a little ribbing when you throw that out as a season goal without any qualification. Given your circumstances, however, I give you a standing ovation and all my positive thoughts and wishes - it truly does sound like a very worthwhile endeavor and I wish you the best! Have fun and be safe and I really hope that a Mack does not find you.

Originally posted by bikehawk5
WHAT THE F#@K IS WITH 2 OF YOU?ARE YOU ONLY HERE TO BE SARCASTIC A-HOLES?IF YOUR LIVES ARE SO CRUDDY GO HEAD-ON INTO A MACK & SAVE US ALL YOUR GRIEF.

well if they are on scandium frames theyll prolly just walk away cause i read *on the internet* that its the ultimate frame material and is safer in a collision than a volvo.

Originally posted by fushman
well if they are on scandium frames theyll prolly just walk away cause i read *on the internet* that its the ultimate frame material and is safer in a collision than a volvo.

No, no, no, you misread that. It was

"...safer in a collision WITH a Volvo".

Everyone knows you always are best off hitting Audi's with aluminum, Mercedes with Titanium, Lexus with CF, and good ol' CrMo steel for most Ford and GM products (except Saturns; we still aren't too sure about them)....

laugh dammit, I said laugh....
:cool:

I am going by what people who own them have said to me;plus a few reviews i've read here & there online.If you have a CF bike that suits your riding needs i say Great!I just can't see myself shelling out what would be an appreciable amount of $$$ & find out it doesn't work out for me.Plus,it sounds like a Roadbike which i have great dificulty riding because of past injuries.All the best in your future rides.
How do you think you can take anyones word for what will work for you. If it isn't a road bike,material is likely even less of an issue because of the typically fatter tires on the other bike types. If material and particullarly alloy is is such an issue,I'd hate to know about your bigger ones.

Why are you going off on lokstah.He gave you some good info. Are you 12 or is that being too charatible?

Thanks, boudreaux... I was just going to stick up for myself.

My post was a jab at our resident curmudgeon for the "paid by the word" line, which he uses on me from time to time because I tend to go on, and on, and on explaining things, where he compresses a little beatdown into three words and walks off.

I've been haggled for being annoyingly diplomatic; the "kumbayah" line was a jab at myself. It's a campfire song about peace, remember?

There was no sarcasm in my long post about frame materials. Boudreaux means well, too, though he's got this grisly demeanor. Perhaps we can all use a drink? It's on Rudy tonight.

Bartender -- a Maker's Mark, double; an old fashioned (any bourbon will do); and a prune juice and gin, for the scowling guy lacing that Velocity Aerohead rim over there. On Rudy's tab. Thanks.

Seriously, though, every one of us schmucks is here to help.

If you're particularly fixated on sorting your choices in terms of materials, you should have a hard look at multi-material frames, which are just the cat's meow these days in the market. Most major frame maker has a model or two that slaps a carbon seatstay on an aluminum, steel, or even ti frame; a growing number of companies (Lemond, Specialized, Serotta) are coming up with elaborate frames that join carbon and metal tubing in roughly 50/50 configurations.

Whether or not they ride particularly better is up to whoever buys one -- what's clear about them is that they make it easier for some folks to feel good about the material their bike is made of. Just ask Cipher, who parades a stunning Lemond around these forums...

Our resident curmudgeon , though he's got his grisly demeanor... compresses a little beatdown into three words and walks off.

Couldn't have said it better myself and haven't laughed so hard in a long time. At .20 per, your account has been credited $3.80. Should be good for a beer of your choice....enjoy.

If you're particularly fixated on sorting your choices in terms of materials, you should have a hard look at multi-material frames, which are just the cat's meow these days in the market. Most major frame maker has a model or two that slaps a carbon seatstay on an aluminum, steel, or even ti frame; a growing number of companies (Lemond, Specialized, Serotta) are coming up with elaborate frames that join carbon and metal tubing in roughly 50/50 configurations.

What advantages do composite frames have over all metal or all carbon fiber frames? Do they outlast Carbon and have a better ride than metal? Do they cost less than a frame made out of only one material? I see that they look cool. Is that the appeal? Composite frames of the early nineties seemed to be the opposite of composite frames now. I remember that they had aluminum stays, but carbon main tubes.

John, here's the skinny as I understand it.

There's no inherent, obvious advantage or disadvantage to a well-made multi-material frame. There's only the potential to convey the properties of each of the materials employed -- Lemond, for instance, will claim that its 2004 steel/carbon Zurich sports steel's silky, responsive ride while saving weight and gaining stiffness via its carbon upper-half.

How much stock you put in that assesment, of course, depends on how much stock you put in those relative properties to begin with. Most people, myself included, put some faith in the relative properties of different materials, and likewise find multi frames exciting.

The benefit or disadvantage of a multi-material frame is likely to be as subtle and personal as the benefit of say, ti over aluminum, or vice versa. The only undeniable benefit is that they can be intriguing and cool, which is important. Sort of.